Retinopathy..pregnancy..aspirin & bleed in the eye??

kellyrae

Hi there I havn't been on here for quite a while but I am 24 weeks pregnant at the moment, everything is fine, hba1c of 5.4....blood sugars are nice a stable.

My question or query is, at 12 weeks pregnant I was advised to take a low dose of aspirin by my obstetrician, her reasons were to prevent things such as pre-eclampsia, hypertension and blood clots etc.....

This is my second child and with my previous pregnancy it went as smoothly as any other normal person, none of the complications a so called diabetic can occur during pregnancy, so at the beginning I was a little reluctant to taking it as there was no real indication that I should take it from previous problems (blood pressure is and always has been fine)

My main concern was the retinopathy that I have been getting treated for the past year or so, I didn't want the aspirin to cause an unnecessary bleeds whilst pregnant....anyway I spoke with my eye doctor and he was reluctant too but said I should do as the obstetrician advised for my babys health and he would do his best to help if any problems did occur.

I had some laser a couple of weeks ago which has had no effect and today was told I have had a bleed which he cannot do anything about as it may cause more problems, I just feel that if I had not taken the aspirin for several weeks this would not have happened, I have stopped the aspirin now and hoping it will stop :(

Has anyone got any advice on aspirin causing bleeds in eyes???

I completely understand that aspirin is for good use in some pregnancies but I feel for mine it was the complete wrong advice to give or prescribe.

Thanks in advance :)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I fail to see how a daily low dose (150mg?) of aspirin can cause or exacerbate an internal eye bleed. Aspirin, amongst other actions, is great at reducing those sticky platelets often responsible blood clot problems and strokes. As far as I am aware, it has no action on the eye other than providing a very slight reduction in cataract formation.
Diabetic retinopathy is caused by the higher blood glucose often found with poorly controlled diabetes compared with those of us without diabetes.

going mad

Re: Retinopathy..pregnancy..aspirin & bleed in the eye??

I was being treated for retinopathy when I was pregnant and was advised by my eye dr that unless I had problems with my bp then to avoid medication that might thin the blood ie aspirin. It seems to be like everything else, you can be told something different by drs in the same profession in different areas. Good luck with the pregnancy and hope all is good with your eyes xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kellyrae

going mad said:
I was being treated for retinopathy when I was pregnant and was advised by my eye dr that unless I had problems with my bp then to avoid medication that might thin the blood ie aspirin. It seems to be like everything else, you can be told something different by drs in the same profession in different areas. Good luck with the pregnancy and hope all is good with your eyes xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thank you :) Had my baby 28th May with no sugar problems, continued eye laser up until 36 weeks, My last eye check was great with no changes and back to every 6 monthly check :) xx

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Hi Kelly

This happened to me! I was put on aspirin at 20 weeks despite having retinopathy, I asked if they were sure I was ok to go on it and they said yes. Then at 36w I had a bad bleed, and the doctor stopped the aspirin. I was then advised to have c section to reduce the chance of further bleeds.

glad your last eye check was ok.

I had laser last week after delivering at 38w and hope it will stop the new blood vessels but I'm afraid I've become very pessimistic with retinopathy after being treated for it 3 years now, 10 lasers and one vitrectomy and each time told it is getting better and no further treatment is anticipated, then it gets worse.

Hope you have better luck than I did. Congrats on your baby.