Feeling fed up!

EmmRoseTat

It's been 3 weeks since I've been diagnosed with T1. I have good days and bad days, I'm getting use to it all although I'm getting hesitant to pricking my finger to test, they all ache so much!
Everyone I talk to either say its going to be fine or they are all like it will become 2nd nature, but right now it just feels ****! And I don't want to snap at them but they don't know what I'm going through. I feel like a drama queen half the time thinking just get over it. So thought I'd let some steam off here and get some opinions.

I haven't spoken to my dietician yet so I'm just on fixed doses of insulin so when I went to the cinema tonight I was staring at all these sweets and popcorn and arrgghh this **** fed up feeling gets worse. .

How long did it take till you felt, well, normal again?

Since focusing on taking insulin all the time a couple of weeks in the mornings I kept forgetting to take my tablets for my under active thyroid. Many other people have both underactive and T1?

Be great to hear from you !!

Em x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Hi there,
This is such a hard question to answer I'm afraid. I've had Type 1 for 17 years, I was a child at diagnosis so I don't really remember much. All I can say is I still have good days and bad days whereby things go great with my bs levels or sometimes hormones/stress/life gets in the way and the levels increase. Most of the time I do feel ok but on the more stressful weeks I still get just as fed up as you sound now.

The only advice I can give you is keep your chin up and keep plugging along. It does take time to settle once newly diagnosed and quite frankly it's a heck of a lot to take in all in one go. Use this website to your advantage as there are some fantastic people on here who can offer brilliant advice and guide you into the right path/information. Another alternative is also to talk to your GP as it is not uncommon to seek extra support during this stressful process, I myself have been to a counsellor just to let things off my chest about the frustrations of diabetes and it did help me.

I hope this is helpful, thinking of you, keep smiling, you can do this! :D

Lucyturner

I've been diagnosed type 1 a year and I still struggle a lot, pricking your finger does get easier but it takes time. I still have a lot of bad days but they are getting fewer. It really helps to talk about it, whether it's to a friend or partner or even on her everyone is willing to listen and help if they can. Just take it one day at a time, try not to focus on what you can't eat as it just makes it harder. I know it's not easy and it feels like it's never going to get better but it does. Try getting yourself in to a routine like taking your tablets at the same time as your morning insulin, that's what I do with the HRT tablets that I have to take. I was diagnosed with early menopause at the age of 19, right now I think if I got through that then I can get through this.

I hope I've helped even if only a little.

Lucy

QasimH

Hi Em .. It is difficult at first as the lifestyle change is a real shock .. I was diagnosed at 19 been diabetic for 5 years now .. Somedays are more difficult than others but remember to stay strong and keep plodding along :) ultimately it's your health and you nee to look after yourself as much as you can :) as its still early days you will get better with time I promise plus we are all here to help :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eugh I'm feeling the exact same way right now. It's been almost 3 months and I've just suddenly hit a wall! Just back from a weeks holiday where I just couldn't get my BG in range. It's say between 8 and 11 all week regardless of how much insulin I did. Very disheartening!

I'm surprised you haven't seen the dietician yet. My appointment was less than a week after diagnosis. Do you have a date for it? Once you're controlling your own doses it becomes a lot easier

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Hun - I have been diagnosed type 1 a year ago now also have an under active thyroid. It's a lot to take on board and over whelming so be gentle on yourself and take one day at a time, it does get a lot better but that comes with knowledge so try to read up as much as possible - Dr Bernsteins Diabetes Solution is a good book. Have you tried your finger pricking on the side of your fingers it's less painful and better for your fingers ? There's lots of things to help including here, DAFNE and your DSN, we're pretty lucky to have some many resources available. Over time it won't be so huge in your life as you get better at self managing it but it is pretty scary to start with and you are definitely not alone x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
By the way one of the hardest things I dealt with in the early days was my consultants unrealistic take on diabetes, he told me I had to stay within 4 to 7 - this was a joke as being diabetic and depending on when you test and if you got your carb ratios right they could be anywhere from 4 to 21, this got me down, until I came to the conclusion that I only knew what was right for me and when to test too, I am happy if I get between 5 and 9, 2 hours after mealtimes, so this is just another step to learning what works for you, we are all different too so what works for one isn't the same for another, it's just fine tuning diabetes to work for you x

Hello I gave been a t1 diabetic since November 2011 and it does get easier and it will become second nature to you. I did feel down at first but trust me it does get easier. Xx

kevc78

I was diagnosed in 2005. Living with it and managing it does get easier over time, there will be good and bad days like anything else in life but the trick is on the bad days to remember that they don't last forever and just take it one day at a time

lexilox

Being on fixed doses only works if you eat exactly the same amount of carbs and do the same amount of activities every day, which I doubt many people do, so unless you are like that your BGs are gonna be all over the place which is from experience exhausting. I would recommend getting on a DAFNE or similar course as soon as you possibly can for anyone on insulin, wish I'd learned that sooner not twenty years after diagnosis x Good luck all x

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
When you next speak to nurse or doctor, ask if you can carb count and adjust accordingly. I could not handle sticking to same food and carbs day in day out. Too strict a regime and no wonder you're fed up. It's so much more flexible, you can eat what you want within reason, work out the carbs and inject accordingly. Your nurse can tell you how many carbs per unit of insulin. Many are 10g of carbs per 1 unit of insulin. Mine is 1 unit per 15g of carbs. There are many books or apps which have all carbs listed for food. Most are on the packaging anyway. You should ask to go on DAFNE course as soon as poss but you can start adjusting doses before. My course is not til Nov but still just counting carbs and it gets easier and allows for occasional treats. Good luck.

Mum23

Hi , I've been type 1 for 28 years , since the age of 7 , and you will find you go through a lot of ups and downs , times of feeling like you have had enough but it does get easier !!! I have these mood swings all the time , my poor hubby lol , and sometimes it all gets on top of me but what choice do we have !!! You will be fine and if you need any advice etc feel free to message x

lukkymik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The opposites of above!!!!
Hi.. Ive been type 2 for a few years and the ups and downs used to really get to me until I did 2 things ... Firstly I changed my Dr as my original GP was a dinosaur who was so old school that unless it was stated or published in the Lancet it was wrong. ie ALL diabetics are Type 1 or 2 & ALL will have the same symptoms problems etc etc. Secondly I found Diabetes UK. Their help and the freindly guidance advice and real time experiences of other diabetics have helped me through some very dark times. Give us a go & we might not know it all but we have been through a lot between us and you'll always find an ear on hear to ask your question of. Chin up kid it does get easier with time & theres no such thing as a silly/daft question. Just ask & we'll try to help if we can or we might know what direction to send you in. Mike

taffy_63

Hi, I've been type 1 since I was 10 years old (nearly 40 years ago). I regularly have good and bad days, but we just have to get on with it don't we. I did a DAFNE course about 4 years ago and have been pumping for 18 months. The carb counting course made such a difference to me, so if you can, insist on doing one - make a fuss if you have to! I find with finger pricking (which I do about 6/7 times a day) I use the side of my fingers with an Accu-chek Multiclix which is the kindest lancet pen I've ever used. Also, rub in plenty of hand cream to avoid callouses/soreness. I have been taking thyroxine for just over 12 months, so I understand how you feel when you forget - like someone else mentioned, I take my meds when I'm taking my insulin so it becomes a routine. if you want a natter (or a moan) just pm me. Take care, and don't be too hard on yourself. Helen