• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Our meals, back in the day, were mainly a little meat with a lot of vegetables - mostly home-grown! A lot of the meat was also home-grown (I grew up on a farm), too. I don't think we had many, if any, vegetarian meals. How different life is today - I still base my meals around vegetables, with only a little, if any, meat, but I don't expect to eat meat very often. I do wish, though, that one could buy liver and kidneys more easily in this country. We had liver this week, and I expect I'll buy it at least once during our holiday in France.

However, today I had a poached egg on toast spread with butter and Marmite (we are out of cream cheese, and I have no idea of buying any until I can get the kind we like in France); lunch with visitors was a mixed vegetable salad - some veg cooked, some raw - with burrata and seeded sourdough bread for those who wanted it (I didn't, for some reason), followed by melon. Supper has just been a slow-cooker chicken casserole followed by yoghurt with the end of the stewed plums.

I didn't go to the Windmill harvest festival, as my husband was out taking his brother back to the station, and it wasn't a very nice day. Plus I was tired after preaching, even though I didn't walk home; we did, however, walk up to the monthly evening Communion service at another church, so have got my step count in. Tomorrow will also be a bit manic, finishing packing - I couldn't bring stuff through from the spare room as we had visitors, so will have to do it tomorrow - I've made a list of things I need to remember!
 
Our meals, back in the day, were mainly a little meat with a lot of vegetables - mostly home-grown! A lot of the meat was also home-grown (I grew up on a farm), too. I don't think we had many, if any, vegetarian meals. How different life is today - I still base my meals around vegetables, with only a little, if any, meat, but I don't expect to eat meat very often. I do wish, though, that one could buy liver and kidneys more easily in this country. We had liver this week, and I expect I'll buy it at least once during our holiday in France.

However, today I had a poached egg on toast spread with butter and Marmite (we are out of cream cheese, and I have no idea of buying any until I can get the kind we like in France); lunch with visitors was a mixed vegetable salad - some veg cooked, some raw - with burrata and seeded sourdough bread for those who wanted it (I didn't, for some reason), followed by melon. Supper has just been a slow-cooker chicken casserole followed by yoghurt with the end of the stewed plums.

I didn't go to the Windmill harvest festival, as my husband was out taking his brother back to the station, and it wasn't a very nice day. Plus I was tired after preaching, even though I didn't walk home; we did, however, walk up to the monthly evening Communion service at another church, so have got my step count in. Tomorrow will also be a bit manic, finishing packing - I couldn't bring stuff through from the spare room as we had visitors, so will have to do it tomorrow - I've made a list of things I need to remember!
If you have a Morrisons near you, they usually stock liver and kidney.
 
@Mrs Redboots - safe journey later today and wishing you a lovely holiday.
Leftover roast chicken with salad today. The last of the green garden tomatoes that were brought indoors have ripened so I will be cooking some for breakfast.
Planning some more baking today - I have a monthly subscription from Panda Pantry and it always includes a freebie and this month's was almond cookie mix - he suggests variations on flavours to add so may use some orange zest. Interestingly he suggests using a mix of lard and butter like his pastry recipe as produces a better texture - will report back! Probably won't be time today but also have low carb parkin plans today or tomorrow. Depends on how much time it takes sorting out a few issues. We have tickets on Wednesday for the CBSO so I'm keen to get stuff sorted so we can have a trip out to listen to some live uplifting music including Elgar's Variations.
 
Our meals, back in the day, were mainly a little meat with a lot of vegetables - mostly home-grown! A lot of the meat was also home-grown (I grew up on a farm), too. I don't think we had many, if any, vegetarian meals. How different life is today - I still base my meals around vegetables, with only a little, if any, meat, but I don't expect to eat meat very often. I do wish, though, that one could buy liver and kidneys more easily in this country. We had liver this week, and I expect I'll buy it at least once during our holiday in France.

However, today I had a poached egg on toast spread with butter and Marmite (we are out of cream cheese, and I have no idea of buying any until I can get the kind we like in France); lunch with visitors was a mixed vegetable salad - some veg cooked, some raw - with burrata and seeded sourdough bread for those who wanted it (I didn't, for some reason), followed by melon. Supper has just been a slow-cooker chicken casserole followed by yoghurt with the end of the stewed plums.

I didn't go to the Windmill harvest festival, as my husband was out taking his brother back to the station, and it wasn't a very nice day. Plus I was tired after preaching, even though I didn't walk home; we did, however, walk up to the monthly evening Communion service at another church, so have got my step count in. Tomorrow will also be a bit manic, finishing packing - I couldn't bring stuff through from the spare room as we had visitors, so will have to do it tomorrow - I've made a list of things I need to remember!
Hope the packing goes well today and that the holiday is a wonderful one.

Breakfast: I'm using up the puffed spelt. It's not use for anything that I can see, other than a breakfast cereal. I shan't buy it again, but it was worth a try.
2nd meal will be sausage casserole. The sausages are cooked and I just need to add some veg.

I'm finding that the simpler the better these days. My days of being a cook/baker are well and truly over, it seems. Same with gardening. I've given up. Just can't do it.

Somewhat troubled about my eyes. They are in a bad way and getting worse fairly rapidly. My SIL has a similar, but much less pronounced problem and her opthalmologist is keeping a very close eye on her and says she must let her know as soon as she detects any deterioration. I can't seem to get to see an opthalmologist at the moment, even though the last time I was there, she said they couldn't do anything until it got worse, at which point I should get referred back. I suppose the waiting list is too long for a once a month clinic on the Island.
 
If you have a Morrisons near you, they usually stock liver and kidney.
Alas, we don't! I did find liver in a Tesco Superstore recently, but our local Lidl, Tesco, and Sainsbury's appear not to stock it. In France, you can often buy kidneys cooked in a madeira sauce as a ready-meal - absolutely lush!

I think we are mostly packed, except for fresh food. Hospital rang my husband to tell him to come as near to 14:00 as possible, but to bring a book as it would be a busy clinic. His appointment was originally for 15:55, but I do hope they see him before then - it will only be a 5-minute checkup, if that. We postponed one of his errands until we are en route - that, too, will only take 5 minutes, but would have taken nearly an hour had he had to go there and come back. So we have had our lunch (the remains of yesterday's salad extended with more olives and avocado, accompanied by a hard-boiled egg and multigrain sourdough bread and butter - 1/2 slice in my case, 1 1/2 slices in his, followed by the remains of the melon), and when he lets me know he's on his way home, I'll pack up the fridge stuff into the cold bags and be ready to put the last bits in the car.

In hindsight, it would have been better to have brought the motorhome (known as the WoMo) up to London for once - we don't do it often, because parking, but we could have gone straight from here and not had the slight issue of time - we would like to get to Sussex before dark so we can see to wash the pigeon poo off the machine (it shares its garage with pigeons!) and fill it up with water.

Breakfast was overnight oats - the last for a couple of weeks as we don't take our cereals with us when travelling - and supper, whenever we get round to eating it, will be chicken casserole, which I'm going to pad out with some "Savoury Chicken" microwave rice, as then it might (I hope) do us twice more, not just once! Followed by yoghurt, probably with a banana and a little brown sugar or honey. We have too many bananas - they don't travel well, and shouldn't have bought more on Saturday, as I forgot we'd probably get a couple in the "goody bag" my church gives preachers at the end of the service in case they are too busy talking and the food (mostly fruit, often cake, occasionally sandwiches) all disappears!
 
Woke really early so had a breakfast of ff greek yoghurt, seeds, nuts and raspberries, and a slice of lc bread with marmite. It's unusual for me to eat before an exercise session but I had a 4 hour gap today!
Exercise class, errands
Lunch was 1 slice ham, cold chicken, half a perfect avocado (yay!) And a spoonful coleslaw. Later there was hm lc coffee cake with coffee ice cream
Not dinner as such, just a small piece of pecorino cheese and some olives, and a large glass of wine mixed with soda water
 
Didn't get the low carb parkin baked yesterday but did do the cookies and a fruit loaf. Planning on doing the parkin this morning.
Dinner today will be cod in a hm sauce with veggies.
Trying to get ahead and stock up my freezer low carb supplies as some busy days ahead. When life is more challenging I find I need some low carb treats and bread in stock so that I don't get tempted! I'm sure it would be better if I could just give up bread, for example, but it has been too much of a life long staple for me - so baking the low carb high fibre Panda Flour versions keeps me on track.
 
Yesterday: Porridge for breakfast, cauliflower cheese for lunch and chili con carne for tea.

I'm in a funny mood at the moment, maybe it's the change of the season or just a phase I'm going through. I feel a bit depressed, not flat out clinical depression but definitely low. On the other hand my general health is better than it has been for years, and I have improved energy now I've lost weight.

Today it's porridge for breakfast, cauliflower and fish fingers for lunch and the last of the chili con carne for tea with resistant starch rice.
 
Bit of a changeroo. I had some croissants which - goodness knows how - ended up in my online shop the other day. I spotted them and instantly turned into a hobbit and had a second breakfast :oops: So I'm off out into the garden to burn the sugar off now.
 
Good evening from Landrecies, near Valenciennes. Food today is not what I'd call healthy; we started off with a banana to keep us going, and then we couldn't resist the lure of a "Big Breakfast Bap" in the terminal at Folkestone, although neither of us ate more than half the sausage spiral, and I only ate half my bap. This meant we weren't hungry for lunch, so when we arrived here at about 4, we ate the rest of the sausage and our first-day patisseries (strawberry tartlets, yum!). Now, after a walk, we are having salmon fillets with mashed cauliflower, which may or may not be followed by yoghurt, or perhaps Bonne Maman Café Liegois (coffee dessert topped with whipped cream). And now my supper is ready, so I must go. ETA pudding will be yoghurt with fruit compote - rhubarb for him (yuck!) and nectarine for me. Very noisy ducks here by the river!
 
Last edited:
Yoga, then 2 eggs cheese omelette with 1 slice heylo with marmite and cheese.
Was booked to do weight training later, but trainer poorly, so ended up being out of sorts and unable to settle to anything else. Wasted the rest of the day.
Dinner was a concoction of cabbage and sweet peppers and cold chicken and paprika and Worcestershire sauce. Kept throwing in spices and sauce until it stopped tasting too sweet. Pud was yoghurt with chopped nuts and 1 sq 85%
 
Off out today so just about to have a quick low carb granola breakfast and to make a low carb roll as a picnic lunch - it's certainly warm enough for a picnic! Will treat ourselves out for a coffee but low carb cafe lunches can be difficult to find and costly. Got a hm LC lasagne out of the freezer ready for this evening when back from our matinee concert later. Hope it's a good day for you all.
 
Hope you are having/have had a lovely time @shelley262 !

I was out running errands this morning.

I'm a bit off colour and headachey - headaches are very unusual for me. I sneezed a couple of times the other day and I think it must be a mild version of some virus or other.

Porridge for breakfast, scrambled eggs and two mini corn on the cob for lunch, and I am not hungry so I think it'll be cheese and a few crackers for tea with spring onions and tomatoes from the garden/polytunnel.
 
The last of the puffed spelt cereal for breakfast, but there wasn't much of it so I finished off with 2 lentil cakes with vegetable pate. Tea.

I have some more of the sausage casserole to use up, but at the moment I don't feel as though I'll be ready to eat it before my deadline of 7pm. So I might just go without.
 
Good evening from Chalons-en-Champagne, previously known, of course, as Chalons-sur-Marne. Breakfast was scrambled eggs on one slice of seeded sourdough toast (I followed a hack from Sorted Food and stirred a teaspoonful of creme fraiche into it, which made it absolutely delicious!). Mid-morning, after another walk round the town (plus shopping), I had a tiny sliver of cake. Lunch was another slice of seeded sourdough (we will finish it tomorrow, I think) with cream cheese, ham, and a hard-boiled egg left over from the other day. Followed by a slice of ice-cream (French Vienettas come in several different flavours, and I tend to buy them when we are here, as one does us four times or more. This one was raspberry, and there is a caramel one in the freezer.) with a dollop of creme fraiche. I had another sliver of cake - fruit cake, this time, after practising tai chi and hoping it wouldn't rain again before I was done, having got wet once today on my morning walk. Supper was the last of the chicken casserole with extra peas and followed by a Bonne Maman coffee dessert.
 
Hope you are having/have had a lovely time @shelley262 !

I was out running errands this morning.

I'm a bit off colour and headachey - headaches are very unusual for me. I sneezed a couple of times the other day and I think it must be a mild version of some virus or other.

Porridge for breakfast, scrambled eggs and two mini corn on the cob for lunch, and I am not hungry so I think it'll be cheese and a few crackers for tea with spring onions and tomatoes from the garden/polytunnel.
Wonderful concert and weather thank you. Hope you feel better soon. My day out really was a tonic but back to it tomorrow!
 
Didn't sleep well so had a lazy start, no breakfast and a trip to IKEA.
Had meatballs and fries but nowhere near as tasty as they used to be, and only lukewarm. Hubby had cake as well.
Picked up a few essentials and a couple of Christmas bits. Hubby bought 3 cakes but turns out 2 are on very short dates.
Dinner was mince with hidden cabbage in and celeriac mash. Loving having first autumnal foods of the season.
A few squares chocolate (too many)
 
Back
Top