CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Hello all

I have just signed up with a gym for the first time EVER, so I can swim, exercise with an exercise bike etc all in one go. I do love steam rooms but am wondering about whether they are a no go for diabetics. I'm suspecting they might be. Does anyone know for sure?

:wave: Bye for now from a very wet and windy Dorset x

Snodger

Heat can make insulin more efficient - that can mean for those of us on injections, we need to watch out for hypos in the sauna (ditto hot baths). I would have thought that there are no problems for diet-controlled diabetics, but I don't know about tablet controlled, so I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer that one.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Heat makes the blood vessels dilate/contract which causes the heart to work harder, also sweating can be a problem for diabetics according to the following web site.

eHow.com said:
For diabetics to get the benefit of saunas, especially saunas with infrared lighting, the level and intensity of the heat must be monitored and kept within moderate limits. With a doctor’s approval and careful moderation, diabetics should be able to enjoy the benefits of a sauna without harm. The key, of course, is in moderation.

Read more: Diabetics & Saunas | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5868441_diabe ... z2Ah1baiqO

Snodger

why is sweating meant to be "bad for diabetics"? That sounds like rubbish to me. No offence to you Sid, I'm not saying you are talking rubbish, I just don't trust that statement on that website. It doesn't give any reason... and I never trust anything that says "this is bad for 'diabetics'" without giving me a full reason, and ideally, some indication of which kind of diabetes they actually mean.

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've used both sauna and steam rooms with no ill effects, just be sensible, check your BG before you go in and have a bottle of lucozade handy just in case. I love steam rooms :)

Grazer

LouiseW said:
From the New England Journal of Medicine, 1999 re hot tubs which are similar but obviously somewhat different:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199909163411216#t=article

This link, and other helpful posts above, suggest steam rooms/saunas would be great for someone like Cathy, the OP. The only cautions in them refer to potential hypos for those on insulin. Cathy is diet only, so can enjoy her sauna the same as anyone else and if anything it would just help to get her BGs down a bit. Have to try it myself!

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Thanks all. I will do some tests and post the results!

Cathy x