Diabetes and Endometriosis!?

diabetty6911

Hi
I am type 1 diabetic with endometriosis. I find that it really raises my sugar levels but I manage the pain with my anti spasm tablets. During my period I take a slight increase in insulin. Sorry not much use but just to let u know that ur not alone. Xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sheniz_

Hi there.. same here t1, controlled thyroid, snd newly diagnosed with Endometriosis. I went to see the dr. Having severe groin pains and back ache.. they said the only way to get rid of them is surgery, but im t1 , i dont know if that will be safe..

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
How were you diagnosed with endometriosis? Symptoms or an ultrasound scan?

I was treated for endometriosis for about 15 years - drugs, D&Cs, the lot - until someone thought to send me for an ultrasound scan. No "chocolate cysts", no sign of anything related to endometriosis. Only an additional 4 stone on me because of the drugs :roll:

After that they decided to call it "dysmenorrhoea", which basically means "heavy periods, lots of pain but no-one knows why". My symptoms were back ache, extreme pain in the cervix area caused by inflammation, really heavy periods (12 night-time towels in 18 hours was the worst ever) including clots like lumps of liver. Pain-killers and anti-inflammatories wouldn't touch it. Sometimes the pain was so severe I was literally sick with it. Also my periods were irregular - ie, more frequent. Just what I needed! I don't know how I managed not to be anaemic.

I wasn't diabetic then but I can imagine what it could do to blood sugars.

Eventually I found an understanding gynaecologist (female) who fitted a Mirena coil, which is progesterone-loaded and stops the womb lining developing - therefore no more periods. No periods, no pain. :D

It is obviously a contraceptive, but can easily be removed if you want to get pregnant. Otherwise, no worries. I had a bit of break-through spotting to start with, but after that 5 years of no periods and no pain. (I still have back-ache related to something else). When I eventually had my coil removed I was through the menopause without ever having a symptom.

I suggest you both go back and have a good discussion with your gynaecologists (insist on seeing one!). If you haven't already had one, you need an ultrasound scan to double-check the diagnosis. Then ask about the Mirena coil. It is now licensed to treat bad periods, not just for contraception, and lasts at least 5 years. I don't see why it shouldn't help even if you do have the so-called "chocolate cysts" (wandering bits of womb lining) elsewhere in your body cavity.

Don't take no for an answer. Things must have improved since my problems, about 15 years ago now. There has to be a way of stopping the pain, and in my experience the Mirena coil does it. Worth trying!

Good luck!

Viv 8)

SewK8

Hi
I had endo for yrs and eventually had a total hyst at the age of 27. The only 100% sure way to diagnose endo is via laparoscopy. Ultrasounds will not show the endo patches.

I had trouble with BS while I had endo and found it much harder to control at the worst times of the month, (3 week bleeds were the norm) but after the hyst my control went mad. It took almost a yr to gain back control as I was getting symptoms of the menopause muddled with hi and low sugars.

If you have a compassionate DSN, talk to her about it as the both teams working together would be a good support structure.

I also had pcos which is related to insulin resistance which played merry hell with my bg levels. I was put on metformin because of this.

Good luck

Kat.

Type 1 - 28 yrs

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sheniz_

Thanks for your replies ladies..:) i wish you all the best.. well i had a mrc screening, and another with the injection and in both tests it was the same.. ( choco cysts) she said that if i was older she would remove the womb completely.. but that didnt sound good , i wouldnt let them do that if its not an emergency.. im also single so i cant use the coil.. must see a good Gyna. In london hackney :roll:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
sheniz_ said:
Thanks for your replies ladies..:) i wish you all the best.. well i had a mrc screening, and another with the injection and in both tests it was the same.. ( choco cysts) she said that if i was older she would remove the womb completely.. but that didnt sound good , i wouldnt let them do that if its not an emergency.. im also single so i cant use the coil.. must see a good Gyna. In london hackney :roll:

Why can't you use the coil? I was single when I had it fitted (still am) and the lovely consultant fitted it without a blink.

As I said, it is now licensed for controlling bad periods, separately from contraceptive use. It wasn't when I had mine, so we cooked up a little lie about me needing it for contraception. You won't need to do that nowadays.

You can get progesterone pills which have the same effect, but the coil lies closer to the problem, so to speak . . . Do try to talk to an expert. Good luck!

Viv 8)