metformin

timps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
cruelty in any form
:( I am being prescribed Metformin,I am very overweight and finding it very hard to lose weight at all.
I am type 2 and also have thyroid problems which I take levothyroxine for , only diagnosed 56 weeks ago.

will this metformin interfere with my losing any weight? I am dreading being any heavier (14 st 8 lbs) 5ft 1" and 68 yrs old. use arm crutches and cannot do physical exercise.
Trying low carb diet. any advise would be very welcome.
I have been reading messages and questions on this site and feel someone out there can help me.
Have asked other questions and had good results
carole
Trying to keep :)

timps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
cruelty in any form
sorry that should read 6 weeks ago!!it must be a senior moment.
carole :eh:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Other way around, it should help you to lose weight.

I begged my Doctor to let me stay on it, because it did such a great job of knocking off the pounds (but unfortunately he said no).

Defren

borofergie said:
Other way around, it should help you to lose weight.

I begged my Doctor to let me stay on it, because it did such a great job of knocking off the pounds (but unfortunately he said no).

It is an appetite suppressant, I started doing very gentle exercise on a treadmill only last Friday, but with the low carb diet and Metformin have lost 34 pounds in seven weeks. I did have really bad appetite problems initially which made eating difficult, but I hope my weight loss will give you hope you can loose weight with no exercise.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Yes it works for me as a great appetite suppressant so wouldn't worry unduly.

jopar

When was the last time you had your thyroid function checked?

As an under active can make it very difficult to lose weight, so if taking medication you need a regular check to ensure that the dose of thyroxine is correct...

So if you haven't recently had it checked, ask your gp to check it out

timps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
cruelty in any form
thank you for answering my problems all.feel better for reading the answers.

Jopar, I had my thyroid checked for the 2nd time last Monday (a week ago ) the results that came back on thursday via my nurse
were thyroid down from6.47 to 2.02 glucose 7.8 down to7.6 cholesterol5.4 down to 5.3. the nurse said she did not think that I was eating enough ( I have kept a diary since the day diagnosed) so it was then that because she said I had been careful and had eaten the right things she was going to put me on the metformin. supposed to pick up prescription this week( IF the doctor agree's with her.)
They do not like you to test your glucose yourself so no joy there, they are very unlikely to change their minds on that one. they are making an app for me with a dietition but they say it could be a long time before I get an appointment

If I want to know anything I will come on to this forum as the help is great thanks again everyone for the help and encouragement.
Should I think about testing myself and buying my own tester and strips perhaps

tree-peony

they don't want you to test because they would have to pay for the meter and the strips!

moi??? cynical??

maybe just a little!

jopar

I would say to the meter, yep buy one and strips if they won't supply one, but do keep asking your diabetic nurse, Just keep saying how do I know what foods are good for me etc if I can't test, and show them your data from your own testing..

If you contact one of the meter's manufacturers they might actually send you one free..

There's a lot of information on here, various methods, but a lot of what you can and can't eat, or foods you put on a treat list really is down to how you respond to the meter..

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi timps. Using a meter can be a good way to work out for your self what foods are causing you the worst problems. I can't tell you that you should get one but many members who are denied a meter and supplies on the NHS do go down the self funding route and have found that it is worthwhile. It all depends on how serious you are to take control of diet.

If you do decide to get one I can say that many of the newer members have got the SD Codefree as it has the cheapest test strips by far. It is only imported by one supplier into the UK and if you look on ebay or Amazon you will find them. Ebay is the cheapest if you are ordering more than one item as on there you will only pay the one £2 postage.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have been on Metformin for almost 10 years and although I lost a LOT of weight[ 3 stone] initially, the effect has worn off. In fact it doesn't do much to my BG either. Could it be that it's possible to adqapt to Met so thoroughly it ceases to have any effect?
I'll ask the question separately
Hana

Defren

timps said:
Should I think about testing myself and buying my own tester and strips perhaps

YES!! Few T2's are given a meter and strips, I certainly wasn't and I wasn't encouraged to test either, but I did it anyway. Without a meter how can you learn what you can and can't tolerate. As far as I am concerned, my testing kit is the most important thing I own.

TypeIIDieter

I caught diabetes II sometime last summer or fall; since then I've lost about 60 pounds, though I haven't been at all good about exercise. I've been taking metformin, and at the beginning it acted as a sort of laxative. Now, well... for all I can tell it might as well be a sugar pill - doesn't do anything to blood sugar or appetite that I can tell. I still take it just in case. But IMHO your #1 dieting aid should be your METER. Things are different now compared to back when you were just toughing it out with willpower and a quack diet plan - now you can call your body's bluff, tell when you're _really_ hungry versus when you have a high blood glucose and you know darn well you shouldn't have to eat. Not saying I haven't gotten tempted and done wrong ... just that I knew better.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi,

I have been on Metfromin for 4 years now, my weight has gone from 14st to 9st 10lbs ( I am 5 FT). I know that it will not go up as my appetite is much less. I enjoy treats but much smaller ones than before, I eat 1 square of chocolate instead of a whole bar !!
Good luck.