Can you recommend a good book?

MrsG1

Hi,
My husband was diagnosed this week (not sure if type 1 or 2 until the appointment on the 17th of Jan) but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good cookbook or website for easy to make recipes? My husband is a bit stubborn and stuck in his ways and I think I have my work cut out to convince him to eat some things, and cut out other things. I am trying to find a range of easy but delicious meals (as I'm sure are we all!!) that hopefully will help him see it doesn't have to be horrible and bland stuff forever!!

Thanks!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no need to eat bland meals. I have never eaten better. This book, Quick Cooking for Diabetes, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quick-Cooking-D ... 0600619125 has some very tasty recipes. This site too has some very good ones.

The book I mention above may still be at Aldi who had it and several other books on offer at £1.99.

mamajoell

I bought Diabetes for Dummies, by Dr Sarah Jarvis GP and Alan L Rubin MD, when I was diagnosed about 10 years ago. I found it a great help and still refer to it today. It deals with type 1 and 2 so covers most eventualities. I'm sure it will have been updated. Good luck

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi, I know you asked for a cook book, but I have just looked at the one recommend by someone above and I certainly wouldn't use it.

Something that might be more effective reading for your Husband would be a blood glucose monitor. I found an SD codefree the cheapest on line. If he tests 2 hours after eating he will see how that meal has affected his Glucose levels. I remember when I first got one the shock at how high I was after something I didn't think was too bad. Its made me change my life and Im very grateful to all the recipes and advice on this forum. Without it I would be blindly following nhs advice and I would more than likely be on insulin by now.

Try to get your nurse or doctor to give you a meter but I know many don't give them to type 2's.

Good luck.

MrsG1

Lenny3 said:
Hi, I know you asked for a cook book, but I have just looked at the one recommend by someone above and I certainly wouldn't use it.

Something that might be more effective reading for your Husband would be a blood glucose monitor. I found an SD codefree the cheapest on line. If he tests 2 hours after eating he will see how that meal has affected his Glucose levels. I remember when I first got one the shock at how high I was after something I didn't think was too bad. Its made me change my life and Im very grateful to all the recipes and advice on this forum. Without it I would be blindly following nhs advice and I would more than likely be on insulin by now.

Try to get your nurse or doctor to give you a meter but I know many don't give them to type 2's.

Good luck.

Thanks. If needs be we will buy a monitor. I think it will take time to break habits of a lifetime and find alternatives to the **** we currently eat.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I would recommend any cookbook which advises carb control. A lot of so-called diabetes cookbookss follow the "eat a balance diet with low fat" Way of eating. This doesn't actually help contol blood sugars.
It might please you husband to know that a very early nutrition study [1926] showed that if you eat nothing but fatty meat, you'll stay healthy.the meat does have to be full fat though.
It's surprising, but although we all think veggies are good for us, they are not essential. The natural diet of Inuit and Masai peoples, and probably many other hunter/Gatherer peples contains virtually no plant material of any kind and whilst the traditional ways are followed, these people remain healthy.
One thing I would warn against is using ever increasing medication to control blood sugars. It's
what the medical professions call "Inevitable Progression". It isn't inevitable and can be dealth with by carb control.
Hana

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
Hi, I might be a wee bit late replying mrsGi. but only just seen post.
I just got The diabetes weight loss diet by Anthony Worrall Thompson. There are some great recepies in it.
Got it on Ebay for just £5 including postage.

Your hubby may not need to lose weight but it might help anyway.
Vonbon1

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
MrsG1 said:
Hi,
My husband was diagnosed this week (not sure if type 1 or 2 until the appointment on the 17th of Jan) but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good cookbook or website for easy to make recipes? My husband is a bit stubborn and stuck in his ways and I think I have my work cut out to convince him to eat some things, and cut out other things. I am trying to find a range of easy but delicious meals (as I'm sure are we all!!) that hopefully will help him see it doesn't have to be horrible and bland stuff forever!!

Thanks!

I have this trick - instead of a book...
Buy a bright cheery coloured sturdy folder.

Every magazine you see or read rummage through all the recipes.
Cut out all the suitable recipes you can make and adapt or tweak things with .

Show hubby the pictures and then he can choose too with you :p
They look delicious and am sure he will be more encouraged to see the finished results in the pictures too .

You can tweak things as per his needs , leave out the things he isnt keen on or the heavy duty carbs .

It will help you - give you ideas for meals - inspiration etc...
Plus hubby can get involved too choosing and be stimulated visually seeing the gorgeous meals in the pictures!

I did this when was first diagnosed as was struggling with ideas and the concepts of just written recipes.
As I am ' NO ' chef or good cook :thumbdown:

Hope this little idea can help you :)

Anna.

Joss52

When I was diagnosed about 7 years ago, my head was just spinning with questions. I knew very little about diabetes (I am Type 2 but didn't know the difference between Type 1 and 2) so the first book I got was a really good practical book explaining in easy-to-understand language (and diagrams) about what diabetes is and how to manage it and deal with many issues that may/will arise. The book is 'Diabetes. A practical guide to managing your health'. It is published by DK in association with Diabetes UK and is written by Rosemary Walker and Jill Rodgers. I still 'dip' into it for information, and I found it so very useful in those first dark days when there seemed no-one around to help and support me.

The second book I got was 'The everyday diabetic cookbook' by Stella Bowling, also published by Diabetes UK. It has some clear guidance and advice for those who may not cook much and simple information about eating for diabetics. The recipes are varied, but simple and clear and not complicated at all. Similarly, in the 'Recipes for Health' range I got 'Diabetes' by Azmina Govindji and Jill Myers. I later added Anthony Warrell-Thompson's book on dieting for diabetics.

However, as you start to understand more about diet, healthy eating and diabetes, I have found I need to follow specific recipes less, and I am just more aware of eating healthily (most of the time,anyway) and enjoy experimenting with recipes and food. That way it's more fun and not so prescriptive having to follow recipes. If you do want to follow recipes then as you grow more aware of what is good for you, then you can adapt them from non-diabetic-special books.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

candiloo

Buy the carbs and cals book from Amazon and get the dafne course done for carb counting and he will know just how much to inject and he could eat what he likes. If he puts weight on, cut back on the carbs. The books is amazing and the course is life changing. Fake sugars are not a good substitute as they have nasty side effects in the tummy department and willfurther mess up the endocrine system, so as low sugar as possible, but if you must, have proper sugar and with the course, you will know just how much insulin to have. If he is on tablets, the book will help anyway with keeping the sugars down. He needs to come to terms with it or he will have some nasty little things crop up and they can all be avoided and life can be normal.