Not happy!

Vera Bout

I started on insulin last Monday and am still getting readings ranging from 13 to 20+ and wanting to see better results than this. I am on humanalin M3 and was put on a starting dose of 8am 6pm which has now been increased to 12am 10pm but still jumping up at the slightest food intake. I know this is low dosage and i am told i will have how to regulate my own insulin explained shortly but it is demotivating when you think you have it under control then it goes high again. I was told they dont want to increase the levels fast or it will make me feel ill as my body is used to high sugar levels and to make it lower too quickly would make me ill, do you think this is right?

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been there. Everyone's different when it comes to insulin dose, and you have to start low and work the dose up slowly, because too high a dose could send you into a coma. With me, it took a whole, rather miserable, month before I was up to a working dose. There were times when I thought I'd never be well again. I just had to persevere, put the dose up every few days and hope for the best. And I got there in the end! I've now got blood sugar around 5-8 most of the time and feel more lively and enthusiastic about life than I have for a long time. A month is a bit extreme, most people start to feel the benefits way before that. But hang on in there, its worth it in the end!:smile:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

WilliamIrvine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they are the only one's in the world that have any problems, animal abuse of any type
Totally Carandol.

You are right to say take time. One thing you do not want is to crash your blood sugars down too quickly. It will take time as Carandol says but please do not give up hope :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think a lot depends on whether you were overweight and hence insulin resistant when starting the insulin or suffering from a 'dead' pancreas. The former implies excess insulin in the blood and the latter means not enough. This will affect how you react to the insulin injections. I fit the latter category. I started Basal 2 weeks back at bedtime and although it has helped reduce background sugar I still have big spikes after eating and expect to add rapid insulin shortly as well. I started at 10 units of Levemir and will stick with that (blood sugar typically 4.0mmol at 8.00am). I think those who are insulin resistant may take longer to settle and will need higher doses? I'm not an expert but give it time. As you probably know Humanalin is a mixed long/short acting insulin so may be your GP will need to consider a different mix; do discuss with him if needed? If it doesn't work out, you can always discuss having separate long and short acting insulins; mine is just long currently.

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Daibell said:
Hi. I think a lot depends on whether you were overweight and hence insulin resistant when starting the insulin or suffering from a 'dead' pancreas.

It's possible to be both! :crazy: I went from being very insulin resistant (despite not being the slightest bit overweight - diabetes runs in the family) to having a 'dead' pancreas in 2 weeks. Which is why I needed to pump so much insulin in before I started to feel the effects.

Vera Bout

Hi, thank you all for the replies, it is easier to know others have had the same experience when first starting on insulin, I am not down hearted too much and am sure in time I will get control of my diabetes but just have to get there. I am overweight but am losing weight slowly so going in the right direction and I have been told I am insulin resistant so fingers crossed that sorts out soon as well.
I am keeping in contact with diabetes nurse who said she will start to let me control the insulin myself with guidance if I need it. I have had a better day so far with dinner time reading of 14 so I think I am getting there.
Thanks again for the encouragement! :D