Diabetic with Stomach Gas problems !!

shellsummer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone , I am a type one Diabetic diagnosed 10 years ago. For the past 3 nearly 4 years i have dealt with a funny unpleasant problem of severe stomach gas & pain under left rib cage. Sometimes especalially in the evenings i am belching chronically like a frog and just feel so uncomfortable :( My Gp says its stomach acid !!! I feel so feb up dealing with my diabetes in one thing and then this on top makes me feel very low. knowing what ever i eat will make me feel this gas pain think. Gp no help really when i ask about food intolerance testing its not on the NHS and i just do not know were to go with this now.

Wondering if anyone here might be like myself or have any ideas how i can feel better. Thankyou so much for any advice :) Best wishes shellsummer x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
shellsummer said:
Hi everyone , I am a type one Diabetic diagnosed 10 years ago. For the past 3 nearly 4 years i have dealt with a funny unpleasant problem of severe stomach gas & pain under left rib cage. Sometimes especalially in the evenings i am belching chronically like a frog and just feel so uncomfortable :( My Gp says its stomach acid !!! I feel so feb up dealing with my diabetes in one thing and then this on top makes me feel very low. knowing what ever i eat will make me feel this gas pain think. Gp no help really when i ask about food intolerance testing its not on the NHS and i just do not know were to go with this now.

Wondering if anyone here might be like myself or have any ideas how i can feel better. Thankyou so much for any advice :) Best wishes shellsummer x

hello to you and sorry to hear of your tummy problems, could it be heartburn or indigetion as you can get over the counter medication. 3 months ago I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease it took a while to get it diagnosed having being extremly ill for months with nausea, upper abdominal cramps,( severe at times) vomited, excess wind, losing weight etc, after 2 endoscopies I was told the news. I thought it was an ulcer or something similar. My symptoms were rare for Coeliac but a lot of people can have Coeliac with no or very slight symptoms. If it still continues, keep going back to your doctor or see another doctor in your surgery.

All the best RRB

Good luck and I hope you can find some relief soon.

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
The other thing to consider is Gastroparesis
Try a google search and see if it matchesd up with your symptoms?

richardinglis

One more thing to consider is lactose intolerance. I never had lactose intolerance before I was diagnosed in 99, after if I drank even 1/4 pint of milk or a yoghurt I bloat badly and I'm farting for England. Lactose is in so many foods you wouldn't believe! Try cutting normal milk out and use lacto free milk for a week, no Yoghurts or cream, or any type of cheese and see if that helps. Lactose intolerance is one thing that's more common than people realise.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
3 nearly 4 years is a long time to be having this problem without any resolve, ask (or better still tell them) your gp to refer you to be seen by a gastroenterologist at your local hospital, there you will get the relevant tests to determine the cause.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Hi Shell

I began having acid reflux, gastric pain, bloating, gas, about 4 years ago. It got so bad that I could barely eat a few spoonfuls of food before I felt full to bursting. I had an endoscopy, they discovered a hiatus hernia, gastritis, Shiatzki ring which is a kind of narrowing in the duodenum and I was started on Omeprazole 40mg a day. If I missed a dose all the symptoms would flare up. I took that for about 3 years approx. Then I was diagnosed with diabetes, changed my diet to LCHF which meant I cut out bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, pastry, cakes and I also now don't drink milk, only cream. And lo and behold the stomach issues improved greatly and within just a few weeks. I was able to cut the Omeprazole to 20mg, now and then I forget the odd dose and I get a bit of pain but no bloating, no gas - I was absolutely flabbergasted at the difference.

I don't know if I'm lactose intolerant (but I eat cheese and have no probs) or Coeliac but it was certainly something I was eating that caused the problems. So if you're not already doing so try drastically reducing your carbs and see if it makes a difference. :)

sassywriter43

Hi Shellsummer

Try going lactofree for a month, switch from regular milk to lacto free milk and cheese just for a month, and see if symptoms subside. I didn't do this I just went dairy free completely as I tried going from cows to goats and had the most horrendous allergic reaction, and was nearly hospitalized. After the month if you wish try cows milk again and see what happens. I just don't have dairy any more, and to be honest I don't miss it.

shellsummer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Diabetic with stomach gas problem

Hello Just wanted to say a big thankyou to the people who replied to my post yesterday. Food for thought on this issue for myself.HEHE Thankyou again. shellsummer :p

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Re: Diabetic with stomach gas problem

shellsummer said:
Hello Just wanted to say a big thankyou to the people who replied to my post yesterday. Food for thought on this issue for myself.HEHE Thankyou again. shellsummer :p

Hi shellsummer.

Hope you dont mind but I have merged this lone post onto your original thread :)
If you are unsure of posts - just give a mod a shout/PM - we will all assist to help you. :thumbup:

Anna.