Confused - again!

Sunshine_Kisses

Andy12345 said:
I don't drink but....how cool is that! That wine is good for your bg, it's kinda like girls wearing less in the summer it's a win win situation ( unless I crash the van of course ) lol wow talk about digressing, sorry

Lol!! I'm not sure how 'healthy' it is, and I kinda feel like I'm tricking my readings if I do it that way - but it *definitely* works for me, which as you say, is fab!

The only downside is that if I 'go mad' and have two glasses, I'm really quite drunk and get a hangover the next day - cos there's no carbs in my system to mop up any of the alcohol!! But even so, I still get great morning blood sugar readings! :-D

hornplayer

LOL - yes, I knew about that one. :) I have a friend who's wife is T1. He says that when she drinks beer her BG goes up, so she has a shot of vodka to bring it down again. I don't drink. - not for any particular reason, I'm not a party animal (anymore! ;) ) and I tend to volunteer to drive, so it isn't an issue. In the days when I lived in London and spent half my time on tour, it was a different story! Vodka and Champagne, half and half! I've probably been diabetic all along but the alcohol kept me from noticing! LOL ;)

Oh, and 7.9 this morning, lowest fasting reading ever!! - 85g fat free Greek yogurt, 30g hazelnuts, cinnamon and sweetener. Yumm.

Serious question now.

At the moment I'm trying to eat at roughly the same times every day. About 5-6hrs between meals seems to work for me. Tomorrow I'm going to be leaving the house at about 4.15am. - I have a pupil competing at the Urdd Eisteddfod ( welsh youth arts/culture/language festival - for those who can't pronounce it ;) :p ) I don't normally have breakfast until about 7.30/8am. Should I eat earlier? - if I don't, will my liver react to the increased morning activity and "dump" if I don't? Also, should I take my Metformin early or try and keep that at the usual time. - I have to be up so early, I may well not bother to go to bed!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I would try to eat at normal time and take the metformin with food

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Remember if you are going to be walking about and using energy you will be burning carbs so take and energy bar or something with you and lots of fluids - you need to stay in control once you are in control - good luck

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Excellent well done

Jools5

Yeah, it does take a few months to settle down those am readings. Also, especially if your body is unused to exercising regularly, you will get high BGLs immediately after, to do with the level of stress hormones the body produces with exercise. Longer & slower is possibly more gentle to start with. Over time it should settle down!! I'm currently training for a week's bike tour, riding 80-100 mins, 5-6 times per week. That's the most intensely I've ever exercised, but BGL's love it!

Cheers & good luck, Julia

Dx T2, July 2000, on metformin 1g twice a day, latest HbA1c 5.4.
M

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is a really interesting thread for, and is helping me understand some of the aspects of fasting bloods, mine are very high, think I will try the natural yogurt and seeds tonight at around 21.00 and see if this helps, it seems to be very much a case of trial and error to see what suits each individual, thanks for the posts.

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Or two or three Carrs Melts as you go to bed is what I am doing at the moment a bit more carb than the yogurt and nuts and consistently 5.7 by the morning.

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

hornplayer

Mch,

I'm down to 6.4 (fasting) today. I don't know if its making any difference but this is exactly what I eat before bed.

25g crushed hazelnuts or almonds
Half a small pot of fat free Greek yogurt( I'd like it to be the full fat one but my dad loves that so there's never any left :) )
1 crushed sweetener
Some cinnamon.

I eat it at about 10-10.30.

Different things will probably work for you. I have found that if I only have half the amount of nuts my BG is higher in the morning, so this is a balance that seems to be working for me.

Good luck!

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
The originals they are like the cheese ones yes but not the water biscuits although they would probably work too or for that matter a couple of plain digestive biscuits whatever you have really but for me giving my body something to feed off through the night does moderate the morning Pre food reading

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

hornplayer

I think you're right about that.

Biscuits wouldn't work for me, unfortunately, because of the gluten content, but having calories and carbs at night is definitely making a difference.

Paulwbm

Hi. This is a great thread. Very interesting information about the waking level of BG and how to bring it down. My average pre-breakfast is 7.3. I'm a new type 2 diagnosed only 4-5 weeks ago, with a HBA1C of 7.4. No meds, diet and exercise only. Would you be able to describe a typical low carb day of eating please. I'm trying to establish a routine. Currently, I've just cut eating down and tried to eat vegetables and salads, with as little fat as possible. Breakfast is porridge and probably not ideal. My carbs level is not low at present due to the oats and a couple of slices of rye bread with lunch and rye wafers at tea. Help needed please!

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I think we are all different but for me a typical working day is:

Breakfast - 50g of dry shredded wheat, glass of water and a cup of tea with milk;

Lunch - 300g of tesco tomato and basil soup, 200g of tesco melon slices; a natural yogurt and 20g of seeds in the yogurt;

Dinner - a small bowl of salad of lettuce, radish, spring onions, olives, 3 bean salad all mixed up with a cold breast of chicken followed by a further natural yogurt and nuts;

Snack before bed - 4 Carrs melts;

No other snacks during the day but plenty of water and cups of tea

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Sunshine_Kisses

We are all very different... I couldn't have what Neil eats, nor porridge as both would make my blood sugars go high... Today I had:
Breakfast:
'Nut porridge' (my own mix of nuts, seeds, ground flax, cocoa and coconut chips with almond milk)

Lunch:
Big salad with generous amounts of olive oil and with protein smoothie

Dinner:
Smoked salmon with another big mixed salad

Then before I go to bed I'll have a couple of celery sticks with Almond nut butter... This keeps me within 50g carbs a day :)