Non diabetic blood glucose

Boyza

Hello all, have just joined and have a question.

My mother has a diabetes testing machine at home although neither of my parents are diagnosed as diabetics. I think they just wanted to keep a check on blood sugar levels as my Grandad had it and they've known other diabetics. Recently my Mum's been testing me using the strips, and I've twice shown a level around 8.6 mmol 2 hours after a meal. My Mum thinks this is high, especially for a 39 year old guy, and particularly as my Dad tests at around 5 after the same meal. Mum's now recommending I eat very little sugar, keep carbs down and exercise more. I'm pretty slim but have had a bit of a sweet tooth over the years.

Can anyone advise on this? Are these levels anything to really worry about? I am planning to keep sugar down and generally watch what I eat, but would like the odd piece of cake maybe (!). Your comments much appreciated. By the way, I haven't tested my fasting glucose levels as yet.

Thanks very much.

Geocacher

It's not uncommon for a non-diabetic to sometimes get mild highs and lows before and after meals. We're all different and react to sugar differently. It's possible that high you've seen could be indicative of pre-diabetes but don't make assumptions, get a test.

What makes a person a diabetic is when the blood sugar goes high and stays high for an extended period of time before it goes down to a normal level or it doesn't go down to a normal level at all. If you google 'glucose response curve' you can get images of the graphs that show how the body reacts to glucose.

mickey121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did not know I was diabetic till my annual blood test for cholesterol levels came back Dr called me in and said he thought I was per diabetic did a Bgtt and was told I had type 2 . A blood test at your Drs could sort this out for you one way or the other ,good luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Boyza

Thanks all. I have been pretty worried by these readings I must admit and am already acting on diet as a result. Just to clarify, I've not being diagnosed with anything, probably because I've not been to a doctor about it, yet. Also, I don't have any of the symptoms I've read about on this site. I feel fine, and have good energy levels.

nomistheman, you said 8.6 is slightly high for a type 2 diabetic - well what is it then for a (I hope) non-diabetic? Worse I assume?

Anyway, diet will be changed, more exercise, and I guess I better get that blood test.....One other question on diet - how does honey stack up? I've been swirling about a teaspoon in greek yoghurt. Maybe I shouldn't?

Thanks again.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have often allowed non-diabetics at meetings to "play" with a bg meter. I've only ever found 1 with a bg over 8 and she was in a high risk category. I would say anything over 8 probably means you are at risk too.
I'd certainly suggest a bit of carb control.
Hana

Boyza

Thanks all. It seems my reading certainly puts me in the region of a prediabetes sufferer. Its a wake-up call and I've already started cutting down carb portions and cutting out sugary treats and replacing with a bit of cheese or some nuts. Am I right in saying that not everything sweet is automatically bad though - apples for example? I do quite an active job so don't think I'll go down the no carb route - I hear its dangerous anyway, but carb reduction definitely. Would people say that carb control is more important in the long term than say sugar reduction - ie, can you have the odd few sweets or pieces of cake if you are controlling carbs overall? I know, my sweet tooth speaking again....

I think what I'm going to do is forego the doctor for the minute, improve lifestyle accordingly and retest on the strips in a month's time to see if things improve. Maybe then give another month and if readings are still high see a doctor. I really don't want to have to go on medication.

Thanks guys for your help - certainly is a shock though.

SmileyB4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Boyza,

I wouldn't worry too much about an 8 after a meal. When I was young my neighbor tested her blood on my machine (she was 14 yrs old) and her sugar came back as 10. I would assume, even today that it was high.... but the neighbor in question is still a healthy 45 year old and STILL doesn't have diabetes!
As someone has said before, we are all different and I would test your blood a bit more often if you are worried. A one off test is going to prove nothing.
My Dad's blood sugar is never below 6 and has been up to 8, but the doctors have said they would only be concerned if it was above 12 after a meal.....

Good luck!

Oh, and low carbs are important because they convert into sugar once eaten.

Boyza

Thanks for that Smiley84 - it has reassured me a bit. I know the two tests over 8 have probably led me to panic slightly. Genetics does play a part I know. I think I need to test my fasting levels when I visit my parents next and see what that comes out as. The carb reduction won't do me any harm to be honest - I'm pretty slim as I say but could do with losing a bit off my stomach area, and maybe half a stone in total. I also did binge a bit sometimes on sweet things - biscuits, sweets, and definitely am a big crisp lover, so will moderate these more. I expect I need to just watch my diet a bit more than I have been.

Will do a few more readings over time and see what they give.

Thanks again Smiley :)

glaves_r1991

Test your sugars after 4 hours not 2 carbs are still taking affect until about 3 and a half hours so my suggestion would be eat a carb heavy meal such as pasta or potatoes then check ur bloods after 4 hours if it's still high go to see your GP

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Boyza

Ok glaves, will do, but thought the standard test was 2 hours after a meal? That's what I keep reading on here. Also will test fasting level too. I have to wait until I go to Mum's - usually on Sundays.

Cheers.