Some statins may increase diabetes risk

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Their report said: "We found that patients treated with atorvastatin, rosuvastatin, or simvastatin were at increased risk of new onset diabetes compared with those treated with pravastatin.

Phew - I'm on Pravastatin. :)
Although I already have diabetes, thank you, and it doesn't say anything about the implications of taking different statins once you have diabetes.

Cheers

LGC

dootsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
exercise
Ive been on simvastatins for some years now, during this time I have experienced muscle spasms starting in arch of feet, then gradually up legs, buttocks.

I have found that since taking them I have become more and more immobilised and cant exercise at all let alone go shopping.

It gradually turning into a form of paralysis, so to speak that you cant move. But doctors dont listen - I know other people who have experienced the same thing. I have fallen out of cars, on stairs etc where my muscles just knot up and I am unable to move or bend, am just struck down immediately until it undoes itself and it is excruciatingly painful.!!!!!!!

What are the risks/symptoms!!!!!

rainey2910

Dislikes
Work!
Just been prescribed Atorvastatin for cholesterol level of 6.4, which has slowly crept up since I was diagnosed with type 2 back in 2010.

I'm fairly healthy, eat well, walk for at least 30 minutes every day and have lost 6 stone in weight since June 2012...so have no idea why my cholesterol should be at a level high enough to warrant medication :?

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Is high cholesterol inherited?

My cousin who was 60. Never drank or smoked in her life and was not overweight. Had a heart attack last November and sadly died. I don't know if she had high cholesterol or took statins but it sure made me think as I used to have high cholesterol but I have been taking Simvastatin for 4 years and it has gone from 7.6 to 5.2 which I am much happier with.

Diabetes runs in families. So one day you will probably get it. Luckily there is this fine forum to help.

L

Luna21

Yes it seems that it can be inherited.
My Mum has high cholesterol and is slim, fit and healthy, but doesn't have diabetes.

Unfortunately I seem to have inherited that bad cholesterol trait from her, and am currently on Simvastatin too, and my cholesterol has dropped into the 3's now, and I'm having no problems with it.

I was diagnosed with diabetes before I started taking the statins by the way, so I only posted this as a new report, which some might find interesting, but I wouldn't want anyone to get too worried about it, until more follow ups and more research is done. :)

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
been diabetic nearly 3yrs i was put on simvastatin 40mg 1 x night as cholestrol was 8.1 & dn wants it down to 4.
i was put on simvastatin 3months ago so could i go from type 2 to type 1 could it make it worse or not alter it at all