Need advice

Nadia_999

Hello everyone! I'm in a difficult situation and really need some advice. I think my husband has diabetes type 2. I'm pregnant now with our first baby, and I know he doesn't want to make me worry about anything. One day I noticed he is taking some pills after food trying to hide it from me. Of course I found these tablets, googled names and understood that its treatment for diabetis 2. I was schocked and tried to talk to him. No results. He refused everything and I didn't want to push him. After reading a lot of information I decided that I can help me without him realising that. I'm trying to change his diet, not to buy sweets and take him to walk every day. Don't know what else I can do. I'm stressed, pregnant and want to help my husband so badly. What else should I pay attention to? How can I help him? Any advice will be appreciated. And please, don't think we are keeping secrets from each other, it's just smth new and he is still not ready to talk about that.

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think your suggestion of making healthy meals and getting him active is great.

I guess he doesn't want you to worry, with the baby on the way. Good luck.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Healthy meals and exercise will help you and the baby and your husband if he has T2 or if he doesn't.
I'd suggest you leave out ready prepared food as much as possible and go to natural home prepared. With luck, we'll have a summer so you can have salad as often as possible. keep away from sugar too.
Good luck with your baby!
Hana

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It must be difficult for you and him. How old is he and is he overweight? Do follow the low-GI carb diet guidelines on this forum. Try to persuade him to get a meter once he's prepared to talk about it so he can check his bloods and have a suitable diet to bring the sugars down. I assume he has been to the GP without you knowing and hence the tablets. Are they prescribed ones? Once he is prepared to talk about it try to agree to go along with him to the next visit; my wife usually accompanies me and it does help to have two voices with the GP. Hopefully you can modify his diet without him realising e.g. more high-fibre foods, less sugar added etc. For example, my wife makes crumble pudding with Canderel and you can't tell the difference

Nadia_999

He is 51 yo and little overweight. He works in the hospital so it was not problem for him to see GP without letting me know. So tablets are prescribed . Didnt see the prescription but there is no other way he got them. Hopefully after baby arrives he will tell me everything but now I'm reading this Forum and getting more cooking ideas. Thanks for your advice

mickey121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When one is first diagnosed as diabetic it is quite a shock to the system . I can understand him not wanting to worry you but I feel now you have found out it would probably ease your mind if he explained what was happening. Diabetes is very personal and we all deal with it in different ways,some live with it, some live it and others will be in various stages of denial. I hope everything works out for you and your family

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App