Lots of hypos, am I normal??

Mrs Mac

Wow, thanks again everyone! You're very patient with me, I know it's taking me a while to get my head around this carb counting lark! I haven't ignored your advice, I promise, I just keep forgetting!!

Saw my consultant today who agreed that it was probably the right thing to do to skip novo rapid at lunchtime when m BG was low. In fact, he's now taken the lunchtime dose away all together and asked me to take my Lantus at lunch instead of in the evening. I need to take a small dose of novo rapid, two units or so, if I'm eating particularly high carb meal.

I saw the dietician, who didn't say a lot to be honest, other than yes, I eat reasonably well. Going on a carb counting workshop soon so I'll stop asking daft questions on here hopefully!!

Thanks for the comments about exercise too, I feel much more confident now.

rinfrance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What, are your doctors living in cuckoo land! God I control my meds and was shown how to do it 12 years ago!!!
As thus keep a book, now take morning level, at dinner time if you have had a hypo in the AM reduce the next day by 2 points, if you BS is above 7 increase the shot by 2 IF you have had 2 consecutive mornings with a high BS just before dinner. Now with your dinner readings note the jab amount, if you have a hypo in the afternoon then reduce the jab before dinner the next day, if your reading before evening meal for 2 consecutive days is above 7 then increase the third day evening jab by 2 points, if you have a hypo in the evening then reduce the jab the next evening by 2 points however do not read too much into the before breakfast jab as liver dumps cause silly problems. However what I was told to do was check the BS just before going to bed. If below 7 then your shots are OK if on 2 consecutive nights they are above 7 then increase the before evening meal shots by 2 points.
Does that make sense.
You have to realise doctors of GP variety do NOT understand Diabetes and in fact many diabetic doctors do not either!
In answer its not you thats wrong, its the doctor!!!!

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
rinfrance said:
What, are your doctors living in cuckoo land! God I control my meds and was shown how to do it 12 years ago!!!
As thus keep a book, now take morning level, at dinner time if you have had a hypo in the AM reduce the next day by 2 points, if you BS is above 7 increase the shot by 2 IF you have had 2 consecutive mornings with a high BS just before dinner. Now with your dinner readings note the jab amount, if you have a hypo in the afternoon then reduce the jab before dinner the next day, if your reading before evening meal for 2 consecutive days is above 7 then increase the third day evening jab by 2 points, if you have a hypo in the evening then reduce the jab the next evening by 2 points however do not read too much into the before breakfast jab as liver dumps cause silly problems. However what I was told to do was check the BS just before going to bed. If below 7 then your shots are OK if on 2 consecutive nights they are above 7 then increase the before evening meal shots by 2 points.
Does that make sense.
You have to realise doctors of GP variety do NOT understand Diabetes and in fact many diabetic doctors do not either!
In answer its not you thats wrong, its the doctor!!!!

Your recommendations are rather difficult to follow, and appear to assume that each meal has the same carbs as the previous day(s), when in fact all T1s should be working out bolus dose based on the Insuli:Carb RATIO. There are two extremely useful documents that are all you need to understand how to get good control ...

Carbs count e-book – An introduction to carbohydrate counting and insulin dose adjustment

https://shop.diabetes.org.uk/store/lite ... -book.aspx
- this is the basis of the DAfNE course ... it will change your life with all the knowledge you will gain from following the procedures outlined in this document. You MUST work out the Insulin:Carb ratio for each meal and use that for bolus dose calculation. Remember that Correction Doses are NOT part of the carb bolus dose and must be added on.

Adjusting your Insulin when results are too high or too low:
http://www.diabetes-scotland.org/ggc/do ... Change.pdf
An excellent detailed document, with plenty of examples, to assist you in making required insulin adjustments. Download it and print it out so it is readily at hand after blood sugars have been made & recorded.

And remember to always record everything to see the trends ...

Jonty

violet6763

Hello Sabrina, yes I had stomach pains. I still do at times. I actually dismissed them as period/ ovulating pains until I was in A&E and they asked if I had been having them x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App