Urgent Notice: Potential Danger of Dog Hair

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Sorry ladies, but I thought this was much too funny not to post ;)

In a press release today, the National Institute of Health has announced the discovery of a potentially dangerous substance in the hair of dogs. This substance, called "amobacter caninii" has been linked with the following symptoms in females: Reluctance to cook, clean or do housework, a reluctance to wear make-up, good clothes or high heels. Reluctance to spend money on home or car repairs until after 'Baby' has new collars, leashes, beds, treats, food, blankets or toys. "Amobacter caninii" usually results in long hours away from home and exhaustion which may lead to a loss of physical contact with other humans (especially husbands and boyfriends). "Amobacter caninii" is thought to be addictive, driving the need for additional sources - this may lead to a "pack mentality" or like the potato chip commercial, "you can't have just one". Beware! If you come in contact with a female human infected by this substance, be prepared to talk about dogs for hours. Surgeon General's Warning: Dogs are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Two doggie related items for our take-on-allcomers Jack Russell

images
images

The pink cat collar isn't for wearing. Just to make him think there's a cat in the garden - great for quick burst exercise :lol:

Geoff (who's always been more in touch with his feminine side than some men)

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Geoff, when you say ' in touch with your feminine side ' is there something you are not telling us ?

I think we should be told, and what do you use to do it ?

Superchip ( Roy )

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
:D I love dogs. Absolutely love them. And dogs seem to love me too. But because I have severe allergies I can't actually have one. But when I'm walking in the park I will talk to any dog and it's owner if they're lucky enough to get a word in edgways between me and the dog. When I go for a walk, dogs just seem to sense me around and either come running or drag their owners over for a chat. However, I'm not stupid about them, I can't bear anyone dressing the poor things up or treating them like babies. I respect them for being dogs whether they're tiny little toy breeds or huge sloppy things. They're dogs and they'll love you once they know that you know that.

I was on holiday in Turkey alone a few years ago and I went wandering around on foot one afternoon and realised after a few hours that it was getting a bit dark. I had no idea what bus to get back to where I was staying so I turned to walk back and it was getting darker and darker and that's the first time I felt a wee bit lonely on the road there. As soon as I started feeling a bit vulnerable a black dog appeared from God knows where. It was one of many street dogs that roam the streets in Turkey. It just sidled along beside me and nuzzled my hand for a moment and then it accompanied me all the way to my apartment which was a good half hour's walk. Me and the dog 'chatted' all the way home and I thought "Poor thing's probably hungry and thirsty and will be expecting some food when we get there." So when we arrived at the gate I said "You wait here while I get you a bowl of food and a drink, OK?" It just looked at me, nuzzled my hand again turned around and sidled off. It didn't want any food or drink at all. But it knew I needed its company for that short time. That's dogs for ya. They can be with you for a few minutes or for a lifetime, but you never forget them or their friendship. :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I did wash the dogs' winter coats today.
My "boy" has an army style camo coat, his daughter has a similar style in a pink/lilac camo pattern.
They have very little hair and do get cold
Hana
PS I've been running around after sick T1 husband and 2 y-o grandson all day. NOT neglecting my wifely/grandmotherly responsibilities. :D

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Superchip wrote
Geoff, when you say ' in touch with your feminine side ' is there something you are not telling us ?

I think we should be told, and what do you use to do it ?

To be fair, the post was addressed to 'ladies' so I felt a bit of a fraud answering it, hence the qualification.

I would start off by saying that men these days are probably more balanced than back in the 50's when I was born.
I had no brothers, but two and a half sisters.
I used to cry at Lassie films, and can still get 'emotional' at a film or tv program, having to quietly resort to a hankie.
It wouldn't surprise me if my testosterone levels have been lower than normal. Perhaps an early effect of endocrinal imbalance brought on by carbohydrate consumption.
On a thinking/feeling/doing triad (where two are usually dominant) I'm a thinker and feeler.

Is that enough ?

Geoff (like real men these days, in touch with his feelings)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
GraceK said:
I love dogs. Absolutely love them. . :D

Me too, exercise doesn't become optional when you have a dog :D

The benefits from pet sitting
Animals such as dogs, cats ... has long been a close friend of the people. Many parents also believe that raising an animal in the home will help your children learn more about responsibility, empathy, as well as physical development, cognitive belief is true anywhere, and what really is the reason we should have a pet in the house? Let's see.
Here are five reasons that the experts came up to have pets in the house:
1.Pets help families closer
Pets can help families stick and closer to each other - this is sometimes obvious that we often do not think of immediately when someone asked about the greatest pet. However, if you edit your question a bit, said: "Pets are part of the family?" We can get the light looked surprised, even offended, from the little children or parents;, and the answer is usually "Yes sir!". You can also occasionally encountered this relationship in the literature that the children described his family as "The children have grandparents, parents, sister, brother and dog or cat..."
The fact that the pet is usually present in the activities that families do together: lead walking, grooming, bathing them, feeding them or play. Even if not the same as now, these activities may also become subject to all family members share with each other.
2.Pets help children learn
Adults can participate in clubs, reading clubs together, but what about children? Bill Strickland from Parents magazine share the story of her daughter Natalie: She has own her close friend to read with, and that is the cat. She stroked their hair while reading, pausing to let us see the pictures and ask questions, even reassure them when reading scary passages.
In the opinion of Dr. Mary Renck Jalongo, a professor at the University of Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Natalie’s case is absolutely nothing unusual at all. Educators have long known treatments by bringing animals (mostly dogs) to schools to help children with learning problems develop better. Now they realize that all children can benefit from people you do not nag or judge. In one study, children were asked to read in front of a friend at the same age, an adult, and a dog. The researchers monitored their stress levels and found that most children feel most comfortable with animals, not humans. If you're trying to read, and anyone that says, "hurry up and reading it," the feeling was not pleasant at all. On the other hand, curled up comfortably and read with a dog or cat is much more interesting.
3.Pets help you more comfortable
In another study, children were asked to give advice to you less sociable or less well-known than in the classroom; answers get the most beautiful is not a toy or clothing iscool, that is: your pet. Whether it’s large or small, according Dr. Jalongo, a pet gives for a child subject to talk and share with other children.
Animals are also a great source of comfort. The researchers asked a group of five-year-old pet that they usually do when you feel sad, angry, scared or secret. More than 40% are very natural to mention your pet. The kids get the "support" from the four-legged friends who are also parents rated as less anxious and less likely to give up.
For adults too, even just simply watch also offers full benefits. Watching a cat is chasing its tail, or goldfish swimming around more in the tank for example, can help our lives greatly softened. Although this time if asked "What are you doing?" You can answer is "nothing," but in the busy and full of pressure, "nothing" can be a very important to do!
4.Pets help children learn how to care
Experts began to study the impact of livestock to the development of the ability to care about others. We all know, through my experience, that care and know how to care for others is not the quality suddenly appear in adulthood, when we need it; unnatural and also single easy to get this ability because I had received care. This really is something to the "reciprocity", everyone needs to practice how to care for others from an early age.
But in today's life, when the independent, private and treadmill studies - work is becoming faster, stronger, children do not have many opportunities to practice this. So how can the necessary skills seed in our nursery from an early age?
Dr. Melson, professor emeritus of Development Studies at the University of Purdue University, Indiana, believes that this can be done through pet. In their study, tracking her time on the three-year-old intended to actively take care of your pet care over time or even just playing with children. After about 24 hours, the children have pets spend 10.3 minutes to take care of them while the children have children only take 2.4 minutes with their children.
According to Dr. Melson, "Taking care of pets is especially important with the boys because caring for an animal is not considered a 'game girl' like the looks of children, toys or dolls. "Until about 8 years old, girls have been more proficient and responsible and boys looking after children, to manage the home and outside the home, but for pet care, both sexes are still involved same.
5.Pets help you stay healthy
We can conclude "pets in general are factors that reduce the risk of infection in children (such as otitis media)" is the lack of bases and facilities, but there is reason to believe that animals can help protect children from at least a certain disease.
According to a study by Dennis Ownby, pediatrician, chief of Allergy and Immunology at the Medical College of Georgia, there are many pets can actually reduce the risk of developing certain types of allergies in infants. He tracked 474 children from birth to seven years of age and found that children who are exposed to cats and dogs since she was less likely to suffer from common allergies are half the other kids. Other research also suggests that early exposure to pets may reduce the risk of asthma in children.
No one knows for sure why it is so, the but Dr Ownby gives a theory that: "When children play with dogs or cats, these animals often lick young and transferred to the bacteria that live in our mouths. And exposure to the bacteria can change the way a child's immune system response to allergens. "
[links removed]

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
noblehead said:
GraceK said:

that is true... there is statistical evidence that dog owners are, as a group, healthier than cat owners... although there are the usual exceptions...

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Paul_c said:
noblehead said:
GraceK said:

that is true... there is statistical evidence that dog owners are, as a group, healthier than cat owners... although there are the usual exceptions...
I'm a cat lover - & I'm healthy. Cats are excellent for relaxation...

spaglemon

Pilgrim22 said:
Sorry ladies, but I thought this was much too funny not to post ;)

In a press release today, the National Institute of Health has announced the discovery of a potentially dangerous substance in the hair of dogs. This substance, called "amobacter caninii" has been linked with the following symptoms in females: Reluctance to cook, clean or do housework, a reluctance to wear make-up, good clothes or high heels. Reluctance to spend money on home or car repairs until after 'Baby' has new collars, leashes, beds, treats, food, blankets or toys. "Amobacter caninii" usually results in long hours away from home and exhaustion which may lead to a loss of physical contact with other humans (especially husbands and boyfriends). "Amobacter caninii" is thought to be addictive, driving the need for additional sources - this may lead to a "pack mentality" or like the potato chip commercial, "you can't have just one". Beware! If you come in contact with a female human infected by this substance, be prepared to talk about dogs for hours. Surgeon General's Warning: Dogs are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

very good and very true too