Why do some people feel it when there BG is high

Maddiemo1

Im prediabetic yet I don't feel well at all when my BG is to high. Yet a lot of people with full blown diabetes don't feel any different why?
I feel very tired and fall asleep and alwaysE wake up with a hangover. I keep wondering if I am PD or maybe I have a intolerance to sugar. Wishful thinking on my part.
If most people don't feel any different I can see why there are many walking around with diabetes .

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Uncontrolled diabetics are like alcoholics or drug-addicts. Your system gets used to operating in a high-sugar environment, so you don't notice being "high".

The first time I got my BG under 7mmol/l, I couldn't believe how lucid and well I felt. This was soon replaced by headaches and withdrawal symptoms as my system adjusted to regular glucose levels.

If I went "high" now, I could tell instantly.

antmos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been a diabetic for 12 years, not always well controlled, and I ALWAYS feel it when my bg goes too high. I feel incredibly tired, like I cant move a muscle, and just want to go to sleep. Not a good feeling. It is lovely when my sugars are well controlled, I feel so perky :lol:

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that when my BS is too high I just want to curl up and go to sleep. As my average BS level has come down the level that sends me to sleep has also come down. It's the same when I get lower than normal readings, I used to feel shaky and light headed if my readings dropped below 5 but now they have to drop below 4 before my body complains. I guess I find it reassuring that my body lets me know what is happening.

LittleWolf

I get cranky, have a headache and feel like someone slipped me sleeping pills.

Dehydration could be a factor, doesn't the body try to expel excess glucose in your pee?I can tell I've woken up high if i'm dying too pee and my mouth/eyes are dry. Drinking more water is def. recommended... For everyone!

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My high crept up on me unnoticed over time, it was only when it was in the 20's that I felt there was some thing wrong, just generally tired and a struggle to do things.

When it came back to normal in a few days after new meds, It hit me with the shakes of a hypo, though was in the normal range.

I had an eye test in Dec 12, and just had another re-test as going from the 20's back to normal has caused an eye sight change, two prescriptions in 6 months due to not monitoring or rather monitoring as per doctors orders. I did not notice or feel any change in my eye sight when going up (though with some they get blurred vision), but coming down quickly and once stable again noticed there was a difference. Optician said they could see no damage :), hospital test due shortly hopefully will confirm no damage.