A very off-beat question !!

leather_ferret

Dislikes
Doctors who think they know more than they do and are too arrogant to refer you on when they reach the limits of their ability.
Celebratory status, insane wages high fashion and womens make-up
(I'll get shot syaing things like that! :o))
Hi Guys,

long time no see .... all is well under control in the diabetes department ... mostly anyway :eek:) Pancreas is being a little s**t as usual :(

My daughter asked me this question

"would a single one off massive dose of sugar be likely to cause harm to an animal's kidneys"

Says I, .... I'm bit of an animal myself at times but I've no idea! ... it certainly wouldn't do me any good :lol:

Assuming similar biological processes in healthy non-diabetic mammals of all sorts, and given the medical knowledge of folks here, does anyone have any pointers or ideas as to likely processes and effects please ??

Cheers to all .... and hoping folks are keeping 'relatively' well

Pancreatic Dave

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No personal experience of this - but my Dad (not overweight, otherwise healthy, but a (then!) smoker) was diagnosed as T2 after a heart attack while he was on holday in spain a few years back.

He recently confessed that he'd eated a silly amount of chocolate that day. Multiple family size Galaxy bars. :think:

So, to answer your question - absolutely no bloody idea.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, :)
Animals are quite clever when it comes to eating. :D

You should tell your daughter the answer is no.
however let her find out how animals react to some kinds of foods.

What comes out the other side will reveal a good answer. "Sweet Smell"

Just make sure there is plenty of water and be prepared for a little sickness.

Roy.

jopar

It depends whether the 'sugar' is contained within certain foods...

Chocolate will kill most small animals, such as dog has the can't process the Theobromine in it..

And you get foods, such as mushrooms, garlic, onions, grapes, currents to name a few which is also toxic to dogs..

But it you'll taking about a pure sugar hit, then no it won't harm an animal...

My German Shepherd Ellie's stole 2 large bags of Jelly Babies when she was about 5 1/2 months old and scoffed the lot! No harm done apart from spending 12 hours being incredible sick and serious runs... I did call my vet to double check, which end up with me thinking I was it was a dire emergency as I dashed her into the vets on their request :shock:

Only to be told in about 20 seconds flat, that nothing in jelly babies to harm her, and that's £37 please :shock:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Depends what you mean by animals....

My guess is that all mammals, whether herbivore, carnivore or omnivore, have largely similar digestion systems (give or take an extra stomach and some extra intestinal length). I reckon that they could all tolerate some carbohydrate. You could also obviously give them enough to kill them.

No animal evolved to eat processed sugar - including homo-sapiens. The best you can hope for is that they'll be able to deal with it like the poison that it is.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I always thought it strange that supposedly loving pet owners would feed their beloved animals carbohydrate biscuits and chocolate treats.

Don't they realise that the best thing to feed carnivorous dogs and cats is meat?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Jopar!

jopar said:
Only to be told in about 20 seconds flat, that nothing in jelly babies to harm her, and that's £37 please :shock:

:lol: That's so funny. I had a similar experience with a cat. She kept being sick - threw-up a fur ball and then eat more food, threw-up again and so on for nearly two days. I rang the vet and they said to bring her in immediately. The vet looked her over and said 'No there's nothing wong with her. She's just greedy. Stop her eating for a few hours'. It cost me nearly 50 quid to be told my cat was greedy :lol:

Smidge

Nikkig

Our first German Shepherd bucked all the trends about dogs and different foods. One Christmas a box of After Eights was left on the sofa, only a few had been removed by the family, the next morning the box was empty apart from the the paper sleeves and there was a very contented dog in the lounge. Luckily no ill effects. He would also nick grapes from the fruit bowl, a whole bunch could disappear, still with no side effects!
He lived to 2 weeks before his 15th birthday! :D

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
borofergie said:
I always thought it strange that supposedly loving pet owners would feed their beloved animals carbohydrate biscuits and chocolate treats.

Don't they realise that the best thing to feed carnivorous dogs and cats is meat?

the mind boggles as you can get vegetarian and vegan cat and dog food...

just google "vegetarian pet food" and be amazed at what some people will inflict on their pets because of their beliefs...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
smidge said:
Hey Jopar!

jopar said:

:lol: That's so funny. I had a similar experience with a cat. She kept being sick - threw-up a fur ball and then eat more food, threw-up again and so on for nearly two days. I rang the vet and they said to bring her in immediately. The vet looked her over and said 'No there's nothing wong with her. She's just greedy. Stop her eating for a few hours'. It cost me nearly 50 quid to be told my cat was greedy :lol:

Smidge

Dogs are typically greedy and will eat until they are sick, our old Labrador when living at home was a typical example....there's was no off-button on him :lol:

leather_ferret

Dislikes
Doctors who think they know more than they do and are too arrogant to refer you on when they reach the limits of their ability.
Celebratory status, insane wages high fashion and womens make-up
(I'll get shot syaing things like that! :o))
Hi and thank you all for the replies.

You do seem to confirm my own thoughts that no real harm would be done as nature is pretty canny at coping with most things we can throw at it. In my previous life, my kidneys , indeed the rest of my digestive system responded well to some horrendous carb insults I subjected it to ....mighty different now :eek:(

A few weeks ago, a massive dose of carbs actually saved me. I take my daily dose of 48 units of Lantus at bedtime, along with a unit or two of novorapid to cover my supper and balance me up for the night. I was pretty tired and It was with some horror that I realised I had just shot up 48 units of novorapid by mistake :shock:

Spent all night devouring the contents of the larder and fridge and blood testing every 15 mins or so .... all worked out well in the end and I was back to normal next day - older and definitely wiser, feeling well stuffed, rather tired and pretty stupid !!

Hey ho - the joys of diabetes

Be good and be lucky

Dave

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
smidge said:
Hey Jopar!

jopar said:

Smidge

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OMG we're soooooooooooo gullible and vulnerable where our pets are concerned. £50 to tell you you have a greedy cat would be enough to make me throw up a fur ball or two myself - all over the vet!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
borofergie said:
Depends what you mean by animals....

My guess is that all mammals, whether herbivore, carnivore or omnivore, have largely similar digestion systems (give or take an extra stomach and some extra intestinal length). I reckon that they could all tolerate some carbohydrate. You could also obviously give them enough to kill them.

No animal evolved to eat processed sugar - including homo-sapiens. The best you can hope for is that they'll be able to deal with it like the poison that it is.

I agree with you boro ... NONE of us were born to eat processed sugar and processed carbs ... but I think we can all develop a taste for them and then an addiction to them. And that's really what sugar and carb eating is all about - addicition. We don't actually NEED it because we can get carbs from other sources like fruit and veg. But processed carbs are more readily available, our time is often short and so we grab them for quickness.

Personally I'd like to see all processed carbs removed from supermarket shelves - :twisted:

Southernbelle

My lab ( aka the bin ) devoured a whole tin of quality street one Christmas when someone forgot to put the lid on properly wrappers and all, no side effects except very colourful festive deposits for a few days afterwards !! 5 years later he is still going !