Insulin/metformin

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Im just wondering how much metformin people are taking alongside their insulin? As I'm just wondering if my amount can be increased and reduce my insulin amount. I'm currently on 1000mg once a day. Obviously I would ask my DSN first.

Claricus

I take 2000mg once a day of slow release metformin with insulin. Pretty sure this is the maximum dose.
I am type 1 (not sure if this makes a difference) but in total it reduces my basal insulin by about 10 units.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Doubling Metformin from 1000mg to the max of 2000mg will not have the same effect as the first 1000 so it won't make that much difference but may help a bit.

Kerry-Michelle

I currently take 1000mg of Metformin SR and I have had my insuman basal lowered from 6 units in the morning and evening to only 8 units of basal in the evening so I only inject my long acting insulin once a day... Also my novo raping has gone down from 8 units to 3 units every meal and that's since I've been on Metformin SR, also ive lost a stone in 2months since being on Metformin too.. so your DSN may lower your insulin but I've learnt that everyone is different and it may work for one and not for the other :)

Best wishes

Kerry xx