Different reading with the same food

jojo7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can explain to me as I'm still trying to get to grips with what foods to eat and testing.I have been eating a measured amount of oats, semi milk and tsp of cinnamon for breakfast and it hasn't move my readings much ( up 0.7 mmols) but today the same food at the same time pushed levels up by just over 3mmols. Is this normal for a level to be so different?
I'm T2 on 2x850 metformin.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it is.

There is a LOT more going on inside your body that contributes to your BG level than the amount of carbs you put in, but reducing HOW MUCH of a food that effects your BG is one way to attempt to control your overall BG.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I agree its not just the food we eat that can affect our bg levels things like a bug or an infection, stress, day to day differences in our hormones or just a dodgy blood sample.

I would be perfectly happy with a rise of .7 mmol/L at the 2 hour postprandial mark and the odd blip I wouldnt worry too much about. If you worry about it the stress may push your levels up higher so just write it off as a one off until it starts happening again and again in which case take another look at that meal and perhaps think about adjusting the portion slightly :D

jojo7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks v much for your replies, I will try not to worry - till the next time :D

Finzi

Also, you are lucky if your meter is always that consistent. I can have a difference of 1-2mmol sometimes on the same blood sample (eg measure, but higher than I expected, measure again using same drop of blood, different reading up to 2mmol).

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.