insulin passports

mercian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is it just me, or do other people have the opinion that these passports are simply a way of not-so-professional professionals covering their backs? What exactly are they supposed to do that a doctor writing a prescription cannot do? Are we not supposed to rely on our doctors to get this right? All the passports do is write down what is already on my prescription so that an overworked secretary now has an extra job of checking one against the other. The secretary is checking that the doctor has got it right!!! Outrageous!! It is now clear that my surgery will not pass over to me a prescription unless I present my passport. Surely they should be concentrating on getting it right in the first place? They should not be relying on a bit of paper; after all, who checks the passport?? I check that my prescription is ok by reading it and knowing what it means. Sadly this skill seems to be going by the wayside. Now I have been given the job of carrying around a piece of paper because no one is to be trusted to do their job properly. Witless morons.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi mercian

I had a few questions on my list when I went to see my GP yesterday and one of them was getting an Insulin Passport. GP said I need to see Diabetic nurse ( whom I like :)) and ask her about getting one. No one has ever said anything to me about a passport regarding insulin, maybe i've had it too long now and they forgot :roll: I don't know if I will bother now.

Best wishes RRB

mercian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Robin,

You are lucky not to have to bother with it. It is a pointless waste of time and money. The fact that your surgery does not take them seriously only goes to show that they are irrelevant. I'd like to know who is responsible for thinking up this charade and how we can get them sacked.

Regards, Mercian

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I've only ever heard of these on here. It's never been mentioned to me at my diabetic clinic. Are they something you have to carry around?

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been given one and to be honest I think they are pretty useless, I already carry a card with my condition on it, I also have my NHS exemption card with my personal details on, the info that comes with the passport gives examples of patients being given the wrong type of insulin from the pharmacy and district nurses and careers not noticing also incorrect doses given when hospitalised, however it's just a folded pice of A4 with a little cover on, I know after a couple of weeks kicking around in the suitcase I like to call a handbag it will resemble a used tissue!

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never been told about an insulin passport, never been mentioned at any of my appointments with the consultant, nurse or GP... to be honest, I don't even know what an insulin passport is... and I get my insulin just fine.

Phoebe13

I was told by my Practice Nurse when I got mine that it's in case I am ever hospitalised or in an accident, so the health care providers have access to my insulin details in case I'm incapable of telling them.

So it's got my insulin/diabetes details on, my GP and my next of kin on, as well as my usual hypo treatment. I keep it in my purse, where my ID would probably be kept so it would be found fairly quickly.

I find it reassuring as I have nothing "official" stating I am a diabetic, and people may not recognise or see my BG monitor or insulin pouch. But if I was in an accident they'd probably look for ID pretty quickly so it'd be seen.

I get my local pharmacy to collect my repeat prescriptions from my GP and then collect my insulin etc when it's ready, and I've never been asked to show my Insulin passport when requesting or collecting a repeat prescription.