• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

30 plants a week?

SepticTank

Member
Messages
9
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen a couple of places where this topic crops up, most recently for me it was last week in the NY Times. My curiosity was piqued, I don't go out of my way to eat a specific number of plant based items a week but I do believe that variety is the spice of life.

It does my head in that for the last decade when I go out to eat at a restaurant in the US you can guarantee that broccoli is the main, if not only, vegetable on the menu. Don't get me wrong, I like broccoli but for crying out loud it's not the only vegetable that is readily available, serving it day in and day out is just lazy and unimaginative.

So, without further ado, how varied were (or weren't) you this past week? Counting apparently includes varieties of the same thing, eg onions, peppers, nuts, tea. I was quite surprised that mine went over thirty and wouldn't say that that is unusual for me.

My week's intake:
Broccoli
Steel cut oats
Almonds
Walnuts
Raisins
Dates
Cashews
Pistachios
Peanuts
Avocado
White Mushrooms
Chestnut Mushrooms
Red onion
Yellow onion
Garlic
Red Pepper
Green Pepper
Yellow Pepper
Orange Pepper
Jalapeno Pepper
Chile de Arbol Pepper
Coriander (as a vegetable side)
Baby Carrots
Aubergine
Chia seeds
Milled flax
Courgette
Plum tomatoes
Cherry tomatoes
Cauliflower
Brown rice
Lettuce
Celery
Olive oil
Sesame oil
Soy sauce
Granny Smith apples
Cara Cara oranges
Refried beans (Pinto)
Kidney beans
Limes
Coffee (black)
Builders tea (black)
Earl Grey tea (black)

(Drived chives, black pepper, coriander, basil and probably a couple of other herbs and spices)
 
Too much carb in many of those for me.

At a guess:
Broad beans as part of a tuscan sausage and beans
Kidney beans plus carrots/celery/onions ( small amounts minced as a sauce base for meat chilli)
Tomato passata as part of a fish stew
Spinach with steak
Coffee @ six a day
Herbs - Thyme sage rosemary etc for flavour but not eaten

Think that's it.
 
Too much carb in many of those for me.

At a guess:
Broad beans as part of a tuscan sausage and beans
Kidney beans plus carrots/celery/onions ( small amounts minced as a sauce base for meat chilli)
Tomato passata as part of a fish stew
Spinach with steak
Coffee @ six a day
Herbs - Thyme sage rosemary etc for flavour but not eaten

Think that's it.
I'm still getting my head round the carb intake aspect and with zero guidance from the quack I'm having to feel my way in the dark.
Processed sugars are easy to weed out with home cooking (the soy sauce was a one off already in the dish when I got caught out at a local restaurant yesterday), but kicking out nearly all root veg and fruit is going to take some getting used to.
Juggling high cholesterol, mild lactose intolerance (excess mucus production, of all things!) and T2 is going to take a bit of getting used to.
I'm still a little skeptical about my diagnosis and not quite sure that this isn't just my US quack trying to get me hooked on all the junk US big pharma is aiming to sell me.
Cutting out wheat has been great though - after decades of reflux I have not had a single episode since dropping the wheat and have been able to eat tomatoes again without getting the screaming abdabs in my stomach. They appear to have been a terrible combo for which the tomatoes got more than their fair share of the blame.
 
Lemon and ginger tea
Peppermint tea
Coffee
Blue berries
Raspberries
Strawberries
Blackberries
cherries
Cavalo nero
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Mange tout
Red cabbage
Green beans
Chia seeds
Flax seeds
Pine nuts
Pumpkin seeds
Root ginger
Lemon slice
Avocado
Yellow pepper
Celery
Rocket
Fennel
Lime
Garlic
Chilli
Sage
Rosemary
Cumin
Turmeric
Paprika
Walnuts
Pecans
Almonds
Hazelnuts
Parsley
Cucumber
Leek
Banana
Mushrooms
 
Cherry tomatoes
Celery
Broccoli several times (sorry it a favourite of mine
Low carb cauliflower cheese
Mushrooms
Onions
Peppers
Tinned tomato
Courgette - lots of times
Almonds
Lemon
Numerous herbs & spices too many to remember
Black Coffees
Various fruit teas
Black teas
Green beans
Asparagus
White cabbage
Avocado
Kale
Few garden peas
Iceberg lettuce
Pomegranate seeds on a salad
Strawberries
Raspberries
Bit of green apple
 
I'm still getting my head round the carb intake aspect and with zero guidance from the quack I'm having to feel my way in the dark.
Processed sugars are easy to weed out with home cooking (the soy sauce was a one off already in the dish when I got caught out at a local restaurant yesterday), but kicking out nearly all root veg and fruit is going to take some getting used to.
Juggling high cholesterol, mild lactose intolerance (excess mucus production, of all things!) and T2 is going to take a bit of getting used to.
I'm still a little skeptical about my diagnosis and not quite sure that this isn't just my US quack trying to get me hooked on all the junk US big pharma is aiming to sell me.
Cutting out wheat has been great though - after decades of reflux I have not had a single episode since dropping the wheat and have been able to eat tomatoes again without getting the screaming abdabs in my stomach. They appear to have been a terrible combo for which the tomatoes got more than their fair share of the blame.
If you're looking for some guidance on carb content I've always found DietDoctor to be be very handy.

 
Hi everyone.

A number of posts where swinging this thread off topic and were moved to a more appropriate discussion in the link below.

Please be mindful this topic is regarding the variation of plant based food & affects on diabetes management.

Regards,

Jaylee. On behalf of the mod team.
 
Back
Top