Advice for consultant apt today.

oskanoears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
high blood glucose!
Hi folks, I'm after a little advice; I'm eight months on from diagnosis having started with a hba1c of 19. I was originally put on 80mg gliclazide per day to rectify this, however I returned to my gp after one week as levels were not dropping and the gliclazide made me feel awful.
My gp added metformin 3 times per day and my numbers started to tumble, although I looked grey and felt bad on the gliclazide still. Fast forward 2 months; hypos are a regular occurrence the lowest being 2.4, 45 mins prior to this figure I was 10.5. I reduced my gliclazide by half and the same thing was happening.. Half again, same thing. My gp gave me 40 mg tablets and I used quarters, still hypos .. I'm now off it all together and just on metformin but my morning readings have crept up each week from high fives to high 8s and postprandial readings of 13 if the meal I've had is a Saturday night pig out (all the right stuff though):
They have not classified my diabetes as I don't tick enough of any box for 2,1 lada etc.. Gliclazide really doesn't suit and amongst its side affects I feel like I'm on speed and could Stab a fairy, it makes me that moody and nasty. I need to be in control of the apt today and wanted some advice on what drugs or tests to ask for. Is anyone on glimpiride? Can I take insulin but only when I need to or is it a case of once your on it that's it? Thanks in advance folks my apt is at 2:30 at Walsall manor hospital. Cheers andy

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you just have to wait to see what the consultant has to say. If you explain all that to him, he is likely to have seen it all before, whereas your GP probably hasn't. You're actually quite fortunate to see a consultant. If you prepare some good questions, you'll get a lot out of the consultation. If you scan this forum, most posters are complaining that they have been left in the lurch after diagnosis and don't know who to turn to.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on Glimepiride but I am not sure why you ask unless you want to know how it treats me. I am pretty sure it is helping but not dramatically but then I never had the sort of problems you are having to begin with.

I am the sort of person who will get a side effect if there is one being given away but on Glimepiride I only noticed the one and it is tolerable. As soon as I started taking them I developed red patches on my face after shaving. They last a couple of hours but do not itch and are not painful so I decided I would put up with it.

My nurse has made me the offer of trying life without them since I have been a good boy and got my Hba1c down but have deferred the experiment for domestic reasons

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Hello Andy,

I thought I might be able to help by sharing my experience of diagnosis just over a year ago. I hope my story helps you but please work with your diabetes team to help get you better, this is just my experience and may not suit everyone - we are all different!

It has always been hazy as to what type I am and the doctors just kept saying we want to treat the diabetes regardless what type you are. To cut a long story short, they were so worried about my state of health that I had to start insulin levemir once a day, which brought my levels down nicely. Meanwhile, I changed my diet a lot so I lost weight very quickly. I hated being on the injections, absolutely hated it and fought tooth and nail to be allowed off them. After about 3 months, my HBA1C was reduced enough for the consultant to tentatively say I could stop the injection and take gliclazide once a day. He wasn't happy about it, but at last, I had got my own way!

Now, this sounds a bit hypocritical, but, after doing my research, and because I had a lot of stress in my life at the time, I decided to go back on the injections and off the gliclazide - but, with a goal to eventually come off them. I found out that the gliclazide can actually overstimulate your pancreas so that it wears it out quicker and speeds up the betacell deterioration. I also found out from a lot of sources that taking insulin early on can actually help give your pancreas a rest and jump start it into functioning a bit more. So, I took my injection but gradually over the months, I weaned myself off a little each month, tomorrow, I am down to 1 unit a day, with the plan to be diabetes meds free end of Feb. I did this with the approval of my nurse who was pleased with my progress and my nunmbers are stable.

Although I hated being told I needed injections and doubt if I even needed them, they helped support my pancreas when I needed it the most and wothout it, I may not have made the progress I have now.

I really hope this helps your concerns about the injections and please, try not to worry.

Good luck with your journey, it would good to see how you get on.

Tweetypie

oskanoears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
high blood glucose!
Hi folks, I saw a very knowledgable consultant yesterday by the name of Dr ******, I was seen on time too. After some discussion and review of bloods he has decided to add a gliptin to my metformin 1500mg. I know little of these drugs other than they are expensive and thus not the first choice, although he has left which gliptin upto the gp to decide; my gp is actually very well read is young and has a keen interest in diabetes, so remain hopeful a good choice will be made. How I get on with said drugs remains to be seen and i'll feed back on this in the forum for those interested.
A final word in relation to consultation or a consultant led approach to diabetes.
I understand that I am lucky to see a consultant and I already have a follow up apt in 3 months with the gentleman I saw yesterday. Prior to him booking a return appointment, I asked "are you available to see privately" . The answer was yes.
Having a disease that can hugely effect your life either directly or in many cases with the side effect of drugs, had I not seen a consultant on the nhs I would have without question paid to see one privately.
Cheers

Andy

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lesler. I think your doc may be deluding himself. Diabetes doesn't 'settle' in that way and the drugs you are on should have had an effect within a few weeks. How old are you? If young and not overweight then it's always possible you are a late onset T1 in which case the drugs won't help much. I assume you are on a low-carb diet as well as the drugs?

Hi oskanoears. The Gliptins includes Sitagliptin (Januvia) which is generally a good drug with few side effects. It works by suppressing an enzyme that in turns suppresses insulin production a certain time after eating. This results in a longer insulin period. It helps reduce sugar spikes. It can't cause hypos as it's effect reduces as your sugars reach normal