leg cramps

susy23

Hi, wondering if anyone has same....im type 2& taken metformin 500mg twice daily for over a year but ive recently started to get painful cramps in my right calf, sometimes coming round to front of shin & feels like a cold pain thats going into the bone..! Ive been drinking tonic water but not helping. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks x

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
report to doctor

it may be something as serious as lactic acidosis or something as easy to fix as taking magnesium supplement

also metformin leaches your B12 so check if B12 could help

Personally I believe magnesium supplement or more magnesium in your diet might help

good luck

johnipswich

Sounds like what I have and diagnosed as Restless Leg Syndrome. A common complication of diabetes. I have yet to be given any treatment for this and not sure way is available. Hope this helps.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I used to get really bad leg cramps at night. Since Ive started following a low carb diet I dont suffer anymore. It may be because I have more Magnesium in my diet from peanuts and brocoli, or it could be because my levels are so much better. I dont take any supplements except the occasional vitamin c.

I hope you do find a way to bring some relief as Im well aware how agonising it can be.

susy23

Hi, thanks for your advice. Bit scary suggesting lactic acidosis but thankfully have no other symptoms of that.! I had B12 levels checked in Nov & they were fine. Also take multiple supplements (but will check if & how much magnesium in multivitamin), follow low carb diet & recent Hba1c was 5.8. Find it eases if i do rigorous exercise! Just very painful at times...

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I used to suffer with this and I follow a Low Carb diet too,in the early phases of Low carb dieting you can lose water and sodium and one of the side affects can be muscle cramps,I increased my sodium(salt intake) in my diet(Didn't go mad with it but didn't fear it either) and it corrected itself thank god as it was agonising when it happened at night in bed.

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It can also be potassium related - I have found eating avocado helps me.

susy23

Hi, thanks to everyone for taking the time to give me great advice & to learn im not alone with this but rather some of you have had it before & more importantly found a cure! I will take all tips on board, am going to increase magnesium rich foods in my diet/ take a supplement ( as my son has a nut allergy so no nut related products allowed in house). I will also increase my water intake as ive not drank as much having been so busy over the festivities. Thanks again x

susy23

Hi, thanks to all who took the time to reply. I will take the tips onboard & am going to increase magnesium rich foods in my diet as well as increase amount of water i drink as let that lapse a bit being so busy over festivities! Its good that you are all willing to share your experiences & im glad to hear most found a simple cure for this as its driving me mad.! Thanks again x

A

Anonymous

i get cramps as well, sometimes I get like a shock in legs, going to see doctor's on friday.

calluna

Try tonic water (the diet type of course), the quinine it contains can help with night cramps. It certainly helped with my cramps

type 2 on insulin

Russ Parton

Hi there!

I'm a T1, basal-bolus kinda guy. I also got leg cramps until I changed my background insulin from insulatard to lantus. Thanks!

Russell

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Omega 3,6 and 9 as found in Flaxseed- nice mixed in with your porridge, and combine that with a Bilberry supplement should help alot.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I take magnesium citrate - apparently it's the form most easily absorbed. The one I use is called Magasorb, but others are available. I take 3 a day - 450mg in total - and it does help. It's also good for keeping blood pressure down.

You can't OD on it - take too much and your body excretes it in a very loose form :shock: the runs!

Quinine sulphate is often prescribed for leg cramps, but our colleague BaliRob took that for a long time and discovered it causes kidney damage. Google it to find out for yourself.

Viv 8)

peter01827

hi i get these cramps as well, i use A Calcium and magnesium with vitamin D3 Tablet/suppliment from holland and Barrett product number HB16154. :D
I FIND THESE HELP Immensley i take one with my meds in the evening :thumbup:
If i suspect i will get bad cramps i use quinine sulphate 200mg from my gp
Hope this helps
:clap:
[email protected]
Peter