How many tests a day?

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I know this has been asked before, but I am currently trying to get my repeat prescription increased from 150 strips per month to 250

I am a Type 1 (since 1975) with Stage 4 CKD. I currently do approx 8/10 tests a day. My renal consultant wants me to keep good control, I drive and DVLA say I should test before each journey and I wake up with very high levels so I am currently testing 1/2 times through the night. So on a normal day I test when I get up, before I drive to work, before I drive home for lunch, later afternoon (I sometimes go low around this time, before I drive home, before I take the dogs out, before bed and 1/2 times over night. On days when I do extra journeys then I have to test more, does this seem reasonable?

Lorna

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lorna, I guess there's no rule. I'm diabetic since 1980 and I test as often if not more than you.
I found all the system wrong. They want you to control yourself but usually they don't give you enough strips. In the past I had so many problems with gp and I always ended up buying some strips with my money. Now luckily I have a different gp and he never declined my request. But now I'm using an insulin pump and so they know that I must test more often and cannot say no. To cut a long story I got 300 a month. I would rather prefer a CGM but I should pay myself to get one.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Just spoken to my DNA, she has changed my prescription to 200 per month.

She also told me to stop splitting my Levemir in 3 and just to split it in 2 as this may help with the overnight swings, we will see. I am seeing consultant next month and we are going to discuss pump therapy