blood glucose readings!?

milehouse

Hi I have been dx type 2 since dec 2011. Recently I decided to buy my own meter and test strips. I have been testing at different times of the day. I am trying very hard to beat this condition but as yet not in the least bit succeeding! My readings are sometimes within range 2 hours after meals and before meals. But for no good reason sometimes my readings can be in the high 15.3 ...I can also be as low as 3.8 before meals. I have cut out a lot of carbs. i.e potatoes bread rice pasta, but even a small piece of cod in breadcrumbs can elevate my readings. My last hbaic was 6.5 which the dn was very pleased with. I am due for bloods again in June and am worried about the results. However hard I try with my diet my bg readings fluctuate! Also if my readings are high how do I get them to lower again? I am on 1 x 500 metformin per day. Thanks. :?

Cinderella

Hi Milehouse

I know just how you feel. I was diagnosed in December 2012 and I have been testing regularly and have cut out as many carbs as I can from my diet. My HBA1C result was 7.2 (previously it was 10.9 on diagnosis) so that is an improvement but my bg results seem to go up and down a lot even tho I eat much the same things throughout a week. I have also had a lot of sore throats and colds since being diagnosed so don't know if this is partly to blame but it is very frustrating when you feel you are trying so hard but can't seem to achieve stability. I'm not sure what the answer is but hope it helps to know you're not the only one who is experiencing this. I am on 1 x 30mg gliclazide tablet a day. Sorry I don't have any answers but maybe someone out there will be able to enlighten us both!

Cinderella

milehouse

hi Cinderella. This condition is so confusing. I am nearly 65 and at the moment I can cope (just) with my diet. But I worry that when I get older maybe I won't be able to! I do exercise (dog walking) and am always on the go. But trying to motivate myself into anything more strenuous is a pain! I know also that some people drink alcohol and eat chocolate (in moderation) but I'm afraid to even give that a try! Let's hope, Cinderella, that someone can help... but I really think it is just down to us as individuals! Thanks for your prompt reply.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Milehouse,

Very good advice from Nomistheman. If I can just add one thing - although we are often advised to test 2 hours after eating, I find this can be very misleading. Some foods are low GI, so take much longer for carb to convert to blood glucose (often more than 2 hours), some are high GI so will convert within minutes. The amount of fat you have eaten also has an impact because this slows down the rate at which carbs are absorbed. This is why chocolate is not recommended to treat a hypo - yes it contains sugar, but the fat content slows down its effectiveness. When you test after 2 hours you can never be really sure whether your BG levels are on the way down, have just peaked, or are still rising. Personally I find a test after 3 hours gives a truer picture.

Dennis

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It takes a bit of time to get used to using a meter and interpreting the results. If you have an HBA1c of 6.5%, you are doing many of the right things. Don't let the meter persuade you otherwise. People make mistakes with meters, the quality of the blood samples are variable, meters have inaccuracies and so on and so on. When I first got mine, my readings were all over the place. After a couple of weeks they settled down but were high. For example 8.8 before I went for a proper blood test and 8.0 when I got back. The result of the proper blood test was 7.6. Even now that my readings are much lower, I can get a 5.7 from one finger and a 7.3 from another finger. On the odd occasion I decide to waste yet another strip, I will get maybe a 6.5. The meter manual tells me not to worry about the occasional 11 and my DN tells me not to worry about an occasional 15. I'd have a heart attack if I saw either of those figures thesedays.

With time and practice, you sort of get to know what is going on but a precise measurement which is representative of your entire bloodstream it is not. That's better handled by an HBA1c. Finger prick meters are just a quick snapshot.

milehouse

To nomistheman, Dennis, Yorksman
Thank you all so much for your input on this matter. I shall persevere and check up on all sorts of topics on this site. It's good to hear from folks who really understand my situation. Thanks.