Greetings from South Africa

maxies-mom

Hello wave coming out of SA from Max (8) and his mum Philippa, brother Joe (11) and step-dad Miles
Max was diagnosed with T1b 3 weeks ago and life has been rather interesting to say the least.
Max is doing GREAT and we are managing to keep levels between 4 and 8 which is miraculous. On HL and NR and our Endo is brilliant. Max looks less like a pin cushion and is back to his raucous self even going surfing on Wednesday for an hour and a half (with mum close by more petrified of sharks than anything else)
Acceptance is key. Having initially almost collapsed with grief for my son, we realised that we didn't cause it, we cant cure it, there are no straight answers and the only thing left is to stop fearing it, be respectful of it and get on with the job of managing it so that life can be as full and as normal as possible.
So we did.
We cried a river for sure, hiding our fear and grief behind smiles and confident reassurances, and I am sure as the realities and long term facts sink in and become apparent there will be a lot more, but there is a lot more laughter than we expected too, with lots more laughter than tears.
Max's courage and sunny acceptance leave me breathless and humbled.
We are so grateful to this forum - without knowing it you were with me through a week of Intensive Care and have shored me up, reassured me and given such hope - thank you!
In turn I could reassure my sons and all our family.
So hello.
Much love
Miles Philly Joe and Max

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Phillipa,
Im so impressed with you and your little boy. Im sure you will all cope well with diabetes and what it brings to your life. Its great for your son to have such a brave mum who has right attidute to his illness. If you can cope with Max's diabetes he will cope too.
All the best to you all :)

carb-counting-mum

Hi Phillipa, Miles, Joe and of course Max!

Glad you have found the forum, it's a great source of information and a place to be with friends. Your post sounds so positive, it's nice to read. Your boy sounds amazing, I'm in awe of all our kids who just seem to just be so accepting of all the changes/finger pricks etc. Sounds like you are well on track to achieving good BG control. You're doing a great job.
x