Lunch time puzzler

curly trish

I have type1 diabetes and on the basal/bolus regime. If I test my blood in the morning and my blood sugar is 5.2 I then
give myself 3 units of insulin to cover for my porridge . By lunch time it usually registers at 5.2 . However, if It
is 5.2 in the morning and I decide I do not want any breakfast my reading at lunch time can be as high as 8.00.Can any of you
tell me why this should be please?

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
curly trish said:
I have type1 diabetes and on the basal/bolus regime. If I test my blood in the morning and my blood sugar is 5.2 I then
give myself 3 units of insulin to cover for my porridge . By lunch time it usually registers at 5.2 . However, if It
is 5.2 in the morning and I decide I do not want any breakfast my reading at lunch time can be as high as 8.00.Can any of you
tell me why this should be please?

I am not type 1, but I assume this is still the dawn phenomenon and as you have not eaten you body is pushing glocuse around you in order to give you energy.

I am type 2 and if I do not eat at my regular times, my levels are higher than if I do eat. The body is a mysterious place :D

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In theory, if you don't eat then your basal insulin should keep your glucose levels at around the same level (+/-1-2) however theory and practice aren't always the same.
Your liver releases glucose continually but different amounts at different times of day,as was mentioned above in many people the liver releases more just after getting up .Your basal may not be enough at this time.
If you eat and inject , the bolus insulin you use not only acts to 'cover' the meal but also acts to suppress the glucose release from the liver.
Even though I use a pump and can vary the insulin, I find it's better to have breakfast at a regular time.

mattr

Would recommend sharing your BG diary with your diabetes nurse.

Among many things it could be your background insulin running out.

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have exactly the same thing, if I eat breakfast and take insulin my lunch time readings are fine, if I skip breakfast, my BG rises, my DN says its because the body starts trying to compensate because I've not given it any fuel, so now I always have something, it may only be some fruit or a yogurt, but my BG remains stable as long as I eat something. Weird isn't it? I'm glad it's not just me x

curly trish

Like you, I am glad it is not just me!!I have wondered if it was as your DN says that it is the body trying to compensate for lack
of fuel so in future I will always have something to eat first thing in the morning.x