Claiming DLA

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
mrburden said:
I fully understand that a 4 year old will not be expected to administer their own insulin. However, to receive the highest rate of DLA, one would need to be unable to walk more than 5 mtrs, communicate with others or do any task that a "normal" person of that age could do. With that in mind, receiving the highest rates are very unlikely.

I did state that the "Assistance part of the DLA" should be mandatory, the mobility allowance would not be granted unless the claimant has mobility problems and I dont recall the OP saying there was any disability.

The DLA (at present) has two distinct parts the mobility allowance and an assistance allowance, either one can be claimed without the other, so a child unable to manage a condition such as insulin dependant diabetes would be able to claim only the assistance allowance unless there were other conditions to take into account.

kazwbb

Unbeliever said:
if the poster sends in any written medical eidence he has and the nalmes and contact details for them he will probably have no problems at all

I have to disagree with this. The OP should get help from their CAB to fill in the forms. I am waiting on appeal after being turned down. I have Osteoarthritis, neuropathy, palmarplantar keratoderma, renal failure as well as diabetes and some other things. I have an NHS wheelchair, have great difficulty using my hands and still got turned down on just my medical evidence alone.

It may be worth the OP speaking to social services and asking to be put in touch with their local welfare benefits advisor. I have one now and am a lot more confident about the future. I would however agree with the general feeling here that you will very likely not get the highest rate.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Unbeliever

kazwbb said:
Unbeliever said:
if the poster sends in any written medical eidence he has and the nalmes and contact details for them he will probably have no problems at all

I have to disagree with this. The OP should get help from their CAB to fill in the forms. I am waiting on appeal after being turned down. I have Osteoarthritis, neuropathy, palmarplantar keratoderma, renal failure as well as diabetes and some other things. I have an NHS wheelchair, have great difficulty using my hands and still got turned down on just my medical evidence alone.

It may be worth the OP speaking to social services and asking to be put in touch with their local welfare benefits advisor. I have one now and am a lot more confident about the future. I would however agree with the general feeling here that you will very likely not get the highest rate.

I think you quoted me slightly out of context.. I encouraged the posterat some length to go to the CAB or other agencies. Not just for DLA but because hey may be able to help im in other ways because of the effects of the situation with his daughter.
It is always well worth getting advice from someone experienced in these matters.

It is a discretionary benefit not a right and assessed by Civil Servants in the first instance. I these circumstances here are bound to be anomalies . It is very difficult to complete these forms especially if you are otally unused to them and maybe illness and medication make it more difficult.
The advisors help the claimant to present a comprehensive picture of the effects of the condition. It is a one-size-fits -all form and ias such it s not always clear how a question affects a particular condiion. or claimant.

Some conditions and circmstances are easier to explain than others. That is what I meant in the comment you have quoted.
If the OP presented eveidence of he medical condition I cannot imagine that here would be any problem in his being awarded DLA.
An advisor would help him to explain the position fully .