Not diagnosed and very confused

calantha

Hi,

I was hoping someone could answer my questions as I am a bit confused.

I am 22 and had a blood test last week (I have some symptoms and am high risk, but didn't go to the doctor expecting high blood sugar) and it came back high so had to have another one yesterday. Received a call today telling me that it was also high so I need a glucose tolerance test next week.

What will happen during the glucose tolerance test? I was told I had to stay at the doctors for two hours, is this true? How often will they check my blood during that time then?

The only thing I have been told about the results was that my blood sugar was too high. When I asked questions I was told I can discuss them with my doctor after the test next week, which has left me feeling confused about what is going on.

I have been extremely tired for the last 4 months, but have a demanding job so assumed it was just work. I have been constantly thirsty for at least the past year. The main symptom I don't have at all is weight loss. In fact, I went to my doctor because I wasn't losing weight whilst dieting. Could I still be diabetic without the weight loss?

Sorry for asking so many silly questions.
Calantha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes the nurse will do a speculative blood test on someone who just walked into the surgery for something else and if this gives a figure higher than 11 then you will be invited back for a blood test.

The glucose test you have been asked to do involves you drinking a sweet drink and hanging about for a couple of hours and then a blood test is done. Only one blood test will be done at the end of the two hours or so. If this is too high then you may be invited back for more tests. A fasting test may be needed and possibly another one also. If you still show high figures then a diagnosis of whether or not you are diabetic will be made.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that you should expect to be diagnosed as at least pre diabetic and please don't apologise for asking questions.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you were losing weight I would suggest the possibility of late onset Type 1 diabetes. As you aren't losing weight I think you need to go through the GTT and see what the doc thinks the diagnosis might be; further tests might be needed. The treatment is likely to be the right diabetic diet and possibilty of starting tablets if needed. Many of us would recommend controlling your carb intake as the main part of that diet and getting hold of a meter to see what affects you most. Do ask more questions following your next tests

calantha

Hi,

Thanks so much for your helpful replies. Feels a lot better having some straight forward information. This forum seems wonderfully supportive, very glad to have found it.

I guess I just have to wait and see. In some way, a diagnosis of diabetes (or pre diabetes) may be the ticket to be becoming healthier.

Thanks again. :)

edshazell

Consider yourself as lucky, there are millions of people walking around who have type 2 diabetes and are not yet diagnosed. The sooner it gets picked up the better as you will get the best care and treatment to avoid future complications. Read everything you can about it and ask lots of questions that way you will be more in control and understand what's going on. Best of luck and welcome to the club.

Edwin