Is marijuana good for diabetes?

LittleWolf

Good morning

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as preachy there, which is why I didn't include personal comment with that link. Just thought it interesting as it is a recent study on such a specific topic as this.

Oh I will, thank you- then onwards to mopping the floor, laundry, a few music video treatments to write and a day at an anime convention.

Have a nice day, Mart; I hear you've not been doing too well of late so I send you many hugs x

PS I am actually a Christian, but I try not to preach too much about that XP

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
LW x enjoy your day.

LittleWolf

Stack you fridge with veggies!

When I'm baked everything tastes good, even if the only thing left in the cool compartment is cabbage lol

foreverdelayed

At the end of the day, people develop coping strategies based on circumstances. The very fact people are having to cope suggests a need for a degree of assistance. If that assistance comes in the form of counselling, pills or weed then who are we to judge, who is anyone to judge! Everyone is different. The fact weed is being argued about shows its prevalence in society. Like it or not, its an effective coping strategy for some. The law cannot express the difference in individual needs and therefore needs to be reconsidered to reflect this. Be it through licensing or restricted medical issuing. Alternatively, the authorities could actually enforce the law to send home the message. Currently, its too much of a grey area. But my final point would be that I do not judge, we are products of circumstance, and whatever your view or opinion, you have reached it through circumstances of which I could only begin to imagine.
Live and let live.
S

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
LittleWolf said:
Stack you fridge with veggies!

When I'm baked everything tastes good, even if the only thing left in the cool compartment is cabbage lol
Even though it's a long time since I have smoked, I can vouch that one of the best snacks when you're under the influence is carrot sticks... or even just whole raw carrots. Mmmmm!

Bogusman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
Well I have been sticking a needle in me 6 times a day for 28 years, so having a couple of joints when I go out at the weekend is great. It makes me laugh and think some wonderful things, so......to quote Frank Zappa "and ultimately who gives a f***k anyway" :lol:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I'd like to know if anyone has smoked marijuana consistently for over 20 years and what noticable effects it's had on them, physically and mentally over time.

The reason I'm asking is because I work for a psychiatrist and we get lots of patients suffering from psychosis, paranoia, schizophrenia, etc, all of whom smoke cannabis on a regular basis. So I know it isn't the 'mild' drug that it's portrayed to be.

My problem with cannabis, which I've never tried, or any other illicit drug come to that, is the fact that it's produced 'off the radar', it's distributed 'off the radar' and the money changes hands for it 'off the radar' - and we have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER, where it's been, what's been added to it or equally importantly, what kind of people we're dealing with etc.

I'm not saying that the pharmaceutical industries or their drugs are perfect and without side effects, because I know very well they're not. But what I'm saying is that before I smoke, eat, drink anything, I like to look at the ingredients list and know exactly what kind of **** I'm putting into my body. And I know if or when I suffer side effects I can report that drug to the pharma industry to be modified or shelved.

The other problem I have with cannabis is that it appeals to vulnerable people who are usually dealing with some kind of pain in their life, be it physical or psychological and the dealer doesn't give a jot about that, what the dealer is after is ... money. So it's in their best interest to keep pushing it to vulnerable people without any control whatsoever.

DashingDave

...when I lived in Australia the local Bobbies used to harvest the crops up in them thar hills at the same time every year, make giant bonfires out of it and then set it alight. The locals knowing this used to stand down wind of course.
Way round the munchies is to bake a cake with it, sugar free of course. Been doing this for decades now and look how I turned out.
:crazy: :mrgreen: :crazy:

Hussein123

I have also heard that weed is helpful to blood sugar. It regulates it however for it to regulate it constantly you would need to be high all the time. The downside is possibly addiction or hindrance to everyday life. If countries such as America they are experimenting with weed on diabetes but personally I think they won't give the go ahead as this will encourage weed to be used with other people (non diabetics). If you want to see If this theory works then I suggest try it yourself and note down what happens to your blood sugar.

MonoJono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It helps gastroparesis a bit and neuropathy a bit of you get stabbing pains.
Helps with eating dislrders especially if youd rather starve than eat as a result of gastroparesis. Does anybody here have any proof that it hlps retinopathy? This interests me a great deal.
As it raises blood pressure and makes the blood vessels in your eyes bulge. I was wondering how it reduces pressue in the eye.

Vaporise. Dont smoke!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There was a story in the newspapers here in Ireland during the week where 2 young mothers had smoked half a joint and ended up in critical condition in hospital because it had been cut with a synthetic drug. There are many valid reasons for not legalising it but on the other side of the coin incidents such as this one wouldn't happen if marijuana were legal and regulated

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Thundercat said:
There was a story in the newspapers here in Ireland during the week where 2 young mothers had smoked half a joint and ended up in critical condition in hospital because it had been cut with a synthetic drug. There are many valid reasons for not legalising it but on the other side of the coin incidents such as this one wouldn't happen if marijuana were legal and regulated

Yup! I think I'd prefer it legalised and regulated.

pauly2323

i was never sure about taking weed i have found that losing weight is very effective last time only once it made me a madman i dont want to put the weight back on i have lost 7 stone in 2 yrs the best thing i would say been type 2 is pure orange juice i dont or wont let this ruin my life :D

Eck

I smoked it for years but I haven't smoked it for 25 years.When you are a smoker you won't hear anything bad about it. My opinion is that there is some argument for pain relief but there are far more effective methods of pain relief as far as I have picked up,people are pushing this sort of thing for legalisation and getting it on prescription. If that happened, doctors surgeries would be full of people looking for the drug for free as a pain killer. I'm not buying it - nonsense created by people with an agenda other than medical benefit.

markfpurdue

Dislikes
The work 'Diet'
I was on a trial for cannabis based medication, from the NHS, for degenerative spinal disease. All it did was make me go to sleep. No pain control and if I be honest, screwed my sleep pattern.
I too did some research..... smoked it. All it did was again knock me out; gave me the munchies; made me a bit... no, a lot paranoid; and after a while found myself getting slightly addicted. Now so many so called experts say that addiction does not go with smoking it, I found a very different answer.

LittleWolf

I will reiterate

1) Strains

Strains high in THC are developed/bred primarily because of competition between dealers. Irresponsible or uneducated users routinely use strains that are much much higher in tetrahydrocannabinol than what their grandparents smoked. It is these high THC strains (sativa) that are attributed to mental health issues, recreational use/dependency and don't have any medical benefit.

I smoke for both recreation and medical reasons but had to be honest with myself and stop smoking strains that are fun but don't help me much

Cannabis Indica strains have better therapeutic benefit and actually have ANTI psychotic properties

Unfortunately most people don't know what they are smoking due to a lack of education and regulation

Also cannabis' legal status glamorises it's use amongst young people who generally like to do stupid things in excess anyway. I'm 20 and have always been disgusted in my teenage years tip now by my peers who feel they must smoke until they pass out or drink until they vomit all over themselves and wake up half naked dangling over a stranger's balcony...

2) Purity

It is frightening what dealers will do to make a buck, which is why I trek an hour to the dealer I know I can trust and either grows his own or sources from UK breeders. He knows his stains and knows I do too, so wont mess me around and will even tell me to wait and keep my money until the right strain comes along if he hasn't got what works for me

Unfortunately most people don't have that kind of knowledge and again this is an issue that would be resolved with legalization and regulation

Cutting any drug with dangerous substances (personally I am against other illegal drugs, alcohol and pharmaceutical abuse) is a heinous practise. It's sick, but it happens.

If people were allowed to have their own. 1 or 2 plant back yard grows this would also be less of an issue. If I am not 100%what I am smoking/eating, I won't take it.

3) Responsible use

Over indulgence in anything is bad for you

But honestly, occasional to moderate use of cannabis hasn't a fraction of the health risks attributed to alcohol and pharmaceuticals.

The benefits outweigh the risks to those in the know.

You guys have no idea how dangerous the pills you pop without a second thought are. The last time I was prescribed codeine (endometriosis pain plus a dental abscess, dentist 'forgot' to refer me for root canal...) I had INTERNAL BLEEDING

Since stopping painkillers and sleeping pills I've been able to give up cigarettes, no longer depressed, anorexic and I DON'T hallucinate like I did during my years of depression.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view ... eID=000145

Watch this documentary, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfxaJQVxSA4&sns=em

This plant may just be a bit of fun for some and it's media image isn't great but there is real hard evidence proving a PLETHORA of medical benefits (not just lain relief that 'justifies' opiate based painkillers, which I do not use) It isn't just about druggies abusing the existing medical marijuana system in the states to get high. I'm not saying there are NO risks associated with its use. Smoking anything isn't great for you (which is why I like to eat it to help me sleep and for pain) But this is a genuine plea to make it an available option for those who are suffering. Honestly, it is more for political and economic reasons that it is still regarded as a dirty, illicit substance.

Come on, even the parts of the plant that are not psychoactive are useful for health and beauty (hemp oil is great for skin/hair etc) and remember this plant use FTP dominate the textile industry until synthetic fibers took over.

I don't know what else to say on this topic

Cannabis itself is NOT bad especially when compared to things the government and culture says are ok

The problem is abuse (of any substance), those with an addictive personality and not being entirely sure what it is they are putting into their bodies. I mean food can clearly be just as much or more of a risk factor (especially for diabetics, don't you think?)

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason it gives you the munchies is because it lowers you blood sugar. I've been using cannabis for 15 years and I have a medical recommendation from my doctor. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory and it boosts melatonin 5,000% so a tremendous immune system booster. Probably why I never get a cold or flue. Also lowers your blood pressure, a lot. I have metabolic syndrome but my blood pressure is 120/70. The doctors are blown away with that. I just did a heart stress test, the doctors were blown away because I got up to level 4 on the treadmill then they took me accross the hall and my bp was 122/74. We have electronic hash oil vaporizers now. No smoke and legal to use anywhere.