Started Metformin today

GerryBolger

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Eventually (as now live in France) someone has taken. price of my increasing Hb1Ac

Was Rx 500mg twice a day but reading it’s a nasty ****** in your gut. I have IBS and while there is no SR/XD in France there is another type which is gentler and between myself (a nurse) and a very conscientious pharmacist we strayed me on a Emulate of Metformin (not idea what it is).

Have started so will see if I start to get any side effects.

• Hug
Reactions: filly

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @GerryBolger . Are you telling us you are taking a medication but you don’t know what it is? That would alarm me, if I didn’t have full info on a prescribed med.
Do you mean it is a generic version of metformin? Glucophage, for example?

GerryBolger

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @GerryBolger . Are you telling us you are taking a medication but you don’t know what it is? That would alarm me, if I didn’t have full info on a prescribed med.
Do you mean it is a generic version of metformin? Glucophage, for example?

No, not at all! It’s not in the UK BNF so it’s unlikely to be known. It’s a glucophage but a modified one.

Reactions: Pipp

GerryBolger

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I suppose the question I do have is. as a sufferer of IBS, how soon would I potential notice any side effects.

• Hug
Reactions: Paul41 and Melgar

mouseee

I have IBS and was OK after a few weeks. I didn't have huge side effects and then 3 years later my stomach went a bit bonkers. Apparently that can happen. I moved to slow release but there isn't much difference.
Taking them with food is a good way to reduce gastro side effects.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had to have slow release Metformin as had very severe cramps. I did have a little cramping even with the SR but it subsided after a couple of weeks.
I would have said the side effects, if you had any, would be within 2-3 days and subside after 1-2 weeks which is what happens with most people. As @mouseee has said taking with food helps reduce any symptoms.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a metformin user. It's usual to increase this medication in increments of 500 mg (should an increased dose prove necessary), until your blood glucose is controlled. Many of us are prescribed between 500 mg and 2000 mg daily for years.

Diarrhoea is a well known side effect of higher doses, particularly following carbohydrate-heavy meals, but we're all different. If affected, I'd have plenty of water and water-based beverages like tea and coffee to drink. If the diarrhoea persists for more than two weeks, I'd seek a medical view.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am fortunate to have never had any problems taking Metformin.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have quick Metformin question. My liver, more often than it should, fails to correct lows and my blood sugars go into free fall. It has on occasion fallen to the low 2s. I have to correct it myself with candy/sweets. Would Metformin aggravate an already problematic situation? It's something that is going to come up with my next Ac1 review in a few weeks time. Thanks.