Where am I going wrong ?

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before my dinner last night my reading was 5.8

Dinner
Half of a small plain Morrison's cooked chicken (minus wings and half the leg) skin removed
Salad
Lettuce
1 celery
1 spring onion
very small amount of sliced onion
3 strands of red pepper
3 strands of yellow pepper
1 tomato
1 tbs grated carrot
1 tbs mayo

2 hours after dinner my reading was 8.8! I thought that this was quite a low carb meal but would like some advice to where I am going wrong? I want to try and introduce some carbs into my diet but not sure I can on these readings :(

Cowboyjim

That looks like a very healthy meal... your NHS person would approve no doubt but I share your ire re the higher reading.

At first glance none of these should cause that highish reading 2 hours on. Evidently some delayed reaction maybe... the tomato is the only suspect perhaps. All the other veg should be a small contributor to the BG.

Protein and fat are I believe slower to push the BG up so it may be a delayed reaction so to speak. I bet it was not so bad an hour after.

Sadly as I often think you have to play a puzzle game to discover what hits you hardest, a combo of foods like this ought to be OK but clearly one or maybe two are affecting you badly. Try again without one e.g. tomato until you get more info.
This can be a very tedious process but persist and it will pay off I hope.

Best of luck.

A

Anonymous

Hi Lemonie,

first thing to say is that 8.8 isn't a disaster - it's just a bit higher than you want. There isn't much carb in that meal - though I react to carrot and tomato. Keep testing and you'll see what your body like and what it doesn't. Could also be a freak reading - if you get a reading you don't expect then do a 2nd test straight away to check.

S

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lemonie!

That meal looks about 10g carb to me. I would get the same reaction to that without my Apidra bolus insulin. I'm LADA. Your profile says you are Type 2 for about a year and in your early 40s. I was mis-diagnosed Type 2 at 42 and then reclassified LADA a year later. Keep an eye on your levels - if they keep going high after such a low-carb meal you need to start looking into the possibility that you are not Type 2. You probably are Type 2, but many of us LADAs were originally misdiagnosed as Type 2 and we are almost all very sensitive to even small amounts of carb. Just a thought.

Smidge

chrissyp

Dislikes
offensive people !!
I`m really struggling with carb measurements - are there any books that TELL you carb content of foods in set items please ? I wish they would print out diet sheets like my also Type 1 Mum used to have - I am sinking slowly trying to find the correct diet/measurements.

chrissyp

Dislikes
offensive people !!
Thanks Mo - I am so desperate I would pay ANYTHING.I know I am letting my Consultant down - he had enough faith in me to prescribe Victoza at £100 per box to help me lose weight but I feel as though I am wading through quicksand basal?,bolus?how to calculate a gram ? The Consultant DID explain to me but it just has not registered !

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
There are apps for your phone too.
myfitnesspal or carbs&cals. Good luck ! It's not too difficult once you start ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

toastlover

Some supermarkets add preservatives and additives to their cooked chickens and often use sugar in the baste. Even if you removed the skin some of it could have transferred into the chicken.

C

chris lowe

Hi, I got my carb counter from Amazon for about £1.50. It's a Collins Little Gem Carb counter. It's small enough to pop in my handbag when I'm going out. :D

liz_m

i cant eat those chickens - i always get a higher reading if i do. I read they inject Propylene glycol (vegetable glycerine) into the flesh to stop it drying out,

ellecook79

As well as what they are injecting into the chicken you should be aware that protein can also affect blood sugar levels, expecially in large amounts.

As a previous poster has said, your results after 1 hour would probably have been lower. Protein raises sugars slowly and over a longer amount of time.

If I ate that amount of protein in one go (and that is not a criticism, I have been known to) then I would need to inject a small amount of insulin to cover it. I realise that you can't do this but just remember in the future that protein, particulalrly in large amounts can have an effect on your sugar levels.

Good luck!

x

chrissyp

Dislikes
offensive people !!
thanks for your replies -I am sinking into a sea of depression.I need to alter my profile to Type 1 ,Insulin dependant - can`t even do that,never mind count grams of carbs!

I wish the powers that be would use Imperial measures when talking to people of my age (OMG -62) I just cannot relate to a gram ! I stabilised myself (well the Insulin did ) but once again my readings are going haywire.

garythegob

chrissyp said:
I`m really struggling with carb measurements - are there any books that TELL you carb content of foods in set items please ? I wish they would print out diet sheets like my also Type 1 Mum used to have - I am sinking slowly trying to find the correct diet/measurements.
hi crissy, I can recommend an app called MYFITNESSPAL, it has a barcode reader, and you scan the barcode and the app tells you all nutritional value for that item

garythegob

chrissyp said:
thanks for your replies -I am sinking into a sea of depression.I need to alter my profile to Type 1 ,Insulin dependant - can`t even do that,never mind count grams of carbs!

I wish the powers that be would use Imperial measures when talking to people of my age (OMG -62) I just cannot relate to a gram ! I stabilised myself (well the Insulin did ) but once again my readings are going haywire.
hi again, a rough conversion is 50g is 2oz