Diagnosed 28th February 2013

XwizX

Hi There,
my name is David, as the title says I was diagnosed with Diabetes on 28th February. Im still trying to get used to everything any many terms etc, and have been looking through the DCUK forums for a couple weeks now and getting some good info so well done and thanks to everyone that puts time and effort into giving information.

My story Is quite a long one so I will try and keep it as brief as I can, but basically since last year I'd not been feeling great and had a few symtoms of diabetes, I went for a GTC and it came back what the doctor said Borderline diabetes and to be re-checked 12 months later, this was back in September 2012. However between Xmas and New year I got really i'll I woke up one morning feeling so thirsty and my mouth was so dry, Id only just came off steroids id been taking for a chest infection a week before this and i put it down to those plus the anti-biotics that were maybe making me feel that bad. Then after a few days I developed thrush again put it down to the anti-biotics, I tried to treat it myself with canestan etc, after a couple of weeks things were getting worse so I called the GP who said I could pick up a prescription for cream and a tablet. I explained about the thirst etc and by this time I was literally drinking 4-5 litres of water a night more during the day and going to toilet every 30minutes, Dr said I should have another GTC. I had to wait 2 weeks for appointment this was now taking me to first week February, I then received a letter from DWP to attend an interview this was coinciding with the GTC I called and asked to be excused but I was told it could affect our benefits. I called the doctors surger and was told the next available date for the nurse to do the GTC would be a further 2 weeks.

Eventually I went for the GTC on 20th February, received a letter on the Monday 25th asking me to call the surgery to speak to a doctor about my results, this worried me as I had originally been told it would be a week and to call back on the Wednesday afternoon, however I called and was told a Dr would have to call me back for a telephone consultation but it wouldnt be until Thursday 28th. Thursday came Doc called and asked me to be at surgery within the hour to see her If another Dr could be available before then, then they would let me know to pop in sooner, as it turned out another doc was available and i was told to get to surgery as soon as i could doctor was waiting and to be prepared I might have to go to hospital, at no point had I been told yet that I was diabetic, my wife was out with the kids at the time so i called her to let her know I was on way to docs. When I got thereI had to give urine sample Doctor took me in a room he said my BG Level was 32 he checked for ketones and my Ketone level was 0.6 he confirmed I was diabetic game me a prescription for Metformin 500g told me he would contact diabetic clinic right away and they would call me next day. I got call and was immediately told to take 3 a day metformin and also to pick up prescription for Gliclizide and take that as well and to be at clinic for the following Tuesday to see nurse.

Went on the Tuesday and BG levels were 28 was given a machine for testing BG and also another machine for ketone testing and told to take readings 4 times a day and record them and to go back on Thursday, my reading for those days were all between 25 and off the scale as in reading "HI" on the monitor which only goes to 34. I was immediately then put on insulin (Novomix 30) and told to take 30 units in morning at breakfast and another 30 units at teat time and also to keep taking the metformin 500mg three times a day.

Now this past week or so my readings have come right down and are sitting about 6 with the odd spike, only had a couple hypos not severe as I seem to be able to tell when a hypo is occurring and i test immediately and then take lucozade tablets and a lucozade drink the lowest I've went so far was 3.4.

Two weeks ago I had my first proper appointment with the diabetic consultant and I had the full blood works taken, on Saturday a letter arrived from the clinic saying in my blood test it has shown up I have an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) and to arrange for GP to prescribe me thyroxin. Then to have bloods taken in 6-8 weeks.

What I've since discovered and is a main question, The clinic had diagnosed me T2 but from what I have read hypothyroidism is a condition most common with diabetics that are T1, could the clinic have got my diagnosis wrong? could I be Type1? Also how will having an underactive thyroid affect my diabetes and insulin etc?

Apologies for the long story after saying I would try keep it brief. Thanks very much for any answers and help.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's not for me to diagnose you for afar but with the blood sugar levels that were found prior to insulin would imply that you are Late onset T1 not T2, with some caveats. How old are you? Diabetes in the young that comes on fairly rapidly and if you are not overweight will usually be late onset T1 not T2. Misdiagnosis is common. The treatment regimes may be similar but you will go onto insulin much faster. The caveats I mention are that steroids can induce diabetes, which can often be reversed when steroids are stopped and hypothyroidism may obviously be a factor to be taken into account with regard to diagnosis. I have no knowledge of the influence of the thyroid on diabetes, so can't comment

XwizX

Hi Daibell, thanks for replying, I just turned 41 in February and overweight yes, so pretty text book T2 usually. I was just concerned based on what I've been reading, as like anyone else newly diagnosed its a lot to take in so i've tried reading as much as I can but a lot of info seems very complicated and nothing like what I've been told. I basically ended up going onto insulin within a week of diagnosis, the Docs words at the diabetic clinic were tablets are doing nothing for me and I would have to go onto insulin.

Vern

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Hi there! I think that after reading your post you must be seriously confused! Ok - in context. Type 2 is typically an age/lifestyle control condition. Note that I do not say disease, it's merely a condition. At your numbers you appear to be Type 1. It is also a condition and YOU need to control it. Not It you. Insulin for your BG is probably your best route and thereafter if you can, you will reduce and control with dietary and pill control. Right now it is of paramount importance to remember that you need to get your numbers down - however, under your terms. Ask questions, educate yourself, be aggressive with your treatment, don't stress about it. Stress raises BG so avoid it! Avoid Carbs especially refined carbs and eat Protein. fat and veggies for now. Daisy will give you all the info you need and when your numbers are under control, wether by Insulin or pills we will see you through this. Good luck and this Forum is great. They took me through diagnosis to education then solutions.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi David and welcome to the forum :)

I am glad that you are getting good advice from members and I think you will find it useful. Here is the information, mentioned by Vern, that we give to new members, which should also be helpful to you. Ask more questions when you need to as there is always someone to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

XwizX

Hi Daisy, thanks for the info. Have spoke to Doctor this morning picking up Thyroxine shortly I'm waiting on a callback from my DN, I have found out though what my original HBA1c was will post below both results and dates.

20th February original GTC HBA1c - 149
4th April HBA1c - 104 (Had been on novomix 30 twice daily for 4 weeks and Metformin 500 3 times a day for 5 weeks )

Due another HBA1c test in 6 weeks along with bloods being checked for thyroid to see if I have correct thyroxine dose or if it needs re-adjusted)

Im not totally sure how bad those HBA1c readings are i know they are high but are they really bad?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. An Hba1c of 104 is still very high and not good but at least you have made a great change coming down from 149. With that rate of reduction you should move into more acceptable areas over the next few weeks so don't panic! Although I posted earlier that it was possible you are a Late onset T1, at age 41 and being overweight, as you say it could just be insulin resistant T2. With a bit of luck as the weight reduces and the insulin resistance fades then the insulin dosage could be reduced. It is of course possible to be both Late onset T1 and T2, but in many ways it doesn't matter as the injected insulin will eventually get balanced to what your body needs with a lower weight. Good luck with the next HBa1c.

Luckystar96

Hi, I am type 1 and also hypothyroid, the two often go together apparently (both are autoimmune diseases)
Just a thought but one of the main symptom of un -diagnosed under- active thyroid is weight gain. Also, the thyroid problem can affect blood sugars. It's difficult for you that both conditions have been discovered at the same time. It takes quite a long time for the correct dose of thyroxine to be found so you'll need to give yourself plenty of time to adjust.

XwizX

Thanks for the response guys, DN called me this afternoon, she is making an appointment for me to go in see her and also dietician so i can get info and learn about carb counting as im being moved onto a Basel and Bolus regime instead of novomix 30.

She also said my diagnosis has not been totally confirmed yet as bloods that were taken at consultants appointment have not came back, Apparently that test can take a bit longer.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You should be much better on a Basal/Bolus regime as you will be able to have better control during a 24 hour day which is something you need.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
28th February was when I was diagnosed the Metformin and Gliclazide didn't bring my sugars below 12 until I started on insulin 4 weeks later my sugars are now 5.5 to 8.9 on 13units once every evening
My diet is <150 carbs high on protein and I have discovered some wonderful recipes omelettes being the simplest and easiest to knock up and helps with the carb cravings I get.
This forum has been a god send to me and the people have been very helpful with their advice, it gets better as you get used to it

elaine77

Hi wiz, although you are overweight and over 40, the weight could be linked to the thyroid condition. I'm no expert but my consultant told me that if u have ketones in your urine at diagnosis it is nearly always linked to type 1 diabetes not type 2 - he did say NEARLY always though. Although the treatment is the same I do think its important to know your correct diagnosis - for research reasons. Good luck :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.