Deteriorating vision

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I have been recently diagnosed T2, my BG was running in the mid 20's, its now creeping towards single figures thanks to a lot of helpful advice on this forum with diet etc, this has been done over a period of 3 weeks, as well as diet I am on 320mg of Gliclazide a day.

My eye sight has noticeably deteriorated during the last weeks, to the point where I cannot see characters on the television where as before I had no problem, my DN advised that it could be related to glucose and may improve again when my levels get down to between 6 to 8 mmol, the point that concerns me is that my vision is now worse than it was when I was in the 20 mmol level.

I visited the optician yesterday and he confirmed that I need a new prescription as my vision had deteriorated, he checked my eyes and saw no signs of damaged veins or bleeding behind the eye.

Has anyone else experienced what I am going through and if so could you let me know how the the time scale was for the recovery of vision, and whether it ever got back to where it was, if I continue with the current rate of deterioration then I am very worried as to where it will end up.

thanks in advance for any comments or thoughts

CarlG

Wait a bit on getting new glasses, unless it feels critical. I also felt I had worse vision (more near sighted than usual, and with a slight blur despite using glasses) while trying to get my levels back to normal. I thought it was due to "having" diabetes (you know, horror stories and so on), went for a check and had new glasses made. A few days later I see my GP and he said I should have waited, because during the transition to normal levels eye sight is worsened, then it stabilizes again to about what it was. Right now, I feel that my glasses have a bit too much correctiveness going, but I'm too cheap to do anything about it :)

I've past the big 40 mark, so I'm also getting worse near sight and have to take off my glasses just to read the carb levels of food I buy in the store. Annoying getting "old" :) As you, I had no sign of damage to my eyes caused by diabetes, which I've probably had for some years before diagnosis.

As for time scale, I'm sorry but I can't remember. Being back to where it was? Uncertain, because I did have my new glasses made at the time. When I had them made, I was disappointed because I felt it didn't improve remotely what I expected. But now I'm fine with them. I did tell the optician about my condition though.

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for the reply, saw my DN today and she said there is no time scale to work too, everyone is different, I will wait a while as I have to go for vario focals and they are too expensive not to get right. thanks again and glad your vision corrected

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had new glasses in Dec before I realised my BS was high, now my BS are now decent I have had to get replacement lens as my sight has improved. This has taken 4 months from the start of new meds to me noticing a change and having to have a repeat prescription.