how many times?

Mileana

10 ish on swimming days - that drops me in no time, still trying to suss it out.
8 ish on walking days - sometimes 10 miles can drop me too.
5 ish on my normal 5 miles days.

More when I am unwell, stressed out or trying new sports etc.

Guessing it averages 7.

marie.T1

hi thanks for your replies :D i have uncontrolled diabetes which i am trying to get control off . i put a script in at my gp's surgery yesterday and the receptionist said that i shouldn't be testing 8 times aday. i told her that i have uncontrolled diabetes and i was told to test that many times! she asked who told me to do that i told her my dsn . i was absolutly raging!! she then told me that my dsn was wrong and i should only be testing once a day arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggghhhhh ...... i just left the surgery fummmmming

elainechi

isn.t it wonderful how highly trainned receptionist are these days.we should be very grateful....no need to see a dr anymore....nhs cuts????? x

marie.T1

:lolno: :lolno: :lolno: if i wasn't so dumb struck i would have said that to her . instead i stood there telling her why exactly i needed some test strips duh x

gally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
seems like shes sitting in the wrong chair :lol: bet you felt like dragging her over the desk lol
i test about 8 times too

Spearmint

When on injections we used to test a minimum of 7 times, often more due to problems overnight.
As we are early days on the pump we are testing about 12 times in a 24 hour period but once set right it will be 7-8 times a day.

Snodger

Marie, that's awful! If you've got the energy to do it (and I know sometimes it's just easier not to) then ideally a complaint should be lodged to the trust about that receptionist. Imagine if she was giving that kind of rubbish advice to someone who was less assertive or had less support than you!
makes me sooo angry on your behalf

Klang180

Hello

I ran a poll on this a few months ago and i think the average was about 6-8 a day. I myself am taking nearer 10 at the moment as i am experimenting and doing a lot of sport but Gary Schneier recommends 4-8 in the long term and i think that sounds reasonable.

What does not sound reasonable is a receptionist telling you to test once a day, i think she might be confusing you with a T2 but even so who is she to say that. Does she live with diabetes everyday? Does she have to account for exercise, carbs, GIs, stress and the numerous other things that make managing diabetes a full time job. I would have been absolutely spitting if my receptionist said that! I would make a formal complaint about this, it is just not on. If she is following some directive from higher up then she won;t get in trouble but if it is her own advice then she should be repremanded.

I knwo this all sounds a bit extreme but diabetes is so hard to manage and you don't need anyone of any qualification patronising you with advice like that.

I have had similar if not as strict advice from two seperate nurses, both of which shuddered when i said i tested 8 times a day. They seemed to think 2-3 was max a day but i didn't have the guts to push back at the time. I would now and in fact i went to my GP to discuss it. His response was that there was no rationing at all and that i should test freely. As long as he is writing the scripts i have no issue.

God this makes me fume.

marie.T1

she told me that when i need some more test strips i will have to see the dr for them so i said ok i will see the dr and take up an appointment just to get test strips. that means someone who is not very well that day wont get an appointment. i have heard this receptionist on a few occasions being rude to other patients before .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
marie.T1 said:
hi thanks for your replies :D i have uncontrolled diabetes which i am trying to get control off . i put a script in at my gp's surgery yesterday and the receptionist said that i shouldn't be testing 8 times aday. i told her that i have uncontrolled diabetes and i was told to test that many times! she asked who told me to do that i told her my dsn . i was absolutly raging!! she then told me that my dsn was wrong and i should only be testing once a day arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggghhhhh ...... i just left the surgery fummmmming

Once a day.....good lord :roll:

It's no concern of the receptionist as to how many times you test a day, make that appointment with your gp and if you get any arguments ask your diabetes consultant to intervene, I think it's fair to say that most type 1's test 6 or above times a day and you should be no different!!!

marie.T1

thanks for all your replies and support :D i am going to write a letter to the practice manager about her . i also see my dsn regular i have an appointment next week with her . she is brilliant and no doubt will be furious about this!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I test a minimum of 4 times a day. If the receptionist had said that to me I would of told her I wouldn't be discussing it with her, it's not her business!

Tootse

The diabetic nurse at my surgery told me the same thing as that receptionist. And my doctor took great pleasure in telling me that my hba1c results mean I do not qualify for free test strips.