I'm such an idiot

DylansDad

Dislikes
diabetes
I'm so cross with myself - I can't believe I was so stupid

I took the advice of my practice nurse / PCT and stopped self testing

I was ambling along quite nicely with my morning tests in the mid 6.x was on a 'maintenance' dose of 2 x metformin (plus the recently introduced statins, - despite not knowingly having had a cholesterol test)

so I stopped testing - for about 6 months

Now I'm due a review / fasting test and my recent morning readings have been 7.4, 7.4, 7.4, 8.9, 7.4 . I took my eye off the ball and disconnected from managing my condition.

These readings are as a result of me trying to get back in the game and as a result I have upped my dose back to 3 x daily - heaven only knows what my hba1c average is going to be :thumbdown:

To be honest, I'm not certain I want to find out

if anyone needs me, I'll be under a rock

kellibabi

Come out from under that rock!

Your readings between 7-8 aren't too bad in the grand scheme of things.
I know a T2 who bounces all over the place from 6's to 10/11/12's.

At least now you know & can get a grip on it again.

Have a clean slate & start again :thumbup:

LittleWolf

You're not an idiot, THEY are. If I didn't start testing like a hypochondriac I would have gone under the radar completely. I think it's ludicrous to tell a diabetic to stop testing. In fact EVERYONE should keep tabs on it or at least check here and there.

Don't beat yourself up, hun. Come out from under tat rock and focus on getting your numbers back down, then go back to tell your nurse the consequences of both their advice and your subsequent actions.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As Kellibabi, start again with a clean slate. I took the same advice as you were given ie there's no need to test, and now regret following it. I woke up to readings in the teens and after meals in the 20's around 6 months ago. My BS is now back down thanks to a nurse, new meds, and restarting meter tests to identify what the problem foods are (this bit still on going).

DylansDad

Dislikes
diabetes
Hi - thanks for the +ve replies

I have no idea what my readings have been, so could well have been in the teens / twenties - that's why I'm dreading my hba1c test

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Regular testing has no effect on bg levels. It is what you eat that affects your bg, so stopping testing is not the culprit but rather that you have not been keeping an eye on the carbs in your diet since stopping the testing.

I rarely test nowadays but only because I know exactly what I can and cant eat to keep my bg levels in check if I increased my carbs significantly by snacking or something then I know my bg levels will rise.

If you need to test regularly in order to regulate your carb consumption do so, but only test before and 2 hours after eating, random testing is just a waste of test strips and tells you nothing. Find your limits and then you shouldn't need to test as regularly.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks DylansDad :)

You have given the wake up call that is very helpful for many.

When you don't test, somehow that sneaky temptation of goodies etc; get past our control.

At least you are a honest idiot that is intelligent :thumbup:

Roy,

Ladybirdy75

DylansDad

You're not an idiot, you just innocently acted on the misinformed advice of that Practise Nurse.

Look, first of all no matter what this HbA1c comes up as it is only ONE result out of the many you will have over the coming years. You have learned that if you don't test as you felt comfortable doing so, it goes a little pear shaped. So, don't stress about it (stress my friend is not kind on blood sugars, makes them rise) or what might be thrown at you on your next appointment. Just know that you can now carry on as you were testing wise and you'll be in control again.

Some Practise nurses can be so flippant with their statements and make sweeping statements that can leave you devestated. My favourites said to me this year are:-

"Lets see if we can get you to age 55"
(Came out of nowhere that one!)

and

"wow, you must feel like a ticking timebomb what with your kidneys and eyes"
(Also came out of nowhere and the thought hadn't even entered my mind........thanks).

But my all time fave is

"What's insulin?"
(I kid you not)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sid Bonkers said:
Regular testing has no effect on bg levels. It is what you eat that affects your bg, so stopping testing is not the culprit but rather that you have not been keeping an eye on the carbs in your diet since stopping the testing.

I rarely test nowadays but only because I know exactly what I can and cant eat to keep my bg levels in check if I increased my carbs significantly by snacking or something then I know my bg levels will rise.

If you need to test regularly in order to regulate your carb consumption do so, but only test before and 2 hours after eating, random testing is just a waste of test strips and tells you nothing. Find your limits and then you shouldn't need to test as regularly.

Sid I disagree to some extent, especially over the first few years.
I'm pleased I decided to get a meter and self test when I was diagnosed as a type 2......about 20 months down the line my levels starting rising despite me eating less and less carbs. The subsequent referral to the Consultant with an HbA1c of about 86 and keytones of 4+ led to a GAD test and a re-diagnosis as a Type 1. If I had gone down the no test line I would have been well poorly by the time my annual appointment was due.
Regards
Angie

Finzi

And here's one way of looking at it - if your HbA1C is very high, think what a big drop you'll be able to achieve for next time if you do all the right things, and how satisfying that will be :)