High BG readings

oakdaledave

Hi, I have read quite a lot on this forum but cant find the answer to this question. At what number would a BG reading be considered to be getting dangerously high? I'm getting 7's - 14's at the moment. Thank you.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I was told by the hospital that anything above 15mmol/l is what they consider a very high reading.

oakdaledave

Paul1976 said:
I was told by the hospital that anything above 15mmol/l is what they consider a very high reading.

Oh crikey :( Better watch it then. I am on diet and excersise only. Being disabled doesnt help with the latter though!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
How many carbs are you eating, Dave? I'm not immobile but I can't do much in the way of exercise. I also have weight problems so I keep my carb intake pretty low (under 50g) most of the time - though I do occasionally have off days :oops: .

If Xyzzy is right about Metformin helping to prevent spikes (and I can see no reason why he shouldn't be), it might be worth considering taking it. Talk to your GP. You could ask to start on the slow release (SR) version to prevent digestive problems, and maybe just one a day to start with.

The other thing is, drink plenty of water. I try to get through 2 litres a day (which includes tea and coffee, but juices don't count!). I've heard on here that it helps flush the glucose out of your system.

If you do see a reading of 15 or over, phone NHS Direct and/or get yourself to A&E. Do you test your urine for ketones? Get yourself some test sticks. If you get high BGs and high ketones, A&E is your first port of call. Particularly if you feel nauseous as well.

It's unusual for Type 2s to get ketoacidosis, but we can.

Best of luck

Viv 8)

Grazer

The sugar free squash is ok. If you're getting readings consistently in double figures, you either need to cut the carbs even more, or go onto medication. I'd have thought metformin was a no-brainer for you. Safe and helps against future cardio problems-providing, that is, there is no medical reason why you shouldn't take it (kidney probs etc) It won't do a lot to reduce BGs though, so you may need more meds on top.
Are you sure about the 75 grams of carbs? Don't wish to insult you, but some people don't realise just what some foods have carbs wise. One person said they ate only a few carbs, but had loads of fruit and veg! I'm sure it won't apply to you, but do check just what you are eating. Your current levels do look too high.

oakdaledave

Grazer said:
The sugar free squash is ok. If you're getting readings consistently in double figures, you either need to cut the carbs even more, or go onto medication. I'd have thought metformin was a no-brainer for you. Safe and helps against future cardio problems-providing, that is, there is no medical reason why you shouldn't take it (kidney probs etc) It won't do a lot to reduce BGs though, so you may need more meds on top.
Are you sure about the 75 grams of carbs? Don't wish to insult you, but some people don't realise just what some foods have carbs wise. One person said they ate only a few carbs, but had loads of fruit and veg! I'm sure it won't apply to you, but do check just what you are eating. Your current levels do look too high.

Hi Grazer,

I didn't feel insulted at all, in fact you are right, I had a better look at some things I have been eating and think I consume more carbs than I thought. Need to look at my eating habits more closely me thinks!