Bedtime readings

samantha13

What's the lowest bs that's safe to go to bed with?

I'm new to the 'normal ranges' as the past 2.5years I was running high and my before bed readings regularly 9+ but now I'm better controlled jus wondered what was safe.

My bs is 4.9 tonight for example. To snack or sleep?? X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lovelylivpet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It really depends on what your basel rates are at that time. But for me I'm happy with 6 or 7. However, some people tend to go up or drop in the nightso best to talk to your doctor/consultant about it :D

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been told by my DSN to snack EVERY night before bed. I find this very frustrating as I never used to eat after dinner so I think it's to blame for my weight gain. I've only been diagnosed 3 weeks and I'm in the honeymoon period, so often my readings are over 9 by bedtime. But apparently I should still snack! So if you are at 4.9 I would definitely be snacking before bed. But I'm no expert!

Lovelylivpet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It really depends on what your basel rates are at that time. But for me I'm happy with 6 or 7. However, some people tend to go up or drop in the nightso best to talk to your doctor/consultant about it :D

iHs

Sam a bg level of 4.9mmol is a bit on the low side so best to be cautious and eat a small snack. 7mmol is good.

Have you thought about testing during the night to find out whether you have bg levels that go up or go down?

samantha13

Thanks iHs I had a small snack and my bg was 6.9 before sleeping. I have tested during the night a few times before and I rise slightly. Was 7.2 on waking so am pleased I went for the snack :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

iHs

Glad you were all ok this morning Sam.

I think that if you were to see a D consultant or DSN, they too would tell you to eat a small snack before going to bed. Having a hypo in your sleep and not waking is not a nice experience, especially when third party assistance has been used in order to make you recover.

Take care and be well :thumbup: