The fight for diabetic freedom!

Blood sugar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, All

This is my log of my diabetes journey.

Diagnosed around 14/3/2013 - HB1c 10.4, Fasting 14.8 - a great start! I wondered why I had been feeling unwell for ages.

Following a lot of research, I decided to put myself on a Low carb diet.

Date started: 18/3/2013

Current stats after 4 weeks
FBS down from 14.8 to average of 9.8 after 4 weeks
Weight: lost 14lbs
Blood pressure: 165/115 - 121/80

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Blood Sugar and welcome to the forum, looks like you have made a good start in reducing those high blood glucose (BG) levels, congratulations, keep it up :clap:

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
WELCOME Blood Sugar ! how the dickens did you come up with that name ?

Low carb is the way to go - no doubt ! Do not listen to the doubters, they do not know.

Lots of help on here, you will see that ! Daisy will be along shortly I expect to give the advice.....

Again, Welcome, and you will learn so much from people who have enormous experience of our ' little trouble ' .

Good luck, Keep calm eat fat and meat and carry on !

Superchip !

Blood sugar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Guys,

Thank you for your warm welcome. I will add some more posts this week when I get time. I have looked around this forum for the past month and I am impressed with the number of people that have turned their lives around against all the 'advice'. Also, equally impressive is the generous support offered here.

Without this place ( and others like it), it would be difficult to get anywhere. I am glad to be member and glad for any advice. Only 4 weeks in and lots more to do !

BS( Blood sugar not b..........s.....

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Blood Sugar and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information that Superchip mentioned which we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you like and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Blood sugar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Daisy

Thank you for your post. All very useful information. As you mention, it is initially a shock and the potential complications are even a bigger shock.
Another shock I have had is the inability of the NHS to recognise and offer any support self management of diabetes. However saying that, this is the third run in I have had with the NHS over the years. I am sure that other people have had the same experience(you will be lucky if you haven't).

Thanks for posting the NICE guidelines. Err...what 'self management education'

BS

Blood sugar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, now I am here, I thought I would give a few more details about how I have been dealing with my diabetes.

As soon as I knew , I did the research that many of you have. I came across the Newcastle Diet and for now decided not to do it. Instead I have chosen to the do the following:

1. Get at least a blood sugar monitor and some tests strips from the surgery ( by hook or crook)

2. Reduced my carbs to a max of 50g per day and have calories set around 1400( I know it probably doesn't matter about the calories but I can use it as evidence)

3. No exercise for the first 4-5 weeks to show that diet is getting results not combined with exercise

4. Not to take any of the 5 prescriptions given to me by the doctor - just to stick to 1 blood pressure tablet a day

Results in next post!

Blood sugar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I would post about what i have been eating on the 50g per day carbs diet.

Firstly, I am using Myfitnesspal to record all that I eat and drink. Without this or an app like it, it would be tough to record accurately.
In order to get the amounts roughly correct for each day, I amended the amounts of fat, carbs and protein on MFP. That now gives me grams and calories each day.
Settings used: 15% carbs - 50g, 50% Protein - 175g and 35% Fat - 54g. Calories: 1400

Breakfast: scrambled egg, tinned tomatoes, mushrooms - sometimes bacon(with fat on)
Lunch - large salad with tomato, cucumber, lettuce, spring onion + ham, hard cheese or cottage cheese with salad dressing
Dinner - meat(with fat on) ( don't eat fish) + loads of veg - cauli, cabbage, carrots, green beans, spinach and so on ...
Snacks x 2-3 - 25g almonds/walnuts/cheese slices/sugar free jelly
Multi vits/vit e/omega 3 oil/flaxseed, i tsp per day sprinkled on food

BS

Blood sugar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, All

WEEK 6 UPDATE

Well, I have been on a 50g per day low carb diet for 6 weeks(ended Sunday)

As of last week, my FBS average is inching lower with an average of 9.14. ( 4 days under 10 & 3 under 9).

Currently I am testing only in the morning due to the cost of the strips. I am going to have to bite the bullet soon and test before /after meals so I can get a better picture of what is happening during the day.
Having said that, I have tested occasionally during the day and it is always lower than the am reading and 2 hours after meals it is under 8.5 ( I think this is NICE guidelines).

My doctor has been told they are not allowed to issue prescriptions for test strips ( however they are allowed to issues repeat prescriptions for lots of tablets!!)

BS

KennyS

"My doctor has been told they are not allowed to issue prescriptions for test strips"

If you are in the mood to press your doctor you could ask exactly where that edict came from and if it is the practice of your NHS adminstrative group to blanket treat patients. That flys in the face of treatment plans taylored for specific patient needs.....

Sounds like you are focusing on what needs to be done and understand that you need more comprehensive testing.... at least for a while. Keep up the good work and continue to learn.

Kenny

Blood sugar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Kenny S

Thank you for your post.

When i visited the doctor recently, he asked 'why i wanted to test as i was doing well on my low carb diet'. I told him that i want to see what the intraday readings are so I can identify the foods which push the bs up or not.
He said all doctors( presumably in the Derby area) have been told not to issue test strips (insulin users only) as we don't need to know what out bs is.

I told him about the research that has been done on low carb diets ( not just Newcastle) - he has not heard of it, surprising that my surgery is suppose to be trained in diabetes management! The NHS line is eat as many carbs as you want as sort it out with pills or insulin! The DB nurse also has little interest.

We hear constantly in the press about how much money is spent on diabetes complications and the NHS will do very little or nothing to support self management.

I have nicknamed the NHS approach as 'The Diabetes Pathway' managing patients to an early demise!!

BS

Blood sugar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, All

UPDATE : WEEK 8

Well, progress is slowing down as I expected it might.

Weight: no weight loss in the last 2 weeks

BP: hovering 120-130/80-90

BS: Week 7 & Week 8 - average is the same 9.3 ( slightly higher than week before 9.1)

Issues that someone may be able to help with:

Walked into town( 1 mile ) after usual breakfast and BS above 9 in the morning test, felt very faint
Got back and tested BS was 5.9 had some food. Since then my morning bloods have been above 9 in the morning, whereas the week before i was getting a mix of 8 and 9

Q: Is it usual to experience a drop in blood sugar after a walk? I have been reading the exercise forum and it seems to be an issue during strenuous exercise

Thanks

BS

Blood sugar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, everyone

Update- Week 9

Weight : weight starting to move again - lost 2lbs last week(wk 9)

Blood sugar: fasting- again after a ranging period - fbs is now 8.6 avg for week 9(prev wk 9.3)

Exercise- not added any in as I have a foot problem at the moment

Next HB1c after week 12

BS

Finzi

It sounds like everything is moving in the right direction slowly but surely! Well done! Is this still all just diet only?

Your doctor may suggest metformin if you're not on it already and that might take it down a little further (maybe another 1-2 mmol)

Blood sugar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Finzi

Thanks for your message. I am still only using diet with no exercise and I am now on the last week 12. I do not want to take any tablets as I believe that I can achieve a longer lasting result without any. I have decided to give myself a year to to try and achive my goal.

Thanks

BS

Blood sugar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
UPDATE WEEK 11

Week 10 was brill! FBS was avg of 7.4 which is the best ever

Weight - loss 3 llbs after a stagnant period

Blood pressure - avg 120/80 except when I see a white coat

WEEK 11 ( LAST WEEK)

FBS avg was 8.4 - for some strange reason , my bs were elevated this week for no apparent reason

Pre meal bloods when i check them around 7 which is not bad(havent got enough strips to test after meals- will be doing this from week 13/14)

BS