Morning BG readings

LouiseW

I'm sure this must be in a thread elsewhere ... I remember reading something about it but can't find specifics.

I've been testing quite regularly for a few weeks now and eating low carb. My BG levels are excellent during the day - yesterday was 3.7 before dinner, 4.7 two hours after eating and 3.9 before going to bed. But my fasting BG in the morning remains above 6. This morning at 8:30 it was 6.6 although I last ate at about 8 last night.

Any insight on why this is occurring and how i can bring the morning reading lower?

I am not taking any meds at this point and would like to avoid if possible.

Defren

Dawn Phenomenon at it's worst. The liver will dump glucose into your blood in anticipation of you getting up and needing energy. This is called DP. There is very little you can do about it. I found as my general BG figures went down, so did DP. Now I don't get FBG above 5, but it's taken time to get to that, and also controlling all my other BG figures. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as it's about the only figure that we can't really control. I don't take a FBG any more, or more truthfully it's rare I take it, as it is not indicative of my other figures. That said, on the odd occasion I do take it, as I say it's 5 or under.

Just keep low carbing, and working on all of your other figures, and your FBG may well come down in line with your others.

Good luck - Jo

LouiseW

Thanks Jo.

I had forgotten the term "Dawn Phenomenon" but now looked it up and have read a bit more about it.

It seems as though apple cider vinegar taken at bedtime may have a positive (actually negative) effect on BG so I'll start doing that again. I was using it for a few days but fell off of it. Now that I can see where it can benefit, I'll try it again.

Thanks again!

LouiseW

This morning my BG reading was 3.9! It was 5.7 before sleeping which is higher than it has been for awhile .. it was down in the 3s before sleeping for a few days.

Yesterday, I veered off plan a bit and had sweet potato fries with dinner around 8:30 at night and later in the evening, had a small glass of red wine. Then before bed, I took 2T of ACV with water. I understand red wine has some of the same effects as the ACV so I'm not sure which one had the effect. I also wonder if there wasn't enough time between the wine and the morning reading to truly be a fasting number - probably only about 8-9 hours from when I finished the wine to when I tested.

I hope that once I figure out what triggers and affects the BG, I won't be this obsessed. I suspect my husband will be happy when I'm not so obsessed about it either although he's on metformin and is still getting high readings in the morning. I will talk to him about ACV and see if that's something he would consider. :)

Defren

LouiseW said:
This morning my BG reading was 3.9! It was 5.7 before sleeping which is higher than it has been for awhile .. it was down in the 3s before sleeping for a few days.

Yesterday, I veered off plan a bit and had sweet potato fries with dinner around 8:30 at night and later in the evening, had a small glass of red wine. Then before bed, I took 2T of ACV with water. I understand red wine has some of the same effects as the ACV so I'm not sure which one had the effect. I also wonder if there wasn't enough time between the wine and the morning reading to truly be a fasting number - probably only about 8-9 hours from when I finished the wine to when I tested.

I hope that once I figure out what triggers and affects the BG, I won't be this obsessed. I suspect my husband will be happy when I'm not so obsessed about it either although he's on metformin and is still getting high readings in the morning. I will talk to him about ACV and see if that's something he would consider. :)

I'm the kind of bod who will try (almost) anything once. When it comes to my diabetes, I am fortunate and have a lovely supportive GP. Even with a great Doctor, I am still mainly expected to get on with it, so I do. I have to say that my GP rolls his eyes at some of my idea's but never poo-poo's them out of hand. He does listen to me, so I always know I have his support. So with him keeping an eye on me, even from a distance, I feel safe trying all kinds of different things. For me, I feel if I don't try then I could miss something that is a real boost to me staying healthy. I don't recommend others follow my lead, it's possible at some point I may walk up a blind ally, but for now, if I see or read something that 'might' help, hell yes, I'll give it a go. :lol:

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Folks,
Just a note of warning, remember that readings below 4 means hypo. Also going to bed with readings around 5 seems low. Check these numbers with your DSNs.

kmr2324

Hi,

Have you been classed as prediabetic or are you just trying be careful? I am very likely to be diabetic in the future given family history (both parents are T2) and decided to embark on a low carb diet following an Hba1c reading of 5.9 two months ago. So far lost about 4 kgs and readings have improved but fitting sugars are still high at around 5.8 to 6. I take no medicine and hoping to get my Hba1c down to 5.5 with diet and exercise.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

tinker76

The highest bg i had was 15.5 on a morning very high indeed when i hadnt ate for 12hrs before and at the time couldnt sleep properly for a few weeks and stressed out just wondering if that affected my bg im type 2 but with high readings at times worried ive been misdiagnoised and im type 1 well back to my docs i go.

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat deserts :)
@tinker76
Don't panic I'm type 2 and when diagnosed I was 21.6...the nurses laughed...cruel :)
My morning readings are quite typically 8-9 due the Dawn bloody thing, but I still maintain an average of the low sevens so my doc is reasonably happy. Agree with caution the other writer about too low readings as when I was in the 4's I was getting periods of instability which I think was hypo's. Meds were stepped back to compensate. I'm told I should read between 5-8 but aiming at low 7's as a norm. Height, weight all play part of the formula though so not easy. When my weight creeps up so do my readings and visa versa.
Regards
Jeremy

LittleWolf

Not officially diagnosed yet but my readings are typically 6-7 with a few in the sevens, one instance of 9.4 and one freak 19.1 after drinking a little cider the previous night... Mostly 6-7 at present

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
So how does alcohol effect readings?

I am alcohol dependant ( sounds a bit better than an alcoholic eh)

Anyway morning readings are always about 7.0.

I don't drink during the day,never felt the need but as soon as I make a dinner ( which I do every night at about 6.00) It can be straightaway or like tonight it was 10.00 and I poured my self a vodka and slimline tonic.

I am on my 3rd now and it's 12.40. I shall take my morning readings with interest.

I used to drink Rose wine... But I have 3 bottles in the kitchen which will not get drunk but I bought 2 bottles of dry white wine yesterday which I intend to water down half and half with fizzy water.

But I have finished my bottle of vodka now so that's it. No more vodka.

How does alcohol effect readings?

Does it make any difference what you drink the night before when you take your waking fasting readings?

A

Anonymous

zolabud said:
So how does alcohol effect readings?

I am alcohol dependant ( sounds a bit better than an alcoholic eh)

Anyway morning readings are always about 7.0.

I don't drink during the day,never felt the need but as soon as I make a dinner ( which I do every night at about 6.00) It can be straightaway or like tonight it was 10.00 and I poured my self a vodka and slimline tonic.

I am on my 3rd now and it's 12.40. I shall take my morning readings with interest.

I used to drink Rose wine... But I have 3 bottles in the kitchen which will not get drunk but I bought 2 bottles of dry white wine yesterday which I intend to water down half and half with fizzy water.

But I have finished my bottle of vodka now so that's it. No more vodka.

How does alcohol effect readings?

Does it make any difference what you drink the night before when you take your waking fasting readings?

Hi, I haven't found that alcohol has affected my readings (from 2-3 bottles wine to zero), although my next HbA1C in a few days may tell a different story. It did positively affect my weight though. What the lack of alcohol has done is stop me from waking up during the night, night sweats, and I sleep like a top. I have seen various articles about the health benefits of a good night's sleep, including one at least on diabetes, but this is the usual 'research' stuff that we are bombarded with every day.

LittleWolf

WHAAAAT!!! I won't stop reposting this same story until the drinkers get it- I used to think maybe a bit of alcohol will help keep BG low over the next few days. Even started a thread on it. I've always been able to handle my drink despite drinking rarely. but it will start out looking beneficial and one day if you are not careful you will crash out. 'Lo' the night before, woke up with rebound 19mmol. And I'm not even officially diabetic may I remind you. I'm not outright hyperglycaemic every moment of the day so do not present as someone with an overt intolerance to glucose or someone who should be affected majorly by booze. Think of what It could do to you PROPER diabetics. :( I am worried sick about my T1 partner who falls asleep drunk (likely on a low) and wakes up sky high too.

Anyways had another 7, 2 days ago which higher than my average 6s and woke up at 9am at 8.1mmol. It's 2:20 still haven't eaten anything and it's 6.6... Not sure what to do. When I ignore something a little higher pre meal my BG tends to go nutso post meal... Should I just wait it out until I hit 6.0?

hornplayer

Be careful of the alcohol please.

Used to work with a diabetic bass guitarist. He went home after the show on Saturday night and when he didn't come in on Monday night, one of the other guys went to look for him and found him dead. Glass still in hand. He'd fallen asleep after having a drink, slipped into a diabetic coma, and that was that.

Sadly missed. :(

A

Anonymous

LittleWolf said:
WHAAAAT!!! I won't stop reposting this same story until the drinkers get it- I used to think maybe a bit of alcohol will help keep BG low over the next few days. Even started a thread on it. I've always been able to handle my drink despite drinking rarely. but it will start out looking beneficial and one day if you are not careful you will crash out. 'Lo' the night before, woke up with rebound 19mmol. And I'm. Not even officially diabetic may I remind you. I'm not outright hyperglycaemic every moment I the day do not prevent as someone with an overt intolerance to glucose or someone who should be affected majorly by booze. Think of what It could do to you PROPER diabetics. :( I am worried sick about my T2 partner who falls asleep drunk (likely on a low) and wakes up sky high too.

Anyways had another 7, 2 days ago which higher than my average 6s and woke up at 9am at 8.1mmol. It's 2:20 still haven't eaten anything and it's 6.6... Not sure what to do. When I ignore something a little higher pre meal my BG tends to go nutso post meal... Should I just wait it out until I hit 6.0?

I don't think it's a good idea to wait until bG is 6.0. It's important to eat. If, for the time being, you go from 6-8 ish that isn't the end of the world by any means, even if you are feeling frustrated or disappointed. My fasting ranges from 4.6 to 5.9.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not intentionally a low carber although I do respond to my meter and eat smaller portions if necessary. I felt the need to announce that since what I have been doing lately seems at odds.

About a month ago I noticed some low fasting readings and realised that it could be due to the type of snack I had the evening before. Either it was chicken parts, Mattesons smoked pork sausage or corned beef or similar. All of which have no carbs.

I have done it again to see if it was a fluke. I ate normally during the day. Weetabix for breakfast. A variety of things at lunch times including chips, stew and dumplings and occasionally a stir fry.

My fasting readings for the past week started at 6.7 and have progressively come down to 5.3 for the last two days. The daily drop was 0.5 or 0.2 but always downwards.

For this test I made a rule of no carbs after 4pm but that is arbitrary and is an attempt to re-create the conditions of the accidental discovery of last month. Maybe some other time would work just as well.

What I like about it is that I get low reading to start the day and gives me more headroom at lunch time. Not saying I'm a pig you understand.

I have mentioned this elsewhere on this forum but I have not had the opportunity to mention that last night for the first time in a while I drank. I had a glass of rakia (phonetic spelling since I can't find the bottle) and two bottles of wine. I feel ill but I still measured at 5.3.

tomersn

LouiseW said:
I'm sure this must be in a thread elsewhere ... I remember reading something about it but can't find specifics.

I've been testing quite regularly for a few weeks now and eating low carb. My BG levels are excellent during the day - yesterday was 3.7 before dinner, 4.7 two hours after eating and 3.9 before going to bed. But my fasting BG in the morning remains above 6. This morning at 8:30 it was 6.6 although I last ate at about 8 last night.

Any insight on why this is occurring and how i can bring the morning reading lower?

I am not taking any meds at this point and would like to avoid if possible.
=================
==================
Morning because physiological glucagon secretion strong, so high fasting glucose, and if nocturnal hypoglycemia may rebound early high fasting glucose (HE Jie effect) according to your blood glucose, blood sugar or high number, but it has not yet reached diagnostic criteria for diabetes. First, diet control, it is recommended to try to eat low glycemic index vegetables such as cucumbers, cabbage, celery, etc. peach fruits such as grapefruit, protein choice of quality protein such as lean meat, fish, etc. best choice staple grains. Second, more exercise, over a period of time to review what blood sugar look.