Is marijuana good for diabetes?

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Is that directed at me, Mr. Happy?

Mart

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
martwolves said:
I sense this discussion is coming to a close. There is no need to take things as a person affront. Everyone is unique, not everyone will agree. C'est la vie.

Hi All .

As in any discussion/debate opinions will differ and vary .
Not all persons see things in the same shade, tone, light etc.

It is a grey subject anyways, given it is legal/illegal in various parts of the world .
What is acceptable in one country - isnt in another .

Please debate/discuss with these pointers in mind .

Thanks Anna .

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
LittleWolf said:
Oh I see, Martwolves (love the username btw)

The problem is not so much with using cannabis it's the consequences of your employer finding out...

Personally I find it easier to focus on my coursework if I'm a little high (less incline to get up and procrastinate) but of course of you are doing a job where the utmost precision is required, you are operating heavy machinery etc you wouldn't go get blazed before hand the same way you wouldnt come into work drunk or having taken certain medications.

I see that your point wasn't a personal attack on the character or ability of those who use cannabis but a product of your situation

My only real problem is people completely ignoring the plethora of health benefits and relatively low risk compared to many pharmaceuticals (and booze), assuming we are all lazy good-for-nothings. I realize now this isn't what you were getting at.

I still believe the world would be a better place if we all chilled out and had a joint (lol of course when there aren't important matters at hand!)

Amsterdam was lovely. Not a raving drinker brawl in sight.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hi I have commented before on a Cannabis thread. Seen first hand what it does, and I do know what I am saying. I can't stand the stuff, the smell, how it affects people's thinking, how they 'cope' with things, because I went out with a lazy ( a high percentage of the time) good for nothing ( but he was a good dad to our DD) as so adequately put by little wolf. He liked many a drink as well.A very intelligent man, with 7 o levels and did nothing with them.

We were thinking about going to Amsterdam, as I have always wanted to see the Netherlands, with the Anne Frank museum, cycling etc, but HE took so long filling out the passport form, not sending it in until it was too late, there are too many stories, he was going to cut down, going to stop, I heard it so many times, but the last sentence says it all. I eventually gave in and gave up.

Someone said no one died of cannabis, maybe not on it's own, I don't know, but my mum had heart failure and on her death certificate it said, Pneumonia was the cause of death.

As for the man I spoke of above, he died a year ago leaving our then 11 year old DD heartbroken.

If I was offered a million pounds to partake, I still would touch it with a barge pole. that is how I honestly feel about it.

RRB

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Thanks for clarifying, Mister!

LittleWolf

Hey Martwolves, I used to smoke 20 cigarettes a day and stopped after starting cannabis. Even if I don't smoke weed I no longer have cravings for a cigarette. In fact I now have an aversion to them...

Maybe cannabis isn't good for diabetes in particular (though it does lower blood pressure, I find it helps when things get blurry) but is useful for a bunch of other things. Up to you if you use it or not and it affects people in different ways.

Btw, psychosis is triggered (rarely) in those with a predisposition to it after excessively smoking strains with artificially high levels of THC. Those are sativas which are NOT recommended for medical use. Indicas are used for relaxation/pain relief and those contain higher levels of CBD and CBN, which are being studied for potential pharmaceutical use because of their ANTI psychotic effects. Do you know how many FDA approved drugs cause psychosis and suicidal thoughts? @_@ Do you know how many laboratory produced anti psychotic drugs have terrible physical side effects?

Just saying' x

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
Unkind people, bad odor, diabetes mellitus (hehe), injecting insulin, douche bags
I'm glad a lot of people find this thread interesting. And btw, thank y'all for the replies, whether you're for or against. So many things to consider. Anyway, I did a little research and here's the latest article I found regarding diabetes and marijuana. You guys might wanna read this: http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valley ... diabet.php

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
@alex, it certainly got some debate going which is good. Sometimes got a little heated but that's ok too, just shows people are passionate about the subject. I guess this would be an area where funded scientific study would be a good idea. Basing argument on internet sites alone is pointless, there are too many misleading studies both for and against. Seek and ye shall find......

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
Unkind people, bad odor, diabetes mellitus (hehe), injecting insulin, douche bags
mo1905 said:
@alex, it certainly got some debate going which is good. Sometimes got a little heated but that's ok too, just shows people are passionate about the subject. I guess this would be an area where funded scientific study would be a good idea. Basing argument on internet sites alone is pointless, there are too many misleading studies both for and against. Seek and ye shall find......

I agree with you, mo1905. I guess this won't end soon. Keep 'em coming though. I'm enjoying reading the replies. :D

col79

Like it was mentioned before it is about the person, I have seen a lot of bad things growing up and most of them things were due to the influence of class a drugs and alcohol. I have lost family members and friends due to Alcohol but never seen any problems with people who like a smoke. My dad use to say to me and my brothers "come home smelling of ale and your grounded as i no you been causing trouble, come back with red eyes i know you have been sat in a mates playing games" ...

And that was true if we were drunk we would fight and cause trouble if we were stoned we simply would not :)

mike32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm type 1 diabetic, have been for 26 years and its pretty well controlled now after having my first real scare due to smoking, both marijuana and cigarettes. Smoking causes pressure in the blood vessels at the back of the eye to burst and rupture causing bleeding which leads to macular degeneration and loss of central vision. I've had to have alot of laser surgery on both eyes and luckily i still have a good eye (My left eye) however, my right eye is ****** basically and this is all because of smoking, i gave up completely in febuary 2012 and havn't smoked anything since. Dr's kept telling me i had to stop the smoking or this would happen but i didn't listen and "hey guess what" it happened My right eye hopefully won't get any worse as long as i maintain tight control of sugar levels but it won't get any better either but i certainly won't be touching any joint or cigarette again thats for sure! Oh and laser treatment is horrible, anyone who's had it will know that it feels like someone is prodding the back of your eye with a pen!

dawnflower1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
my illness
I HAVE SMOKED FOR BOUT 10 YEARS BUT HAVE MANY BACK PROBLEMS SUCH AS OSTEO-ARTHRITIES AND OSTEO-PEROSIS 2 SLIPPED DISC AND 2 CURVITURES AND LOWER 2 HAVE NO GEL INBETWEEN SO WHEN I WALK ITS BONE ON BONE SO YES YES IT HELPS WITH MY BACK BUT DONT KNOW IF IT HELPS DIABETIES

LittleWolf

People who fight after drinking ale because they are under the influence of ethanol, not that they CHOOSE to behave like that. The booze makes them act like that; just because it's legal doesn't mean that it should be. How many drugs are reclassified over the decades? Alcohol was once illegal remember.. But for a whole bunch of better reasons than weed. The entire united kingdom has a major drinking problem but binge drinking or drinking daily is considered acceptable and normal because of culture. Look at any English high street with a pub, bar or club after 7 pm and you can see the damage.

There are a million laws out there that make no logical or ethical sense... And this isn't a matter or wanting to be special, an anarchist or simply being contrary. It is stupid how acceptable alcohol is because people don't see it in the context of being assessed for its potential to harm alongside illegal drugs.

pat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
some very good points there wolf, i no and see the carnage drinking can bring binging or just abusing it i dont thank alcohol would be legalised if it was found today, as it must cost millions for the nhs on the weekends alone :crazy: just look at manchester royal infirmary what an absolute disgrace for drunken fights any night/day of the week, but then drinks legal so we shouldnt moan

Mr Happy

I haven't said that people don't fight when drunk but they don't HAVE to. The post I replied to stated the father would rather him take drugs than drink and fight. How about not take drugs, not fight and maybe partake in a drink in a sociable manner. And I'm sure you'll find the majority of those that fight when drunk don't need an excuse, usually the scrotes of society anyway!

Reclassification is by the by, its illegal, don't do it!

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
I agree with littlewolf to some extent, but there are too sides to every story. Alcohol in moderation can help people to unwind and relax, as can marijuana if not taken in excess. Conversely too much alcohol causes people to drop their guard and become (a) violent and (b) susceptible to being a victim or out of control. Same applies to marijuana users, sure in moderation it can mellow and chill people out, but can also make people overfriendly, overbearing and agress if people disagree with their out of kilter sometimes crazy loony rationale. I hate it getting the bus from wolverhampton city station to my suburban area outside of town. On the inner city ride the bus passes through one of, if not the worst part of town and certainly a dumping ground for the more socially diverse ethnic groups. I hate when pi55 heads come on stinking of booze, throwing up and acting threatening and also when a load of young people of a particular race or social position, I'm sorry to categorise, but it's mainly them, are overly familiar and swearing, when I'm knackered telling me to. Chillax. Who the hell says that anyway. Then get agressive because I haven't spent all day getting wasted and can still think straight and be reasonable to some extent. They won't leave you alone and reek of pot, poverty and desperation (swap pot for booze for alcohol abusers) and wonder why you're fed up with being mithered and just want a normal uneventful, safe journey home. I walked to the next stop to get away from a gang of the socially inept talking nonsense and giggling.

I can see both sides have pro's and cons and speak from my own daily experiences as I chose not to drive and gave my car to my daughter on her 17th birthday.
I'm not forthright or pious and each their own way of life.

I will no doubt be cast as some pariah, a figure of hatred causing disbelief from some, but I posted my own person reasons for not choosing to take marijuana and have stopped smoking almost 4 days ago and haven't had alcohol at all in 3 and hope this will be start of the rest of my life.

This debate COULD go on forever around and around in circles.

My reasons stated almost to the point that if continue I will be repeating myself, as others have done.

This has been an interesting debate and very insightful and thought-provoking, but this is my last say on this particular topic, everything else I've said earlier in the thread and I'd like to put as much effort into helping someone if I can before it gets into a childish argument.

I wish you all the very best going forwards.

All of you.

Mart.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
martwolves said:
I agree with littlewolf to some extent, but there are too sides to every story. Alcohol in moderation can help people to unwind and relax, as can marijuana if not taken in excess. Conversely too much alcohol causes people to drop their guard and become (a) violent and (b) susceptible to being a victim or out of control. Same applies to marijuana users, sure in moderation it can mellow and chill people out, but can also make people overfriendly, overbearing and agress if people disagree with their out of kilter sometimes crazy loony rationale. I hate it getting the bus from wolverhampton city station to my suburban area outside of town. On the inner city ride the bus passes through one of, if not the worst part of town and certainly a dumping ground for the more socially diverse ethnic groups. I hate when pi55 heads come on stinking of booze, throwing up and acting threatening and also when a load of young people of a particular race or social position, I'm sorry to categorise, but it's mainly them, are overly familiar and swearing, when I'm knackered telling me to. Chillax. Who the hell says that anyway. Then get agressive because I haven't spent all day getting wasted and can still think straight and be reasonable to some extent. They won't leave you alone and reek of pot, poverty and desperation (swap pot for booze for alcohol abusers) and wonder why you're fed up with being mithered and just want a normal uneventful, safe journey home. I walked to the next stop to get away from a gang of the socially inept talking nonsense and giggling.

I can see both sides have pro's and cons and speak from my own daily experiences as I chose not to drive and gave my car to my daughter on her 17th birthday.
I'm not forthright or pious and each their own way of life.

I will no doubt be cast as some pariah, a figure of hatred causing disbelief from some, but I posted my own person reasons for not choosing to take marijuana and have stopped smoking almost 4 days ago and haven't had alcohol at all in 3 and hope this will be start of the rest of my life.

This debate COULD go on forever around and around in circles.

My reasons stated almost to the point that if continue I will be repeating myself, as others have done.

This has been an interesting debate and very insightful and thought-provoking, but this is my last say on this particular topic, everything else I've said earlier in the thread and I'd like to put as much effort into helping someone if I can before it gets into a childish argument.

I wish you all the very best going forwards.

All of you.

Mart.

Extremely well put and some very good points. I have seen it all too often in the past( as I mentioned previously) and I don't go in for too many statistics, because it's living and what we see, feel and hear that is what is most important to me, because I've come across the whacky baccie and the alcohol, its not pleasant to witness and also I like to be in control. When I saw the Whisky thread, well I gave that a wide berth.

RRB ps I lived in Wolverhamptom when I was a young child, back in the early 60's.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
LW - I admire your tenacity. Let those who use illegal drugs take them and those who have decided they don't want to take an illegal drug not take. Please, you're like those evangelists in town now, forcing their opininions down peoples throats. I like you, personally. Don't ruin everything. I think everything that can be said on this thread has been already. Good luck girl. Go and spark up and be mellow ;) I don't begrudge you that ONE BIT! X

MW