NHS dont give enough advice

kocall

does anyone else think the doctor & nurses dont give enough advice ???
even when i asked all i was told was if i told u the complecations of diabetes it wud proberbly scare u to death that was 14yrs ago there wasn't wide use ofthe internet back then and not much at the libery eather .
through lack of support and information and suger levels all over place diabetes has left me blind and i have neuropathy my stomach doesn't work anymore .
i am simply appalled at the posts my wife reads to me that there is still so much lack of support from the NHS .

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people on here think the NHS give inadequate advice. They take the attitude that it is a progressive condition and since it's going to get worse there is not much you can do about it. No-one on here believes that.

I don't know what is going on in their heads but when I was diagnosed with type 2 I was given paperwork for cholesterol and blood pressure. They don't seem to acknowledge it.

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found the NHS via hospital great lots of help and advice. GPs not so great but they don't handle my diabetes and if I have a issue I speak to my DSN.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Best place is here for learning, support and lifeling friends for diabetes.

Doesnt matter what you're going through with your diabetes. Theres support and real life education here.

I find the nhs treats me as an average or number, not an individual.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most of the GP's I have seen appear not to care until its to late and one has to be treated for secondary illnesses, even then there's no real support. The foot checkers and the hospital eye tests people do care more than the doctors as they do try their best to keep you free as possible of secondary problems.

Muddie

My 3yr old was dx 4 weeks ago , we where in hospital 4 days , whole in we saw somebody from the diabetic team at least once a day !! Since we've been home the diabetic nurse has been to see us every week for at least an hour !! Inbetween I've had txts and phone calls every other day to see how we are !!! I've gotta say I am very impressed with the team !!! As far as my gp is concerned , not seen or heard a thing other then picking up prescriptions !!! Couldn't have coped with the diabetic team !!!! Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scardoc

Nothing but praise for the NHS - my local hospital and surgery have looked after me brilliantly for the last 5 years. I like to think I have made their life much easier by looking after myself and my diabetes.

As for being a progressive condition that they don't see the point in treating - I have never been told anything other than you can live a perfectly normal life with T1 diabetes and not suffer any serious complications of you manage it properly.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I really can't fault the NHS that much with regards to my diabetes care. I believe time willing they would like to spend more time with patients but the sheer number of patients and demands on their time make it impossible to do so, I can't remember a time where my diabetes team have refused to see me or not returned a call when I've needed advice or reassurance... but do appreciate that this isn't the case for everyone.