Low Glomerular filtration rate (GFR)

MarathonMan81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Was diagnosed with Type 1 last Monday as my fasting glucose level was 21.2! (Originally complained of rapid weight loss and painful foot cramps at night!)

But feeling so much better already after just 8 days on the insulin, especially the uninterrupted sleep! But looking on my blood test results in detail my GFR was on the low side, 70 mL/min (Should be more than 90)

Is this a normal reading after being first diagnosed and will it eventually increase? Doctor says it's nothing to worry about, but being classed as 'Stage 2 mildly reduced kidney function' has be a bit worried :?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Being diagnosed T2 - and taking control of your diet and lifestyle will be a life-saver. You will have lots of questions that will be answered from experience on the forum.

Several years ago my Dr told me they were "watching" my eGFR - then in the 60s. It's still in the 60s, after about 10 years of reporting. I note on the latest report from the blood tests they give the acceptable range as 60-9999, whereas previously it was 90-9999.

AFAIK, its not kidney disease, but slightly reduced function.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
IanD said:
Being diagnosed T2 - and taking control of your diet and lifestyle will be a life-saver.

IanD, the OP is type 1 as they say in their post.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Did someone actually say that you had stage 2 CKD? To have CKD you need to have not just a slightly reduced estimated filtration rate but also some other abnormality (ie protein in urine or something physically wrong with the kidneys)
In Stage 1 CKD kidney function is normal but there is other evidence of kidney disease. Stage 2 CKD is mildly reduced kidney function, GFR 60-89mls/min/1.73m2 Both stages require other evidence of kidney disease, for example...
http://www.renal.org/whatwedo/Informati ... -2CKD.aspx
You also wouldn't be diagnosed on one test. Most people only have an estimated function test in any case; unless there was suspicion of a problem they would at least repeat the test (and probably do others)
My initial efgr was somewhere around yours and it worried me as I thought that it could only get worse and would be at stage 3 within a few years. Eight years later the level is higher than it was at diagnosis and I no longer worry about it. (I have had good control and I think that is very important)

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Most people will have a reduced level, it decreases as you age.

Mine is between 21% - 26% which must sound dreadful to you all but I feel absolutely fine, the lowest I have ever been is 18%. I have been in the 20's for about 5 years now and have Stage 4 CKD, if I drop below 15 then I will be Stage 5 and in need of dialysis/transplant. I am hoping to avoid this

Lorna