Differing readings from different fingers

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that normal? Over indulged a bit tonight, reading bit high so checked another finger, 1.2 higher. Odd?

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Disneyfan said:
Is that normal? Over indulged a bit tonight, reading bit high so checked another finger, 1.2 higher. Odd?

No, it is not unknown. You can use the same finger and two different strips will definately give two different results. There are many influencing factors about finger testing, all of which will alter the results.

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thanks. Finding control much harder without metformin, feel a bit back to square one over food :(

ChelseaLee3011

I'm exactly the same! The other night I was 22 in one hand and 15 in the other! That's a massive difference and my hands were definitely clean! It's so frustrating cos if I injected to cover the 22 I would of gone low if my blood was really 15! So confusing x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Most meters have a accuracy of 15%, 95% of the time. So 5% of the time they are beyond 15% accurate. So the higher you are, the less precise.

Have a read of this recent post about meter accuracy.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=37570&p=351070#p351070

There's a link in there explaining why meters vary so much. In the box of test strips there should be some literature explaining the precision of the meter.