Adjustments to overnight basal rates

leggott

My sons bg seems to be rising between 2-3am in the morning, so I need to adjust his basal. I was thinking of increasing the rate between 11-1pm, but wasn't sure if I should be increasing the basal a little earlier than that (what time delay should I be working on) ie how long before should I be making the adjustment. I plan on making the smallest increase each time, to avoid any hypos.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hello - I'm having the same problems. Originally I was told by my DSN to adjust 2hrs hrs before the rise time starts but I started having hypos in the early days of pumping. I then read from an useful link on here that it should be 1 hour so this is what I use now.

At the moment I'm increasing my basal from 9pm to 2am in small increments (I was starting to get higher sugars at 10.00pm through to 3am). I have to say I've been adjusting now for the past 2/3 weeks and the jump that's needed in basal from 9pm is quite significant or so it seems to me - 0.70 to 0.950, and it still doesn't seem to be enough. Are you finding basal requirement during this time quite a lot more?

Hope this info helps.

Cheryl

I'd look at the hours 12-1 or 1-2, it really depends which insulin you're using & how quickly it gets active. Start with the smallest increment, test for a couple of nights then adjust again. Small changes ate safest.