The Heat

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
As most of you know I am in Italy:

I have just got back from the UK and my morning reading was always 5-5.5 sleeping great... Now back in Italy where the temperature at 11pm is still in the 30s and it's hard to sleep and waking up sweating, Morning readings are 6-6.6 Could it be the heat doing this?

Thanks

Davide

******.....Just read this article on the website...I drink about 4-5 a day while in Italy, could this be the reason..

Caffeine and blood sugar levels

Caffeine has been shown to impair insulin sensitivity in people with type 2 diabetes, indicating that coffee may see higher blood glucose levels.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
But there are reports out there too that say coffee is good for you.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Caffenated coffee used to effect my BG so i switched to decaf. i understand that if you are in Italy it is very hard to resist those espressos but you might give it a try.

and i am quite sure that the heat probably effects the readings as well. at a guess make sure that you are very hydrated so drink lots of water!!

and think a bit of us who have not really seen any decent sunshine ....oh ....for about two weeks...

arrivederci :)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Depending on the tollerances of your test strips, heat can affect the result readings, but as to how much will probably depend on brand to brand.

dlmoak

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are sweating a lot then you may be getting a bit dehydrated. Dehydration increases blood sugar levels because your body will leach fluid from the blood and leave the glucose behind (so you have the same amount of glucose in a lower volume of fluid - a higher percentage of glucose).

Coffee doesn't seem to bother me.