Insulin pump queries.

Lauraloo

Hi, I'm 23 and was diagnosed when I was 11. Recently my levels haven't been great, my diabetic nurse has suggested trying the pump. I have got a carb counting course tomorrow to set me up for when/if I do decide to try it out.
I just have a couple questions about it, that I hope I could get honest answers from someone using one themselves. As it is would help me a great deal in deciding whether I would want to try it or not.
I'm sure you have all seen these questions lots of times from others, if so I do apologise.
I'm a slim person and wear clothes which are quite clingy, how would I be able to hide it? I've been told its about the size of an Iphone.(?) I know you can get straps and things but wouldn't it still be on show?
How does Alcohol affect the way it works? Would the sugar in the drinks mean it would need to be increased or the actual alcohol mean you need to reduce it.
Lastly how long would it be able to be disconnected for until it means a shoot up in sugar levels? Such as when swimming or at the beach etc.
I'm sorry about these stupid questions, but I can't decide what to do and I don't know who would be better answering the questions then someone who has the experience from using a pump! Thankyou :)

Cooper15

Hello just changed to the pump and I am 33 , firstly I like it and I find it gives me flexibility so if I went out the night before I could have a lay in without having to do an injection. Alchol as you know you have to be careful I have always been told not to inject for alcohol as it lowers sugars and I still drink and am on the pump. I wear what I want and tuck it in my bra ( I found it the best place) ask if you can borrow one to try out before you commit . The longest I have been told to leave the pump off is an hour . Hope it helps

Lauraloo

Thanks for your reply. :)
Is it easy to get used too?
I think I may need to speak to my nurse a bit more about it, as so far I haven't been given much info about it.
I think I would like to try it or I would always be thinking what if.

Cooper15

I got used too the wearing of the pump very quickly, but everyone is different ! I found it hard to get the control of my blood sugar . Defiantly do lots of research and do the carb counting course first before even thinking about the pump and adjust to that first good luck and ask me any questions you like

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
A good book to read is called pumping insulin, you can get it from amazon. Also Accu Check, do a short course on how you use one of their pumps. Their is a link to it in one of the posts in this section, but I don't know which question. But I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.

kt78

Hi, I've been using the omnipod pump now for about 6 months and I love it! Of course, everyone's different but it has given me so much more flexibility in my life. My pump is tubeless so more discreet in one respect but you can still see it. It is also waterproof! You should deffo give one a whirl - in fact you are really lucky to be offered one! :thumbup:

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
Hi I've been on the accuchek combo pump now for 5 weeks and love it, love it, love it. The flexibility it allows is so refreshing. I have been type 1 diabetic for nearly 50 years and oh how I wish I had been introduced to the pump far earlier. I am driving a lot and so it's not always convenient to stop, test and give injections and this has allowed me to test whenever and be tied down to set meal times.

jopar

Google the PDSA and look for Ellie and Jones in the Gold Medals under Animal Bravery... And see if you can spot my pump

I'll give you a hint, it was clipped to my skirt waist band left side....

As you can see I'm rather slim, and not chance of hiding it in my bra, tried it once and it took hubby 6 months to stop taking the Micky...

My pump probably spends a lot of time on open view, as I generally got it clipped to my waist band (don't own a dress apart from my wedding dress that is) and I've been pumping almost 5 years, and I've only had one person mention it to me, and that only because he knew what a insulin pump was...

As to alcohol and pumps, I don't drink so can't help you there apart from the general 'what the liver gets up to or should I say doesn't'

Swimming, I think one or two of the pumps are waterproof and suitable for swimming, but most people just detach them and put them back on afterwards.... Some find that they have to bolus the background they are going to miss, others find that they only need to correct when they put them back on, but if you have your pump off for more than two hours, you have to inject missing basal...

Best advise I can give, is if they are offering, take it if you don't like the pump you can always hand it back, but very few actually do.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm a rare breed... I wear mine trapped between 2 layers of tubigrip on my top arm(s)
My pump always faces down, the tube goes down.. Then comes back up and then goes under all my layers of clothes..
I am another bra-less person.. Rarely wear skirts, but finf wearing on my arm... I never have to worry about it at all.. Even going to bed.. It just rests on the side ofmy arm.. Till I change the set..

Must admit.. I hated it on my waistband.. Too worried about it dropping down on floor or loo!! Found it an annoyance when dressing / undressing too.

However, I am a person that likes minimal hassle, minimal effort, and the pump on my arm is great. Only time it shows is wearing vest tshirts... Apart from that most of my tshirts have some sort of sleeve.. Not because of pump tho..i do have the ling tube though..

I prefer much more than mdi as I know it permanently with me and no worries of forgetting needles, pens, strips etc... Just always there and can forget about wearing it.

TT17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Switch2501 said:
I'm a guy and happy wear my pump on my belt in the leather clip pouch thing.
It's a great conversation starter and I'm very proud of it... In a wired way...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

same here