Flying

yiddo

Good evening all. I have a question if I may, I'm newly diagnosed T1 & will be flying to Belfast next month for a break away. Do I need a letter or something from my GP saying I'm a diabetic so I can bring my insulin, needles etc with me or do I need to contact the airline direct? Any help/ideas will be greatly received as I'm new to all this. Thank you in advance.

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A letter frm your GP may be helpful, I usually carry my prescription with me too, and always declare that I have insulin pens and needles. I've flown loads of times and never had a problem. Make sure all of your insulin is in your hand luggage as low temperatures in the hold can damage it. Have a great flight, good luck :)

Shetland-Mal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
I fly a fair bit and was given a letter from the diabetics clinic at the hospital when I started injecting.

kelp84

Hi I'm type one diabetic and spend about 80% of my time travelling with work and travelling around ! I have never been asked once about my Insulin or needles ... And I have been diabetic for 20 years ... Having said that I do carry a letter with me just to be safe althou like I said I have never been asked for it ! It is just a note from the docs stating what insulin I am on and detailing my prescription needs etc ... It would also be helpful to have this on you if u ever need to go to a pharmacy whilst away to get any medication :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App