Storing insulin in fridge (freezing weather)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

Where would you store your insulin stock ?
IF - the fridge got 'too cold' and was at risk of freezing ?

Was asked this question , as they have their fridge in the freezing garage ...
Think they have an upright fridge-freezer .
(given also the recent snow/freezing weather)

This question flummoxed me TBH...

Anna.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the majority of insulins can be out of the fridge for around 4weeks and still be ok, so I guess they could bring it into the house until the weather gets a bit warmer... or are we talking about them living in the arctic or something equivalent?

johnipswich

A combination fridge freezer will overwork if placed in a garage or other unheated room. It's because they only have one pump and thermostat controlling the freezer and this over works and causes the fridge to freeze as mine used to. There is no way round it just don't use to store insulin as it will freeze.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

If the garage is freezing that is not such a good idea, just like leaving insulin in extreme heat in the summer is not good. In the house should be ok- Is there a fridge there? I live in Louisiana and some people during hurricanes will use small ice coolers that have cooling mechanism that can be plugged into a wall. I know some of them have done this for months at a time

If insulin becomes frozen do not use it, even after thawing. The freezing temperatures will break down/ damage the insulin and then it will not work well to lower your blood sugar. Throw frozen insulin out.

It is also important to note that vials and pens have different storage needs

Cold insulin can sting a little, so it is best to warm it up. Make sure your friend knows they can warm it up by holding it in their hands or letting it sit out at room temperature for awhile. Make sure they never warm it up in the microwave!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
johnipswich said:
A combination fridge freezer will overwork if placed in a garage or other unheated room. It's because they only have one pump and thermostat controlling the freezer and this over works and causes the fridge to freeze as mine used to. There is no way round it just don't use to store insulin as it will freeze.

Aaaah think this 'is' exactly what has happened to theirs in the garage...
She did say her supposedly frost free freezer had frozen shut!
Couldnt open or shut it without really tugging/yanking it open and kicking it shut :shock:
The fridge is at the top and the freezer at the bottom .
Think it is time for a new one possibly ?

Anna.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
johnipswich said:
It will not affect if it is a new fridge or old it is just a design flaw of combined fridge freezer. The only way round this is to have separate fridge and freezer.

Design flaw :eek:
Will see her tonight at our exercise class ...
Be passing on your facts and suggest maybe to go seperatley fridge and freezer
as a better option to avoid this happening .
Thanks for your help on this John :thumbup:

Anna.