Bananas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
gezzathorpe said:
I've just bought a bunch of LIDL 'FUN SIZE BANANAS'. Any ideas anyone?

Hi :D You could eat them :lol: or draw pictures on them, I used to do this on my daughters banana's in her school lunch box, but not anymore, she's 12 now !

I'm sure there must be a low carb banana cake recipe on the forum or slice one up and put in with a Greek yogurt, or fried in butter. I love banana's, but I only eat them from the skin, too many carbs with added ingredients, but years a go I did love banana and custard, yummy. I'm sure you will find something delicious.

RRB

RobinLondon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Robinredbreast said:
Hi :D You could eat them :lol: or draw pictures on them, I used to do this on my daughters banana's in her school lunch box, but not anymore, she's 12 now !
Never underestimate how satisfying it is to write on a banana with a ball point pen! Try it if you don't believe me...

Sent from my brain.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
RobinLondon said:
Robinredbreast said:
Never underestimate how satisfying it is to write on a banana with a ball point pen! Try it if you don't believe me...

Sent from my brain.

I used to draw a dog with floppy ears, a sheep which looked like 2 clouds on stick legs, a flower or write, See you after school, or have a good day and a smilie face :D Everybody should write on a banana at some time in their lives, it's a good feeling for you and the recipient.

All the best RRB

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My family love these and I find I can have one as a treat with no effects on my bs

Cut them in half across the middle leave the skin on - stick a lolly stick or wooden kebab stick in the flat end and freeze them - makes great creamy ice lollies, and at about 7g of carb for half a small banana a lower carb alternative to commercial frozen treats.

If you really want to treat yourself you can dip them in melted dark choc and roll then in chopped nuts once you have taken them out of the freezer, remember to peel them before eating or adding choc etc :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
gezzathorpe said:

Well I don't know what others do with theirs but I like to eat mine :lol:

Lidl is great for fruit and veg and it's where we get most of ours, I have a banana every day with my lunch and again if I'm out for a long walk.

A

Anonymous

Well done. You win first prize for noticing I was being tongue-in-cheek. ;-)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lovinglife said:
My family love these and I find I can have one as a treat with no effects on my bs

Cut them in half across the middle leave the skin on - stick a lolly stick or wooden kebab stick in the flat end and freeze them - makes great creamy ice lollies, and at about 7g of carb for half a small banana a lower carb alternative to commercial frozen treats.

If you really want to treat yourself you can dip them in melted dark choc and roll then in chopped nuts once you have taken them out of the freezer, remember to peel them before eating or adding choc etc :lol:

wow cool idea, Thankyou!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Stick about 6 or more of them in a blender with a few shots of dark rum, same amount of orange juice and plenty of ice. Then it's banana daiquiri time 8) This is best done on a very hot day :)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
gezzathorpe said:

Love ya Gezza!! :wave: I had some ideas....Well ya know! :wink: I did used to love a banana split in the old days..Bloody lovely! :thumbup:

LittleWolf

*cries* bananas are responsible for the last two readings over 15 >_<

But they so tasty. I second the banana bread recipe with yoghurt and lots egg and butter, but of nutmeg and cinnamon perhaps a little vanilla extract and you can throw in some ground nuts/seeds.

I love baking... And Lidl is great for all sorts of treat. I bought a £3 bag of prawns and ate it over 2 weeks... Pâté, sausage, fresh fruit, and seafood- those luxury things you put back on the shelf lol you can treat yourself in Lidl

Anyone tried their Milbona fruit yoghurt? Its half the price of Müller fruit corners, a bit bigger and tastier!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss my banana I used to have with my morning porridge most days :'-(

I'm low on potassium. Kinda weird as I don't add salt to anything and my sodium level was right within thevmiddle of the range in my last set of U&E tests. I'm looking for sources of dietary potassium. Bananas are a good source and fruit in general, except apples and berries which are the only fruit I can tolerate :-(

I'm getting some from cucumber, celery and spinach, but here's only so much celery anyone can eat…

A

Anonymous

janeecee said:
I miss my banana I used to have with my morning porridge most days :'-(

I'm low on potassium. Kinda weird as I don't add salt to anything and my sodium level was right within thevmiddle of the range in my last set of U&E tests. I'm looking for sources of dietary potassium. Bananas are a good source and fruit in general, except apples and berries which are the only fruit I can tolerate :-(

I'm getting some from cucumber, celery and spinach, but here's only so much celery anyone can eat…

Don't forget that celery has a relatively high salt content, more than just about any other vegetable. I dehydrate 'saggy' celery and grind into celery salt. Quote from the gospel according to the internet ... "Unlike many other vegetables, celery is relatively high in salt (sodium). The average stalk of celery contains about 35 mg of sodium. Those on a diet of 1000 mg or less of sodium may wish to avoid celery and choose a lower-sodium vegetable."

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
My salt/sodium intake is not too bad though tinned fish and ryvitas probably contain the most salt that I consume. MyFitnessPal tells me I consume fairly low levels of sodium bearing in mind that the salt/sodium content of every food is not necessarily listed in the database. Never knew celery contained that much salt though, but I guess the potassium content balances it out somewhat.

H

Hooked

lovinglife said:

Sounds great; I'm going to have to try this! 8)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I bought three bananas last week funnily enough first time ive bought them in a while, I dont find any problems after eating a small banana, although I am told that the riper they are the higher the sugar content which is why I only buy two or three at a time so they are never more than two or three days out of the shop before I eat them :thumbup:

LittleWolf

Actually I found there was one left in the pot and 1 hour is 14.6... Ok... Maybe if I do the low carb thing for a while I can introduced stuff like that again, then keep alternating.